1200LT vs. Gold Wing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

1200LT vs. Gold Wing

Been riding Harleys for 33 yrs. Now have an 05 Hertiage Softtail Classic..I'm going to keep the Soft tail.. The bikes are equipped about the same, heated seats, grips, ABS, GPS, am-fm radio, com hook up, the Honda dealer is willing to discount almost $4500. less than the LT..I have not ridden either bike and I will before I make my choice.......My question to you guy's (and girls) Is there 5K difference in the two bikes, if the BMW dealer does not want to deal.........Thanks for any help you might have..........Storman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 6:35 pm

Wink Just ride them

There is a lot of information on this site comparing the two bikes that a search will pull up. Can't imagine making a decision based upon someone else's opinion vs a ride. Once you've put a few miles under your belt it should be easy to decide. The bikes are different and one will speak to you. Ride the one that makes you smile. It's a no brainer.......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by storman
Been riding Harleys for 33 yrs. Now have an 05 Hertiage Softtail Classic..I'm going to keep the Soft tail.. The bikes are equipped about the same, heated seats, grips, ABS, GPS, am-fm radio, com hook up, the Honda dealer is willing to discount almost $4500. less than the LT..I have not ridden either bike and I will before I make my choice.......My question to you guy's (and girls) Is there 5K difference in the two bikes, if the BMW dealer does not want to deal.........Thanks for any help you might have..........Storman
Yup - what Dano sed. Here is a thread to get ya started. And if you input < GL1800 vs K1200LT > in the search box, you'll get several more threads on the topic. Good luck in finding the right bike for you.

post #4 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 6:48 pm

I would be on a wing if the "bead" in the seat back hadn't irritated my fuzed lower spine.

They are both very fine machines.

http://www.yellowwolfvideos.com/
post #5 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:12 pm

Is an LT worth $5K more than Wing? I don't know. Is a GT worth $8K more than a Yamaha FJR? I think so. Is your Softtail worth more than a Honda Shadow? Getting the picture yet?

Buy the bike that YOU want to buy.
post #6 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:14 pm

That large of a discount (on the Honda) suggests you are purchasing from a large Honda dealer in Chattanooga (Southern Honda, IIRC...?). They have fabulous pricing. Don't forget you'll still probably pay your state sales tax when you return home to register it, and don't pick up your bike on a weekend -- they are way too busy.

You must ride both bikes to make this decision. You'll have an easier time doing that at a BMW shop, in my experience. I've taken several GW test rides, but some shops won't do it; I've never had a BMW dealer blink an eye regarding a test ride. Their standard line is: "Bring it back before we close!"

IMO when you do a true apples-to-apples price comparison the 2 bikes cost about the same, so it's gotta be which bike you like best. If you need limitless torque for trailer-towing the GW may be the way to go. Many LT riders tow trailers too, of course. If you're riding two-up take your passenger with you. (apologies in advance if that is painfully obvious...)

Good luck!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 8:32 pm

Grunt - Winner GW
Ergos - Winner LT
Twisties - Winner LT
Milage - Winner LT
Low Speed Handling - Winner GW
Reliability - Winner GW
Web Support Group - Winner LT
Options - Winner LT
Price - Winner GW
Two Up - Winner - Tie

Conclusion: Ride them both. Your priorities will be different from others. Both are great bikes. If I wasn't riding an LT I would be on a Wing. The LT suited me a little better so I bought one and have never looked back.
post #8 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Both bikes are great, I've tested both several times.. but still have not bought.

I like the KLT better and so does the wife but distance of dealership and maintenance prices are a concern on the Beemer. But the biggest thing keeping me from buying either is that I currently ride a 750 Kawasaki and while I want a good two up machine so my wife will take trips with me, I know 80% of my riding will be solo and know I will miss the handling of a smaller bike.

