• 1 Post By mondrage
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Scimitar
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By ebiss9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old Jul 25th, 2018, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Buying an 08 in a few weeks

Quick question, I've been reading a lot of reviews of the LT. Some people say is is heavy and hard to manage at slow speeds.
It seems odd because it's not heavier than an HD ultra and they are OK at slow speed.
How does it handle 2 up?

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old Jul 25th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Re: Buying an 08 in a few weeks

The Harley engine configuration gives it a lower center of gravity so while the LR may not be heavier, it can be more unwieldy.
post #3 of 46 Old Jul 25th, 2018, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

I see a lot of people saying it is at low speed and many say it is due to using the front brake.

I never use the front brake under 15 MPH. I keep RPMs up and trail brake during tight turns. This seems to work great for all heavy bikes.
ppger likes this.

post #4 of 46 Old Jul 25th, 2018, 9:41 pm

The biggest cause of people dropping an LT is moving slow and stopping with the bars turned especially with the servo assist brakes. If you can flat foot at a stop and don't stop while turning, you will likely be OK on an LT but they do have a higher CG than the HD so once it goes past a certain point, unless you are superman, just get out of the way and let it go then worry about getting it righted again with help if necessary.

I would get used to it a little bit before heading out 2UP and hope your pillion is able to properly follow your and the bikes lean ESPECIALLY when stopped or slow. Besides that, the LT is arguably one of the best 2UP bikes ever made. They handle extremely well and are very comfortable and if you plan on really long rides, a RDL may be a good upgrade.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Ė Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Ė Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 46 Old Jul 26th, 2018, 9:54 am

Cool Re: Buying an 08 in a few weeks

I went from an FLHTC to an 05 LT and was amazed at the difference. Like a big sportbike on the freeway and so comfy for the passenger.
slow speed and limited turning radius is just a learning curve kinda thing. A most spectacular MC in my estimation of having owned over 14 HD's and 3 Goldwings in comparison. Only high wind on the fwy was my only handling complaint and I think that came from the rear box being positioned so high in the rear. Try it you'll like it!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #6 of 46 Old Jul 26th, 2018, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog View Post
Like a big sportbike on the freeway and so comfy for the passenger.
slow speed and limited turning radius is just a learning curve kinda thing.
+1 - big time.

In 14 years and 76K miles of ownership I've not once come even close to droping my LT and I routinely crawl up to lights waiting for the green. Anyone who struggles with it are in over their heads plain and simple IMO. No difference with a well behaved passenger.
Voyager likes this.

Last edited by GE90115B; Jul 26th, 2018 at 4:41 pm.
post #7 of 46 Old Jul 26th, 2018, 4:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-Paul View Post
I see a lot of people saying it is at low speed and many say it is due to using the front brake.

I never use the front brake under 15 MPH. I keep RPMs up and trail brake during tight turns. This seems to work great for all heavy bikes.
On the LT you can not NOT use the front brake. They are linked and if you hit the rear pedal hard you will invoke both front and rear brakes.

The solution is not to STOP with the front wheel in any position other than straight forward. You will get the hang quickly. She is a bit hard to handle if you try to paddle foot at a stop best to STOP first and then immediately plant your feet.

Also you cannot run in the "friction zone" with this dry, single plate clutch as you will eat it up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 46 Old Jul 26th, 2018, 5:41 pm

I have a 2000 K1200LT. It is very strong, lots of speed, but unbelievably heavy. 835 lbs wet... 2 up over 1235 lbs.
I'm selling mine because of the weight, the obscene parts prices ($270+ for a rear wheel bearing, taper bearing, seal, and O-ring), and ridiculous shop charges, and difficulty of getting parts.
2000 yr model was not their best work.
Same parts for a Honda are $80 total.
post #9 of 46 Old Jul 27th, 2018, 7:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhumbleservant View Post
I'm selling mine because of the weight, the obscene parts prices ($270+ for a rear wheel bearing, taper bearing, seal, and O-ring), and ridiculous shop charges, and difficulty of getting parts.
Since the same vintage Goldwing is actually heavier what I'm hearing is you're selling because of personal affordability issues... something that should have been considered before buying it.

No fault of the bike....
post #10 of 46 Old Jul 27th, 2018, 7:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE90115B View Post
Since the same vintage Goldwing is actually heavier what I'm hearing is you're selling because of personal affordability issues... something that should have been considered before buying it.

