Used LT, may need a few things - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Smile Used LT, may need a few things

I must say I'm glad I found this forum, and information is already flowing through the grey matter at a rapid pace.

I recently bought a 2000 K1200LT, and I must say, I am more than suprized with the performance and handling. I still don't know why so many raise an issue about low speed handling (it's not a Honda CB 350 yanno).

Anyhow, the bike has a cassette player that compliments the radio, and I'm looking at changing it to a regular CD unit..is there one available ? I dont use the radio much, but the SO likes it when 2 up.

Next is the intercom...I just cant figure it out, and it seems that headsets etc did not come with the bike. I've been browsing the forums, but still a bit lost on this topic.

Third, and it's a very discussed topic, what kind, and what viscosity oil should I be using ???

Regular 20-50 Pennzoil in my CBX for 15 years...never a problem.

Fourth, how much should I prepare to pay for a valve adjustment ??? ( that's about the only service item I cannot do at home)

Regards
Cliff

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:43 pm

First of all, congratulations on the purchase. I also have a 2000 LT, and like you, I don't really think the slow speed handling is bad at all. Secondly, before you change the cassette player, you might think about just using it with an adaptor with an Ipod or MP3 player. That is what I do with mine, and it work out so much better than carrying CD's. I am thinking about taking my 6 CD changer out to make more room in the rear case. Does your bike need a valve adjustment?? If not, why worry about it. There are 100's of different opinion here about what type of oil you can use, and which ones you shouldn't use. I think most agree that 20W50 is the correct viscosity, at least during the summer months, but whether it needs to be motorcycle specific is a whole different topic. I use 20W50 synthetic Amsoil for motorcycles. Again, good luck with the bike, and welcome!! jrlakin
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:58 pm

welcome..
I would keep the cassette. Get an adapter and play an MP3 player through it.. (you can get an MP3 player for around $80. I bought my wife a Sansa mSeries.. http://www.sandisk.com/Music/posting/index.asp. Or get a "transmitter" that you can tune to an FM radio station... set and go!

Friendly suggestion.. don't ask about OIL!! hahah.. it is the way many holy wars have begun. I would run what the previous owner ran... I run the Amsoil 20-50 for motorcycles.. very pleased.

Also, run the BMW filter....a bit more money but it's not painted and no one's sure whether the paint from a regular filter will come off... so far none have been "reported".

When time for a "valve" adjustment (every 24k miles), search out a "tech session" in your area or ride over to Texas... we'll be happy to help.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Wink

I had to change the radio on my '99 because it just wasn't sounding very good. So I put the new single CD unit in it's place. Fits in just like the other except that you need a little converter cable for the antenna interface. ascycles.com can help you find the part numbers you need.

If your intercomm is the BC1 or BC2, you are in good shape. There is an accessory port for a personal radio and one for a cell phone. An MP3 player, plugged into the aux port, may eliminate the need to replace the cassette for a CD. (A new radio runs ~ $600) You will have to get the headsets from your local BMW dealer. They are expensive ($200 ea) but J&M Corp makes a good product that will serve you for years.

As for oil.... everyone has their favorite. If your CBX has been going that long on the Pennzoil, I think the K12 would do just fine with it. I use ****** 20W-50 full synthetic just so I don't have to change the oil so often. I go 7K between changes.

Just sold my '99, with 97K miles on it and picked up a sweet little '03 with onlt 17K.

This bulletin board is the best tool you've got to help you maintain your LT. Get the maintenance CD and Paul Seigh's informative video's.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Paul McClure - Houston, Texas
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 5:44 pm

Oh SH_T HERE WE GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
I run the Amsoil 20-50 for motorcycles.. very pleased.

Also, run the BMW filter....a bit more money but it's not painted and no one's sure whether the paint from a regular filter will come off... so far none have been "reported".

Hope Tim ain't watchin'!!!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
I must say I'm glad I found this forum, and information is already flowing through the grey matter at a rapid pace.

I recently bought a 2000 K1200LT, and I must say, I am more than suprized with the performance and handling. I still don't know why so many raise an issue about low speed handling (it's not a Honda CB 350 yanno).

Anyhow, the bike has a cassette player that compliments the radio, and I'm looking at changing it to a regular CD unit..is there one available ? I dont use the radio much, but the SO likes it when 2 up.

Next is the intercom...I just cant figure it out, and it seems that headsets etc did not come with the bike. I've been browsing the forums, but still a bit lost on this topic.

Third, and it's a very discussed topic, what kind, and what viscosity oil should I be using ???

Regular 20-50 Pennzoil in my CBX for 15 years...never a problem.

Fourth, how much should I prepare to pay for a valve adjustment ??? ( that's about the only service item I cannot do at home)

Regards
Cliff
Since you are new, I would like to invite you to a RTE as quoted below and not to far from your local.
Decisions, decisions,
which of the two upcoming Florida RTE’s will you attend? Both?
There are two, yes two upcoming opportunities to get out and ride
while the rest of the nation is huddled up next to their wood burning stoves
The first one is Saturday January 13th at the Westgate River Ranch Resort. Around Noon

Previously discussed in this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16868

It is located in the center of the state on SR 60 next to the Kissimmee river
The main gate is at. Lat/Lon 27 48 299 - 081 13 183
http://www.westgateriverranch.com/

Possible attendees are

Lynn Keene.......... Central Florida.......... Lynn Keene
Smokinjoe............ .Marco Island............ D. Joe & Cathy
Silverbuffalo......... St. Petersburg.......... Hans and Pat Ruys
alindsay............... Melbourne................ Alex Lindsay
Patric...................Zephyrhills.............. ...Patric Blackman
cburton3...............Melbourne.................. Curtis Burton
Copy and paste to add your name to the list

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then the second event is on Saturday January 27th at Cedar Key Florida
a gathering of BMW riders sponsored by BMW Sport Touring Group
Hope to see you there!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #7 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac2005
I had to change the radio on my '99 because it just wasn't sounding very good. So I put the new single CD unit in it's place. Fits in just like the other except that you need a little converter cable for the antenna interface. ascycles.com can help you find the part numbers you need.

Paul McClure - Houston, Texas
What did it cost to replace the cassette radio with a Single CD radio.. and where did you get it?? or better yet what should I expect to pay..??

I sure would like to have an AUX port...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:53 pm

Welcome to the forum, since most of your questions have already been addressed I'll comment on the intercom, if you've never had one before you and your passenger are going to love it,
What you'll need are a couple of J&M headsets and lower cords,
the lower cords are only available at your friendly neighborhood BMW dealer,
they come in two lengths, rider and passenger, the headsets you might find on Ebay
You'll find the music in your helmet much more enjoyable
as well as being able to talk at a normal tone with your passenger.
I would like to second Joe's invite to our upcoming RTE,
come meet some of the boys and look at some of the things we've done with our bikes

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in