I know, doesn't help you,, go test ride both bikes, take the one that gives you the biggest smile,, you can't go wrong.
post #9 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:55 pm

Comparo

I put 55k on a GL1500, then another 60K on a Valkryie (which I liked better), then test rode the GL1800, and bought a Harley. The GW18 felt like a mini-bike, and did not fit my large frame at all - the stealer said "well you could make it OK for just $2,500 or so..."

That's not farkles, that's stuff to make it rideable - a new seat (more like the GW15, new bars, etc. (note that my SO does not weigh 300#).

After two years of trying to get comfortable touring on the Harley - I found my '06 K12LT.

The GW might fit you, but the LT fits me. A lot of folks here comment on the weight of the LT - they have not ridden either the old GWs or a Valk. My GW never felt a stable on the back roads as my LT did on it's first outing, and both of the Hondas together didn't have the available space of the LT.

I would have saved a TON of cash, had I found the LT sooner.

Good Luck -
post #10 of 41 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:25 pm
Super Moderator

Go ride them both and figure out which one you like the best. I came from Harleys to BMWs about 10 years ago, and when I moved to LTs I tried the Wing as well. Sure, I could have saved some money going with the Wing, but I would not have enjoyed the ride 1/4 as much as I do on the LT (which I've had 3 of now).

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #11 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:15 am

Storman,
If as I think you mentioned, you will be riding one up 80% of the time, the R1200RT is worth a test ride as well. Other than tht suggestion, I would echo what others have said. Ride 'em all and then decide.
post #12 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:30 am

In my case, buying used, I bought an LT because of the lousy resale value vs the GW. I would have bought a GW because of the dealer network had I been able to buy for same price. I'm far too cheap to buy new. I wouldn't pay for a BMW CAR what an LT costs, but that's just me. I would pay for a new GW at $15 - $17K, if it wouldn't have put such a strain on the family finances. I'm probably the poorest LT owner on earth, but I don;t mind.

I don;t mind riding the hour to the dealer. I just hope it will always run to get there, so I don't have to load it up. I would have to go 45 min to a Honda dealer I would use. The local has seen the last of my money.

With that said, it all comes down to which bike "speaks" to you loudest. I know owners of both bikes, as well as HD glide owners. Each is loyal to their brand for their own reasons. Good luck with your purchase.

Randy
post #13 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:32 am

Quote:
How tall are you? If less than 6' you will probably like the GW better.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #14 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
I'm probably the poorest LT owner on earth, but I don;t mind.
I'll bet you're not.

I bought an LT mostly on the strength of the dealer. We (my wife and I) had gone to look at a GW, and no one from the Honda dealer would even get up from their desks to talk to us.

I have no idea if the GW is better but I like my LT.
post #15 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 8:14 am

Quote:
Shop around for the LT...you should be able to find someone to deal, especially on an '06. I got my '06 LT new for almost exactly the same price that Southern would sell me a Nav-ABS GW for. And with the free Nav3 I feel I got more bike for the money...better trim and comm system.

That being said, I would echo everything above....ride both. I spent a week on a rental Wing before making my decision. Loved the Wing, but love the LT more.

If you are coming off a Harley, the GW will probably feel more "comfortable" at first...it is the more Harley like of the two in terms of seating and balance. So give the LT a few miles to make up your mind. It will feel very squirrelly for the first few feet and the power brakes will scare you at the first slow speed stop (you get used to these quickly). I would bring my SO, but spend a few minutes on either bike solo first. In my opinion both bikes ride better with two up, but handling is definitely easier solo.