No fault of the bike....
It is partly the fault of the bike. My LT, bought new, has been far, far more troublesome and costly to maintain than my former Kawasaki Voyager XII. At least 4X more expensive. BMW had several design deficiencies on the LT that they never fixed. These are completely the fault of the bike and BMW who designed and built it.

I still like my LT and have found nothing yet that matches its fitness for the purpose for which I use it, but that doesnít negate that fact that it has many design flaws and requires a level of maintenance above almost any other bike on the road. And it has several expensive systems, ABS in particular, that are complex beyond all reason.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2018, 8:34 am

The LT shares the same 6k mile maintenance interval and schedule as other BMW models which I don't hear anyone (else) complaining about.

You say its worse than your Yamaha... I say its better than my Ducati's.

Design deficiencies?... then explain how the vast majority go the distance. Quality issues play a role for sure but all OEMs deal with that.

Complex to some perhaps, not to others. I understand how someone who has a servo unit fail would be upset, but that does not overide the satisfaction the vast majority have of a very effective braking system that stops the bike using two fingers.

All forums are outlets for the disgruntled... what I detest is how a curious potential owner may be disuaded from a great motorcycle experience by the sometimes less than factual ramblings of the disgruntled.

Last edited by GE90115B; Jul 28th, 2018 at 8:42 am.
post #12 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2018, 10:42 am

I bought a 2000 LT a little while ago, after being off a big tourer for 15years.
It took me a little riding time to again get used to the very low speed handling.
But, the handling at anything over 5mph is amazing! (which was my desire)
As others have reinforced, stopping with the bars straight ahead, always, is the primary prerequisite to keeping control.
At 67, I've only dropped mine once, in the garage, & that was just putting it up on the center stand! From that, I found out that it is pretty easy to right back up again. Then, the only damages were a scrape on the top trunk & my pride.
This bike, with it's reverse & abs, is the best two-up sport tourer there is, without question, even at 10yrs out of production.
nikosK1200LT likes this.

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
post #13 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2018, 1:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The LT shares the same 6k mile maintenance interval and schedule as other BMW models which I don't hear anyone (else) complaining about.

You say its worse than your Yamaha... I say its better than my Ducati's.

Design deficiencies?... then explain how the vast majority go the distance. Quality issues play a role for sure but all OEMs deal with that.

Complex to some perhaps, not to others. I understand how someone who has a servo unit fail would be upset, but that does not overide the satisfaction the vast majority have of a very effective braking system that stops the bike using two fingers.

All forums are outlets for the disgruntled... what I detest is how a curious potential owner may be disuaded from a great motorcycle experience by the sometimes less than factual ramblings of the disgruntled.
Who mentioned Yamaha? Or was this just a less than factual rambling...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2018, 2:32 pm

No...just a transcription error. Hardly voids my point and pointing it out hardly defends yours.
mr1150gs likes this.
post #15 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2018, 3:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
No...just a transcription error. Hardly voids my point and pointing it out hardly defends yours.
You are clearly new here. Just what is your experience owning, maintaining and repairing LTs?

My information is completely factual. After 32 years of engineering, I am quite familiar with facts vs. fantasy. And after 11 years, 72,000 miles and major repairs such as clutch replacement and transmission seal replacement, I am just a little bit familiar with the later model LTs as well.

It is quite well documented by many here who have owned a range of motorcycles that the LT is more maintenance intensive than most bikes on the road today. It has complex systems and many, such as the slave cylinder, that were almost designed to cause issues. People drill weep holes in the slave cylinder housing for a reason. There are many other design and component issues from plastic fuel disconnects to poor trunk latch
design. These are well documented on this forum and many enterprising people here have developed clever solutions.

You may want to do some research before casting aspersions.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2018, 4:54 pm

"Clearly new"?... been a forum member since 2004. Maybe not so "clear".

"Experience"?... see post 6 of this string, seems I have you beat. You "liked" it.

Seems borish to provide my resume but since you seem to require it during the 14 yrs of LT ownership I've maintained it by the book (6k intervals). Outside of that I've replaced the final drive ball bearing with the updated version and proactively replaced the rear seal o-ring (wasn't leaking), replaced throttle cables, installed Ohlins and Remus exhaust. Dosen't seem like alot for a bike with so many "design deficiencies" does it?

