9Likes
  • 1 Post By 2wheelrob
  • 5 Post By sailor
  • 2 Post By 2wheelrob
  • 1 Post By guitarjim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 11:54 am Thread Starter

Higher Mileage Bike. How long to trust?

I just picked up a 2002 K1200LT with just under 85k miles on it. After doing the oil changes Eng, tran & fd, I got to take it out for about a 240 mile ride.

Wow! What a great bike!
It appears the bike was taken care of (1st owner about 78k and the 2nd owner had it about 6k). The bike ran very well and I was impressed how smooth and comfortable it was. It made my friend with his new 2018 Goldwing question the $29k he just spent.

I have a 4 day trip of about 1200 miles coming up in a couple weeks and was going to take my 2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000 but after the ride yesterday I am thinking about taking the K1200.
How long after getting your used higher mileage K bikes did you trust it for a multi day trip and how did your first trip go?
kbob12 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 12:16 pm

Re: Higher Mileage Bike. How long to trust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelrob View Post
I just picked up a 2002 K1200LT with just under 85k miles on it. After doing the oil changes Eng, tran & fd, I got to take it out for about a 240 mile ride.

Wow! What a great bike!
It appears the bike was taken care of (1st owner about 78k and the 2nd owner had it about 6k). The bike ran very well and I was impressed how smooth and comfortable it was. It made my friend with his new 2018 Goldwing question the $29k he just spent.

I have a 4 day trip of about 1200 miles coming up in a couple weeks and was going to take my 2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000 but after the ride yesterday I am thinking about taking the K1200.
How long after getting your used higher mileage K bikes did you trust it for a multi day trip and how did your first trip go?
Welcome to the K1200LT community !

Having done my own maintenance for 40 years and also some maintenance for friends motorcycles, in my mind the trust should come ONLY after you have gone thru the WHOLE bike (maintenance wise). This is my experience with many older bikes I have seen around me (friends) and I always assume my life depends on checking everything (particulary related to brakes and any critical drive-train components).

Anytime you buy a 10 to 15 years old vehicle (car or motorcycle), it is bound to have some mechanical surprises. Even if it looks clean and low mileage, it may have issues from not running much (parked too much and too long).

There are a lot of threads here already on the list of things to check and replace on a 10+ years old K1200LT - unless you have HARD PROOF they have been done fairly recently.
In order of most common for K1200LT - this is just a starting / minimum list:
1) replace gearbox and final drive oil (check deposits on magnetic bolt)

2) replace original black rubber brake hoses from factory (stainless kit exist for less than OEM parts)

3) bleed the whole brake system (ABS)

4) replace black plastic fuel quick connectors

5) check tires weight rating (rear is critical and some owners have installed incorrect rated rear tire)

6) replace fuel filter and internal fuel hoses (short fuel hoses before and after fuel-filter inside tank)

7) check correct torque specs for critical bolts (brakes, wheels, fork, swing-arm, rear-drive...)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 95,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Welcome to the K1200LT community !

Having done my own maintenance for 40 years and also some maintenance for friends motorcycles, in my mind the trust should come ONLY after you have gone thru the WHOLE bike (maintenance wise). This is my experience with many older bikes I have seen around me (friends) and I always assume my life depends on checking everything (particulary related to brakes and any critical drive-train components).

Anytime you buy a 10 to 15 years old vehicle (car or motorcycle), it is bound to have some mechanical surprises. Even if it looks clean and low mileage, it may have issues from not running much (parked too much and too long).

There are a lot of threads here already on the list of things to check and replace on a 10+ years old K1200LT - unless you have HARD PROOF they have been done fairly recently.
In order of most common for K1200LT - this is just a starting / minimum list:
1) replace gearbox and final drive oil (check deposits on magnetic bolt)

2) replace original black rubber brake hoses from factory (stainless kit exist for less than OEM parts)

3) bleed the whole brake system (ABS)

4) replace black plastic fuel quick connectors

5) check tires weight rating (rear is critical and some owners have installed incorrect rated rear tire)

6) replace fuel filter and internal fuel hoses (short fuel hoses before and after fuel-filter inside tank)

7) check correct torque specs for critical bolts (brakes, wheels, fork, swing-arm, rear-drive...)
Thanks for the advice. I need to get a service manual and definitely want to get the brake bleeding funnel from Beemerboneyard to do the bleeding from the ABS to the calipers.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 2:29 pm

Paid for my '02 and took off on a 400+ mile ride back to my house. The LT chews up the highway/freeway miles with ease at any speed you want to go. I would definitely take the bike on the multi-day ride but that is me. Only you know how well the bike is performing as we are there to see it, hear it, feel and truly know it's condition. From the upgrades you mentioned elsewhere, it sounds like the previous owner liked the bike a lot and took care of it. If it did great at 240 miles, I am sure all will go well. Enjoy! (If you are traveling with the Goldwing friend, don't make him too jealous and be sure to wait on him when canyon carving.)

My trip home went great as has many other trips.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Paid for my '02 and took off on a 400+ mile ride back to my house. The LT chews up the highway/freeway miles with ease at any speed you want to go. I would definitely take the bike on the multi-day ride but that is me. Only you know how well the bike is performing as we are there to see it, hear it, feel and truly know it's condition. From the upgrades you mentioned elsewhere, it sounds like the previous owner liked the bike a lot and took care of it. If it did great at 240 miles, I am sure all will go well. Enjoy! (If you are traveling with the Goldwing friend, don't make him too jealous and be sure to wait on him when canyon carving.)

My trip home went great as has many other trips.
The ride went very well, which made me think about taking it on my upcoming trip. I got a chance to check out the handling coming down a mountain pass. At the bottom my friend with the GW said the bike looked solid while his new GW was wallowing a bit. I couldn't allow myself to let him know that I was still riding at a "check it out safely" pace and that the K1200 was just cruising.
Munmi and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 5th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Quote:
The ride went very well, which made me think about taking it on my upcoming trip. I got a chance to check out the handling coming down a mountain pass. At the bottom my friend with the GW said the bike looked solid while his new GW was wallowing a bit. I couldn't allow myself to let him know that I was still riding at a "check it out safely" pace and that the K1200 was just cruising.
Yep! At least you aren't afraid of RPMs like most new LT owners. You can run these babies up and scream out of corners/curves - at least for a behemoth touring bike. As was suggested, take her out and hit the brakes hard if they haven't been replaced. If all goes well, take the trip. Then, let us know how the long trip goes.
2wheelrob likes this.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 6th, 2018, 10:45 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I need to get a service manual and definitely want to get the brake bleeding funnel from Beemerboneyard to do the bleeding from the ABS to the calipers.

You really don't need the funnel as you can easily see the level in the reservoir while flushing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	res 2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	147857   Click image for larger version

Name:	res 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	147859  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in