Also worth noting...my closest Honda dealer is miles away; BMW dealer is 75 miles away. It was a factor, but not the biggest one by any means.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #16 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 9:19 am

all three

I have a Ultra and an LT, and this past fall I was in Las Vegas and rented a GW for three days. I like them all for different reasons. I think the GW is a great bike. It is smooth, has tons of torque and HP, and very very comfortable. MY wife loved the riders seat, and thinks it is by far the most comfortable of the three. The Dealer network is definitely there, and I am told they are very reliable and not terribly expensive to maintain. I am told it is a rarity for a Dealer to let you take one for a test ride though!! I think the riding position on the Ultra is wonderful. The seat is comfortable (at least for me) and highway pegs are relatively cheap and easy to install to change riding positons on longer trips. It is completely different to ride than the GW or the LT. It is much hotter to ride in the summer, and suprisingly colder in the winter--because of the way the air hits you. They do hold their resale much better than either the GW, and especially the LT. They don't have nearly as much HP as either of the others. It doesn't have a abs system available, nor alot of the other amenities the other two do have. My Utlra has always been reliable, and the Dealer network is great. I think the LT is the most fun to ride for sure. I love the way it handles and rides. It gets the best gas mileage of the three (the Harley being second, and the GW third in that catagory), and one has to love the confort and convenience of the controls and the onboard computer--not to mention the ABS system etc. My biggest concern on the LT is the lack of Dealers, and the expense of repairs, and the lack of resale value!! I would never buy another one that wasn't covered by a Warranty, which in itself is a connumdrum, since that means you have to buy a new one, or get a used one and buy an extended service package at considerable expense. From just a riding standpoint, (meaning fun factor, safety, convenience, and mileage) I think the LT is #1. However, next time I am going to seriously think about a GW, unless BMW changes some of it policies and starts encouraging and developing a larger dealer network. The LT is definitely the most fun to ride!!!! Just my opinion. jrlakin
post #17 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:22 am Thread Starter

GW vs LT

My sincere thanks to all of you for the information and thoughs you presented....I know my biggest problem is over researching ( I've spent hours on this web site reading all I could about LT's, RT's & GT's) rather than pulling the trigger and making a decision..I'm hoping to ride both bikes next week weather permitting.......I'd like to say something about this web-site..I'm impressed with the amount of knowledge aviable about the BMW's and related M/C products, I stumbled across the web-site doing research on the BMW's and have personally gained from the site...Now, for the many, many responses I've received from Y'all, (yep, a southern boy) I can't tell you how much I appreciate the responses..In fact this web site will play a part in making my decision........Again many thanks..Storman
post #18 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:29 am

I have to say the collective knowledge of members on this web site is incredible!!! jrlakin
post #19 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:59 am

Two Quick Thoughts...

Two quick thoughts dealing with test rides...

First, the IMS is going to be in Atlanta Feb 23-25. The demo rides are a bit questionable, but there will be significant factory presence there. Nice to get there and look around a bit. Where else are you going to see a Boss Hoss Stunt Team? Go here for more:

http://motorcycleshows.com/motorcycleshows/

Secondly, see if you can make it down to Daytona for Bike Week 07 March 2-11. If you plan to get to the Speedway early to sign up, the demo rides can be awesome. As stated previously in this thread, it can be hard to find a Gold Wing to demo. You need to get there very early, because the signup sheets for the wings fill up fast. Go here and search for demo rides:

http://www.daytonachamber.com./dbwcalendar/index.cfm

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #20 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Same 'ol same 'ol

Quote:
the Honda dealer is willing to discount almost $4500. less than the LT..I have not ridden either bike and I will before I make my choice.......My question to you guy's (and girls) Is there 5K difference in the two bikes, if the BMW dealer does not want to deal.........Thanks for any help you might have..........Storman
Sounds about right, they can't give Honda GWs away in South Africa either! You will definitely get a ride on an LT from your local BMW dealer, but a test ride on a GW - doubtful. You have to buy one on hearsay. There are MANY threads on this site that cover the perceived differences between the LT and GW, and as you will read, friends never let friends ride a GW!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #21 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Quote:
----------...Now, for the many, many responses I've received from Y'all, (yep, a southern boy) I can't tell you how much I appreciate the responses..In fact this web site will play a part in making my decision........Again many thanks..Storman
As an ex southerner, probably soon to be one again, welcome.