I've owned/maintained/repaired BMWs since 1988 starting with a K100RS and including a R1100, several R1150 versions and a K1200GT. Additional makes - Ducati, Yamaha, Honda, Buell, Suzuki... repaired many others for friends, etc.

Getting back to what you keep calling "design defciencies". You mention the slave cylinder. My bike still has the original, has the original trunk latch handle as well. Do you think BMW has sold nearly as many of these replacement parts as LTs they have produced?... seems they would have had to since they were doomed from the start. Most likely lousy maintenance (flushes) and misuse have played a role. I'm not discounting quality issues, they are real... but different from design.

Seems your 32 years would have served you better. I think the real problem is you (and many others on this and other forums) with post counts in the thousands practically live your lives through these forums, seeing only the problems mentioned, regurgitating the same words in response over and over and loosing sight of the big picture.

40 years of wrenching and 18 plus years of forum use has provided all the research I need.
post #17 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
"Clearly new"?... been a forum member since 2004. Maybe not so "clear".

"Experience"?... see post 6 of this string, seems I have you beat. You "liked" it.

Seems borish to provide my resume but since you seem to require it during the 14 yrs of LT ownership I've maintained it by the book (6k intervals). Outside of that I've replaced the final drive ball bearing with the updated version and proactively replaced the rear seal o-ring (wasn't leaking), replaced throttle cables, installed Ohlins and Remus exhaust. Dosen't seem like alot for a bike with so many "design deficiencies" does it?

I've owned/maintained/repaired BMWs since 1988 starting with a K100RS and including a R1100, several R1150 versions and a K1200GT. Additional makes - Ducati, Yamaha, Honda, Buell, Suzuki... repaired many others for friends, etc.

Getting back to what you keep calling "design defciencies". You mention the slave cylinder. My bike still has the original, has the original trunk latch handle as well. Do you think BMW has sold nearly as many of these replacement parts as LTs they have produced?... seems they would have had to since they were doomed from the start. Most likely lousy maintenance (flushes) and misuse have played a role. I'm not discounting quality issues, they are real... but different from design.

Seems your 32 years would have served you better. I think the real problem is you (and many others on this and other forums) with post counts in the thousands practically live your lives through these forums, seeing only the problems mentioned, regurgitating the same words in response over and over and loosing sight of the big picture.

40 years of wrenching and 18 plus years of forum use has provided all the research I need.
28 posts in 14 years. Interesting...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2018, 6:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
28 posts in 14 years. Interesting...
But per the sign-up line under the avatar, it says he joined Sept 2016.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #19 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2018, 7:25 am

Re-registered in 2016 after the password fiasco - not wasting anymore keystrokes on the matter.

Back to the original poster's inquiry and to anyone doing pre-purchase research. Forums are great tools for learning about and sharing info concerning a bike one is interested in. Just need keep it all in perspective and know that opinions vary and what sometimes are presented as facts aren't facts.
cws likes this.
post #20 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2018, 8:07 am

I'm new to BMW motorcycle ownership and already noticing an unpleasant trend in the forums...
post #21 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2018, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIfTHEAD View Post
I'm new to BMW motorcycle ownership and already noticing an unpleasant trend in the forums...
It's just people. It takes all sorts to make a forum and is merely a reflection of society. This forum is a friendly and helpful place as a rule, especially when you compare it with some others!
mr1150gs and mondrage like this.
post #22 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2018, 9:16 am

Quote:

Don't let a small difference of opinion set you back. They usually end peaceably. Because of the fine people on this forum and the videos put out by Kirk I have been able to do many things to my new to me 06 LT. I have changed shocks. Done a coolant flush, air filter change. All fluids change. I have done other things as well and any time I have gotten stuck I have always found the answer here or close by. It's a good bike. It's not for everyone. To the OP- I do believe you will enjoy the ride. Keep us updated. By the way I did a lot to my bike to set a ground zero for myself not because it was in great need.
Voyager likes this.
post #23 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2018, 10:17 am

Garage

I'll throw in my .02. The LT for me is no worse at low speeds than any other big tour bike I have owned, and that includes the Gold Wing and Harley FLH. It is the best of the bunch overall in my opinion and a smoking deal for sure. I purchased my 04 with 6500 miles and have $5 K all up invested including all the maintenance I have done. Can't beat that with a stick! Haven't done two up, but the overall handling of the LT is outstanding, so I doubt 2-up will change anything.

