BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Spongy Front Brakes

997 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bmwcoolk1200 
#1 ·
Hey there everyone! I was out riding earlier today and I noticed that my front brakes are what I can only describe as "spongy", in that they are really aren't effectively stopping the bike.

I know that the front brake hose has been replaced, I topped off the master at the perch (just to be sure it wasn't a little low, and visually it looks like the pads still have life in them. I haven't bled the system yet (I really only added maybe an ounce of fluid or less) but that's my next course of action. Has anyone else had spongy or less effective braking with the front brakes? If so.....any solutions?

#3 ·
First question. Have ALL of the brake lines been replaced? If so, then I would check your front wheel bearings for play allowing the wheel to wobble pushing the pistons farther away and forcing more movement of the brake handle to re-center the wheel and efficiently apply brake pressure. If all of that is good, then you may have gotten some air in the lines or possibly the master cylinder is failing. Difficult to say what from afar but those are things you can check.

#4 ·
So interesting question.....no not ALL the lines have been replaced on the bike. The front yes, the rear no. In fact the rear line blew out completely the other day....right before I notice the spongy braking. Are the brakes linked? I had assumed on the 99 they were not?

I'm replacing the rear line this afternoon (as long as UPS delivers them as they claim they will!!)

Will I need to bleed the front and rear at that point?

#5 ·
on the 99, they are not linked. If all the front lines have been replaced, I would use the down time to go through the things I listed and a front bleed might not be a bad idea. Was the line in the handlebars also replaced? How long ago were they replaced and were they " good " afterwards and this sponginess is something new to the mix? I take it you DID NOT go with the full Spiegler stainless braided set of lines since you dind't do them all at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.