This group is a great advantage to LT owners, and I have not even had a bike since totaling my second LT two years ago. Still here though, as a LARGE part of my LT experience enjoyment was this group! Had to give up the bike, but nothing said I had to give up the group, so I am still here.

I think one thing you have probably noticed, the answers you get here relative to brand comparisons are usually thoughtful and logical, with the admonishments to get "WHAT YOU WANT", after riding them all. I dare say you will get a somewhat different slant if you post the same question on the other brand web groups! Especially Harley.

My son in law had a '97 Heritage Soft tail, and that is what got me back into riding again. I finally got him to take the LT out once when he was home on leave. He was a dyed in the wooll Harley addict, started when he was 15 on a Sportster. He came back from the ride with a big grin, and said "Wow, what an adrenalin rush!" He is no longer a staunch Harley nut.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #22 of 41 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

GW vs LT

you (not youse) guys are awsome, I plan on attending the atlanta show, but I don't know if I can wait that long, I will tho,,,,,,,,,If I let the web-site chose for me the LT wins hands down........again thanks for the imput, I will keep u posted on what I do......Storman
post #23 of 41 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 1:31 am

Thanks

I'm going through the same research process regarding a LT, GW, and Ultra. I currently have a Road King and am looking for something more touring oriented, not that the HD has been anything but reliable, comfortable, relatively problem free and dealer support is a known.
My preference is an Ultra or LT, especially now that another dealer is opening in the PDX area. I also really think ABS is a requirement if I want to justify a change.
Has anything changed in the interface (butt to bars to pegs) since 03 on the LT's? When I got the King my 6'2" frame just fit better in the saddle then the LT or GW and the only local dealer was less than interested in discussing options, or warm up to offer a test ride.
This forum is great!
Sam
post #24 of 41 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 4:01 pm

Fit is a very personal thing, obviously.

I had wanted an LT for a long time before I actually bought. I test rode the LT several times over the course of a year or two trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. Truth is I never felt completely comfortable in the saddle. My long inseam made me feel like my knees were pointing upward, the handlebars felt like they were in my lap and oh, the weight.

Then I sat on a friend's LT with a Corbin seat (not the low version) which shifted my entire position on the bike. I bought one shortly after.

This website is a very good source of information about fit modifications.

Good luck on your decision.

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #25 of 41 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:02 am

LT vs. GW?

You're dealing with the question of the decade. They're both great bikes but very, very different bikes. In the last ten years, we've owned three Harleys, an '02 LT, an '06 GW and we went back to an '06 LT. But it depends on your size, how you ride and what you're looking to accomplish on a motorcycle. For us (and I say "us" because my wife strongly prefers the passenger ride on the LT) it was easy. I'd rather pilot a sports car than a station wagon. Good luck.
post #26 of 41 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 3:46 am

My 2cents...

Had a 1500GL for 12 months, got rid of it.
First thing to say is that the 1500 flat six is fantastic (so I'm sure is the 1800). Neither Honda has an electrically adjustable screen and it was a problem with this that caused me to get rid of the bike.

Basically, up to 50mph was great, above this the wind buffeting made my teeth rattle, bought both a larger and small screen to fix the problem - the smaller (Eurpoean) was hopeless, the larger improved the situation but when it rained (and especially at night) I could not see through it safely. Oh, did I mention that superb engine!

The 1500 is of course approaching 15 years old as a design, the LT is much newer (more comparable to the 1800). If you are short in the leg then the Honda is likely to be a better 'fit' as the seat is so low.

People who have spoken to me about both always say the BMW is 'class'. Did I mention the Honda engine!

I'm sure both would be good, forget the 1500 though as a comparison.

jeremy
post #27 of 41 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 8:08 am

You've gotten some great and balanced advice to your question. I AM a Goldwing owner, having purchased an '03 new a few years back.