George

2004 K1200LT - Gray Ghost
post #24 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2018, 10:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
It's just people. It takes all sorts to make a forum and is merely a reflection of society. This forum is a friendly and helpful place as a rule, especially when you compare it with some others!
Absolutely. I have participated in probably 20 “forums” (I count newsgroups in the old days as “forums”) over the past 30 years or so and this is one of the two best I have experienced. The other one is the AVA forum. Folks like GE90115B are the rare exception here rather than the rule.

Most here are honest about the LT, both its great attributes and its maddening flaws. And, best of all, many here have taken it on themselves to come up with solutions to the flaws. I have avoided many of the issues by taking pre-emptive measures based on what others have posted here. I did the fuel disconnects at my first maintenance interval. I did the FIBIB before my latch broke. It was still going strong after 9 years, but you never know when metal fatigue will raise its ugly head. I got my FD completely rebuilt when the pinion seal failed so that I would not have a later large bearing failure. I replaced my clutch myself when the transmission seals all began to leak and contaminated it with gear oil. I also did many other things at the same time such as clean the throttle bodies, replace the rubber air intake boots, drill the weep hole in the slave housing, etc. And when my LT died in my driveway one day, I literally diagnosed the problem before dismounting due to what I had learned here. I opened my fuel cap and turned on the key. Based on what I had read here, I saw the swirling and knew I’d lost an internal fuel hose. And, based on what I learned here, I knew I could remove the fuel pump assembly without removing the fuel tank. So, I got a new u-hose and had the bike back together in a little over an hour. The hardest part was siphoning out the nearly full tank of gas!

I have found this forum to be very factual in nature. Sure, someone makes a misstatement now and then, but by and large you can take what is posted here to the bank.
HOGnDAS likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:32 am.
post #25 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
It is the best of the bunch overall in my opinion and a smoking deal for sure. I purchased my 04 with 6500 miles and have $5 K all up invested including all the maintenance I have done. Can't beat that with a stick!
Agreed... the LT is one of the biggest bangs for the buck on the market today IMO. Recently a buddy had his up for sale, beautiful bike with a fawless maintenance history, took a deposit on it. Two days later the buyer called and said he changed his mind after reading about final drive failures, walked away from his deposit. I just shook my head. Turns out it was a good turn for my buddy. He looked at what little he was getting for it, what he'd have to spend to replace it and he has a new appreciation for it. New shocks are now on order and I know he'll love it all the more.
post #26 of 46 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 7:01 pm

GE90115B...what you're 'hearing is that my affordability issues should have kept me from buying' my 2000 model K1200LT. Um, nooo...what you heard was that I have more sense than some people who have more dollars than sense. A thousand bucks for a shock absorber? Used? When I can get one for a better performing Japanese bike for one tenth the cost? That rides better, costs less, and is more reliable by an order of magnitude? Really? My math and yours must be different.

Guess I should sell my R1150RT, 96 Honda Magna 750, 01 Suzuki GSX R1000 then...since I can't 'afford' them. I should probably have considered how much better every one one of them is than this hulking mass of over-engineered steel instead.

Well anyway...what you didn't hear was after I had riden over 14 thousand miles of wrestling this beast through every Texas season, this high center of gravity nightmare, this thing that handles like a unicycle. But surely it will be better when-fully-loaded-gear-and 2 up on a 1700 mile tour, right?

I mean, its a TOURING bike for godsake...so I took it on a 10-14 day tour, in rain, sleet, cold, 105 degree heat, up and down mountains, on gravel roads, and traffic and full speed, and found out that...this bike is a bitch to ride at slow speeds, a bitch to ride in traffic, a bitch to sit on for more than 3 hours, and is as comfortable as an Iron Maiden, and even my co-pilot didn't want to be on it for more than 3 hours a day. We cut our trip short because neither of us wanted to ride it anymore. BMW should be ashamed to sell that with the piece of feces that passes for a factory seat. One hour and the tormenter shows up. I'll take ANY Honda Goldwing over this poor handling dog.

It should have been named K1200Light Tank but for that fact that a tank handles far better at any speed it can go.

