Solo Riding 200 mile days-LT or RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Solo Riding 200 mile days-LT or RT

My wife doesn't go with me. I love the LT but the slow speed handling truthfully is a flaw. How is the RT in terms of comfort compared to the LT? I usually go about 200 miles per day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:59 am

The question is Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
My wife doesn't go with me. I love the LT but the slow speed handling truthfully is a flaw. How is the RT in terms of comfort compared to the LT? I usually go about 200 miles per day.
Why does your wife not ride with you? It can't be the bike - surely? Low speed handling definitely takes practice. It can be mastered however. There are many threads pertaining to this. Differences between LT and RT are in the eye of the beholder. I like my LT because it's not an RT. It's got all the features that you'll ever need and then some. Take the RT for a ride and decide.

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Frankly, if 200 miles per day is what you want and that is all, the RT or ANY BMW will suit you nicely. The LT is the most comfortable but is not my favorite at slow speed. If the 200 was what I wanted period I would ride my R1100GS or even an airhead. I have ridden airheads up to about 400 per day comfortably.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:25 pm

Any motorized 2-wheeled vehicle will do 200 miles/day easily. But I can tell you from experience that the GT will do it faster than the LT or RT. And slow-speed maneuvering on the GT (or RT) is effortless. Little to no practice or training needed. The RT is probably the cheapest/easiest to maintain out of the 3.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:37 pm

I would have purchased a rocket or sport-touring (I wanted an Interceptor really bad) if I only planned 100-200 mile "spins around the block." Turned out what I wanted was a big rig I could ride to the South, one of the Coasts, or to Alaska. The radio/cd changer, comfort, and trailer in the future were high priority for me... and something the SO would enjoy. She loves the LT

Depends what your priorities are! Good luck!
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:57 pm

My wife didn't like riding the RT, she loves the LT. RT can do 400 mile days with ease. I've done 800 mile days on the LT. I may be different, but I prefer the way the LT handles over the RT, slow speed just takes practice and confidence. It is still a very personal decision.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:08 pm

I've only ridden an RT about 150 miles a GT a little more. I'd say compared to my LT the RT was a very comfortable ride. The riding position is different so you really have to judge for yourself. It feels tons lighter (260lbs) and as Joe said the RT & GT slow speed handling is, well, I didn't even think about it.

Given the 200 mile days and solo riding etc.. I'd rank 'em this way 1) R12RT 2) K12GT 3) K12LT. The LT is a distant 3rd given your criteria whereas for my riding preferance I'd pick the GT (slightly) over the RT. For 800+ days and 2-up riding the LT wins hands down.

Still this will always have to be your choice and you won't know until you have ridden each one. Case in point I bought a GSA last May to do some LD & off road riding up north of the Arctic circle. I never thought that I would keep this bike after I was done with these trips. Boy was I wrong this bike has replaced both my LT (now sold) & my Buell (may sell).

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:31 pm

It is personal. For me, I would get the LT to travel 200 miles per day no problem. Heck I love commuting on mine 40 miles round trip. However If my commute or my 200 mile day consisted of a lot of City driving with lights, traffic etc that would be a different answer. Even if one is good at it, it still a big bike that has crappy low speed handling. But people do that kind of riding all the time on LT's, and people take sport bikes on week long trips putting on thousands of miles.

I ride solo on my LT most of the time for commuting and for 5000 mile trips. Just as I ride solo in my 4 door sedan. The sedan is very smooth, quiet and comfortable, with lots of room and goodies to keep me warm and occupied. My track-prepared 911 (now sold) could get me across the country too, in great time, and be a lot of fun. There were times when I wouldn't trade it for anything. But it did take more concentration and effort to drive, and didn't have all the goodies. In some ways the LT is my 4 dr sedan and the GT is my 911. They both work, but in different ways.

For me, right now, the benefits of overall comfort, goodies, wind and weather protection, and relatively modest handling of the LT outweigh the great handling, riding position and reduced weather protection and goodies found on the GT. But that is based on my current state of mind, the type of riding I do, when I ride, where I live, and the roads I ride on most of the time.

The RT seems to find middle ground between these two bikes. I have friends who ride them and love them, but I am not sure if the RT does either end of the spectrum as well as the LT or GT.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:37 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
The RT is plenty comforatble for short days like that. Many IBA guys ride the RT so you can do many more...and it does handle much better at slow speeds than the LT...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 4:10 pm

Quote:
RT baby! Plus the vibration keeps you "company"

BTW, I have both...

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:03 pm

RT vs LT.

1st- Joe means that the GT handles HIS slow speed--ie, > 70.

I've had RT, LT, and now GS. All are great.

RT is much lighter than LT, Less room, more vibration fatigue.
LT is plush, plenty of room, little vibration.
GSA 1150 is big/tall, light weight, less vibration than my '97 RT.

Which one handles?- GS, RT, then LT. However, like Dragon says, the LT takes some getting used to. I saw the BMW rep do 360 in <19'.!!! The GS is easiest to turn and handle.

Which would I keep? the GS and LT (have both). For longer days (200++) the LT wins my vote and the GSA is 2nd.

Wind protection- LT, RT, GS w/ Aeroflow.
Performence- ALL.. the LT really wakes up @5,000++. The RT & GS have great engine braking, the LT does if you are up in the RPM.

Fuel millage- all are about 43-48.

Ride them all, but don't let the enitial feel of the LT trip you. It's a kick in the mountains and will embaress some more sporty rides!!!!

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in