Goldwing owners will brag about the reliability of the Goldwing, and the huge amount of dealers, so if you have problems anywhere, you will be near a dealer. Many, if not most, Goldwing owners will defend their purchase decision with a ferocity almost verging on religious fervor.

I've been riding motorcycles since I purchased my first HD back in 1964. Only TWO motorcycles in all that time have ever left me walking (I maintain them well, and carry tire repair kits). Those two bikes were my first HD, which left me walking three times (I got rid of it before there was a fourth), and my '03 Goldwing.

My Goldwing had to have it's frame rewelded, cruise control repaired, brakes repaired, and saddlebag latch repaired. Although all this was covered by the warranty, each event was a hassle. Three weeks after the three year warranty expired, the alternator quit, leaving me stranded miles away from home. I replace batteries every two years (see above about well maintained), but for no reason that the dealer could give me the alternator needed to be replaced. About a thousand dollars shot! Don't even get me started about the front end wobble it has! The only reason that I keep it is that I have SO much time and money in it making it fit me, which I'd need to do all over again, with any bike. It does make a decent two up mile muncher.

The bigger issue to me is the dealer network. Most Honda dealers have become "businessmen selling motorcycles", rather than "motorcycle enthusiasts selling motorcycles". My early experiences with the metric motorcycles were from a couple of motorcycle enthusiasts that had gotten into selling motorcycles. The whole atmosphere is different, although the end game result is supposed to be the same. They have to make money to exist.

Although it is easy for the critics to say that BMW's cost more than the metrics, which is obvious, as long as I can afford it, my future bikes are likely to be BMW. They're no more perfect that any other man made device, but I sure get a lot of pleasure from them.

Ride them both, for a few hours, then you'll know. A short ride on either will likely leave you still wondering.

In my opinion, the LT rides better (the front suspension in particular on the 'wing is a bit harsh), and the wind control is FAR better. I spent LOTS of money and time to get the helmet buffeting on my 'wing "almost" under control. The LT gives me NO helmet buffeting. The Goldwing is HOT to ride in the summer, not because it puts out heat to the rider (it doesn't), but because you get no air behind the fairing. With the LT, you can lower the windscreen to get a welcome breeze.

Good luck with the decision.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #28 of 41 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 8:41 am Thread Starter

GW vs LT

Thanks Ruben for such a through analysis, it will weigh heavily on my mind @ deceision time.........Storman
post #29 of 41 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 5:59 pm

One more thing, when you test ride them. The LT is no torque monster it loves to rev so ride it that way to really see what the motor is all about. I rode my friend home from the Honda dealer last week (06 GW with engine knock, bad cruise control) and when we got on the freeway and I shifted into second at 55 he was amazed. He has an Ultra and the GW and was very impressed at the LT's smooth motor and the way it revs and builds power. He said that the LT is much more comfortable 2 up on the freeway. I know of a dealer out here in Ca that has two new 05's sitting on the showroom floor and they want $2K off the MSRP for them which I think MSRP for the 05 was about $19,899. I am sure you could get it lower. Good Luck.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #30 of 41 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 6:11 pm

Neither

If I had it to do over my first choice would be the Ultra Classic then the Wing followed by the LT.
post #31 of 41 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_rdr55
If I had it to do over my first choice would be the Ultra Classic then the Wing followed by the LT.
Why can't you do it over? Most of us here are riding because we found what we want, and I imagine most of us would change if something else suited us better. You may take a little hit in the wallet, but I don't see riding something you don't like, when it is so easy to just change, as being all that wise. This is a descretionary "hobby" anyway, not a cast in stone "gotta be". Ulcers are not worth nearly what it would cost you to just get rid of the LT and get an Ultra, or Wing. Ride what you WANT to ride, and be happy. Your future health will gain.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #32 of 41 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:28 am

Thanks Dave, I couldn't have said it better. I had to replace two clutches last year on my own dime. It's just a machine. I'll by another one, one of these days. Some where after 100,000 that this bike will turn over in the next couple of days.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #33 of 41 Old Jan 10th, 2007, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Why can't you do it over? Most of us here are riding because we found what we want, and I imagine most of us would change if something else suited us better. You may take a little hit in the wallet, but I don't see riding something you don't like, when it is so easy to just change, as being all that wise. This is a descretionary "hobby" anyway, not a cast in stone "gotta be". Ulcers are not worth nearly what it would cost you to just get rid of the LT and get an Ultra, or Wing. Ride what you WANT to ride, and be happy. Your future health will gain.
This should be the STANDARD ANSWER to all the "XXX vs XXX" threads. Thanks David.

regards
post #34 of 41 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:25 pm

Talking This is a descretionary "hobby" anyway???

Just a "hobby"? Maybe for you it's just a hobby, and that's fine. For me it's a way of life. Since I was five my life has been centered around my next motorcycle race, my daily ride to work, next Sunday's ride, my next motorcycle vacation and when (not if) this thing let's me down again I will be making a visit to my local H-D dealer. Thanks for your thoughts and for the those that agreed with you, but you and I do not look at motorcycles with the same passion. So I hope you and the other hobbyist will not be too disappointed if I just continue to "Live to Ride - Ride to Live".

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #35 of 41 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 1:42 pm

I had a 1989 GL1500 for nine years. Loved it. Sold it when I couldn't chase out electrical gremlins that the previous owner invited in by using those cursed wiretaps for his trailer and farklights.

I had a 2004 GL1800 for two years. Didn't love it. Handles great, great performance (especially over a tired GL1500), but a step backward in Goldwing evolution. Got a great offer on it and sold it last month.

I'm in the process of buying a used K1200LT. If it doesn't suit my needs, I'll sell it and buy something else.

Life is too short ride something you don't thoroughly enjoy. Life is always ripe with opportunities for "do-overs".

And the only thing that's keeping me from having both a K1200LT and an R100RT is room in the garage (although if I got that old piano out of there, it would be less of an issue).

Oh, and I'd love a Road King, too. But when I get that itch, I go rent one from the Harley dealer. A couple hundred bux for a weekend of potato-potato-potato is easier on the wallet than buying, licensing, insuring, and maintaining the beast for the occasional pleasure ride.
post #36 of 41 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 2:23 pm

Quote:
-------------Thanks for your thoughts and for the those that agreed with you, but you and I do not look at motorcycles with the same passion. So I hope you and the other hobbyist will not be too disappointed if I just continue to "Live to Ride - Ride to Live".
Wanna bet? I rode my LT everywhere, all the time, and absolutely LOVED it. I don't think there are many people who were more passionate about their bike. 120,000 miles in 4 years would seem pretty serious and passionate in just about any circle.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #37 of 41 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 3:25 pm

wow

Quote:
Just a "hobby"? Maybe for you it's just a hobby, and that's fine. For me it's a way of life. Since I was five my life has been centered around my next motorcycle race, my daily ride to work, next Sunday's ride, my next motorcycle vacation and when (not if) this thing let's me down again I will be making a visit to my local H-D dealer. Thanks for your thoughts and for the those that agreed with you, but you and I do not look at motorcycles with the same passion. So I hope you and the other hobbyist will not be too disappointed if I just continue to "Live to Ride - Ride to Live".
To continue the hijacking of this thread...

So what is a hobby. Let see... Hobbyism..."the fundamental right to pursue selfish aims"...oops sorry that is Hobbism.

Hey, unless one is riding as a part of their occupation (ie racing for a living, or a necessary commuting vehicle to work) then the riding is for fun and/or enjoyment, and thus, by definition, is a hobby, regardless of "passion".

So I guess it is true. Most of us are are really nothing more than lowly, trifling, hobbyists.
post #38 of 41 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 4:24 am

Interesting...
My life demands that I choose one vehicle when I go home and back (between Madison and Milwaukee, basically). Sunday night: drive or ride? What will the weather be like next week? Doesn't matter; weathermen are never right. Cold enough for ice? Anyway, I almost always choose to ride. It's more fun, cheaper, relaxing, and I start fiending for a ride by mid-week if I take my car. That means I'm stuck with it all week, rain or shine, windy or calm, freezing or scorching. I'm passionate about riding, which is so serious I've considered selling my car, if it weren't for snow in winter. I'll talk to my psychologist about it later.

It's beyond a hobby for me. I don't "fire her up" on warm, nice days for a stroll around town. My grandpa does that with his Softtail. I'm sure some of you do that too, but I bet most here are hardcore "ride to work in your loafers, 3-piece suit, and helmet regardless of weather." If I wanted to wait for nice weather every ride, I would've gotten a crotch rocket.

That being said, that is exactly why I bought the LT. It handles in all weather, any day, morning or evening. The wind and element protection is great. My BMW Club Jacket barely gets wet. People say, "You're nuts. Why didn't you bring your car?" Not an option my friend. I bought this to all but replace my car... and I've found it's the perfect bike on so many levels. Even if I had my car in town, would I drive it to work rather than ride in 40 degree weather? Probably not.

I'm not suggesting a GW or Ultra Classic can't handle the elements like the LT... for some reason, when I'm on the expressway at night in the rain, I just don't happen to see any...

So my friends with their R1s, Gixxers, and Ninjas can all watch me ride by 12 months a year, rain, clouds, sunshine, whatever. My friend with a Road King can clean his every week with a toothbrush. My buddy with an Ultra can take his to work, but only when it's guaranteed to be nice out. Nice lookin' bikes. I'm sure they get as many compliments as mine, and I don't even need a toothbrush.

And, just like their bikes, my car will be in the garage...
post #39 of 41 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
I

I'm in the process of buying a used K1200LT. If it doesn't suit my needs, I'll sell it and buy something else.
Might as well get you a Beemer Tee-shirt because after you ride the LT for a few 1000 miles, you will keep it. I also had an Ultra and have been around M/C clubs all my grown life. The LT is just plain FUN!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #40 of 41 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Might as well get you a Beemer Tee-shirt because after you ride the LT for a few 1000 miles, you will keep it. I also had an Ultra and have been around M/C clubs all my grown life. The LT is just plain FUN!
I have a Beemer T-shirt. It's the one from Blue Moon Cycle with the cascade of roundels on the front and the Blue Moon logo on the back. It goes better with my 1977 R75, as the Blue Moon tagline is "Don't ignore it. Restore it."
(It's the one on the right in the third row... http://www.bluemooncycle.com/parts_a...ts_tshirts.htm )

I also have a couple of Harley shirts.

Funny thing... I've owned Hondas for 25+ years and I've never had a Honda shirt, except for the Turn One shirt with Mike Hailwood on a Honda. I was on the lookout for the one that says "No Wing...No Prayer", but I never found it at a reasonable price.
post #41 of 41 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
I have a Beemer T-shirt. It's the one from Blue Moon Cycle with the cascade of roundels on the front and the Blue Moon logo on the back. It goes better with my 1977 R75, as the Blue Moon tagline is "Don't ignore it. Restore it."
(It's the one on the right in the third row... http://www.bluemooncycle.com/parts_a...ts_tshirts.htm )

I also have a couple of Harley shirts.

Funny thing... I've owned Hondas for 25+ years and I've never had a Honda shirt, except for the Turn One shirt with Mike Hailwood on a Honda. I was on the lookout for the one that says "No Wing...No Prayer", but I never found it at a reasonable price.
I like that shirt. It's cool. The funny thing about shirts is that Harley makes a cool shirt and that's about it. I got rid of my Ultra in 2000 and still get Harley shirts as gifts from other family members.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in