I was, in my original post, complimentary of some of it's features, because I like to be positive, and balanced. It is after all fuel injected. But smug omniscience brings out the abrasive, empirical side of me.

But having ridden my R1150RT (even if the parts are high as hell) I will never again even consider any bike with such a high center of gravity - high weight combination. And my Magna makes me laugh every time I see one of these dinosaurs on the road, and then I hit the gas, and leave that 'German engineering' in the dust.

But the good news now is that as soon as it is fixed (a drunk did me a favor and crashed into it while it was parked, giving me more than all my money out of it), I will offer here it for sale to whomever would like to buy it. (If this post doesn't get me kicked off the forum first. We'll see how well honest dissent from the status quo is tolerated, I guess.)

Safe travels to all!
post #27 of 46 Old Feb 21st, 2019, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
GE90115B...what you're 'hearing is that my affordability issues should have kept me from buying' my 2000 model K1200LT. Um, nooo...what you heard was that I have more sense than some people who have more dollars than sense. A thousand bucks for a shock absorber? Used? When I can get one for a better performing Japanese bike for one tenth the cost? That rides better, costs less, and is more reliable by an order of magnitude? Really? My math and yours must be different.

Guess I should sell my R1150RT, 96 Honda Magna 750, 01 Suzuki GSX R1000 then...since I can't 'afford' them. I should probably have considered how much better every one one of them is than this hulking mass of over-engineered steel instead.

Well anyway...what you didn't hear was after I had riden over 14 thousand miles of wrestling this beast through every Texas season, this high center of gravity nightmare, this thing that handles like a unicycle. But surely it will be better when-fully-loaded-gear-and 2 up on a 1700 mile tour, right?

I mean, its a TOURING bike for godsake...so I took it on a 10-14 day tour, in rain, sleet, cold, 105 degree heat, up and down mountains, on gravel roads, and traffic and full speed, and found out that...this bike is a bitch to ride at slow speeds, a bitch to ride in traffic, a bitch to sit on for more than 3 hours, and is as comfortable as an Iron Maiden, and even my co-pilot didn't want to be on it for more than 3 hours a day. We cut our trip short because neither of us wanted to ride it anymore. BMW should be ashamed to sell that with the piece of feces that passes for a factory seat. One hour and the tormenter shows up. I'll take ANY Honda Goldwing over this poor handling dog.

It should have been named K1200Light Tank but for that fact that a tank handles far better at any speed it can go.

I was, in my original post, complimentary of some of it's features, because I like to be positive, and balanced. It is after all fuel injected. But smug omniscience brings out the abrasive, empirical side of me.

But having ridden my R1150RT (even if the parts are high as hell) I will never again even consider any bike with such a high center of gravity - high weight combination. And my Magna makes me laugh every time I see one of these dinosaurs on the road, and then I hit the gas, and leave that 'German engineering' in the dust.

But the good news now is that as soon as it is fixed (a drunk did me a favor and crashed into it while it was parked, giving me more than all my money out of it), I will offer here it for sale to whomever would like to buy it. (If this post doesn't get me kicked off the forum first. We'll see how well honest dissent from the status quo is tolerated, I guess.)

Safe travels to all!
Well, I donít think anyone will get kicked off this forum for being mentally ill and a poor rider unable to handle an LT.
DanDiver and Scimitar like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 46 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 10:44 am

Garage

Quote:
Well, I donít think anyone will get kicked off this forum for being mentally ill and a poor rider unable to handle an LT.
Ouch! Rough crowd!

George

2004 K1200LT - Gray Ghost
post #29 of 46 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 2:28 pm

All I can say is that he must be riding a very different LT to the 2005 I have and the 2000 I used to have. I have ridden all sorts, but keep coming back to the smooth stability and comfort of the 1200LT. Even the 1100LT failed to impress me so that sits in my garage unridden, in favour of the near perfection of the 1200LT. I would replace it with another in a heartbeat, were this one to be a total loss for any reason.
Voyager likes this.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #30 of 46 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 2:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Ouch! Rough crowd!
Just the facts, mam, as they used to say.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #31 of 46 Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 3:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
All I can say is that he must be riding a very different LT to the 2005 I have and the 2000 I used to have. I have ridden all sorts, but keep coming back to the smooth stability and comfort of the 1200LT. Even the 1100LT failed to impress me so that sits in my garage unridden, in favour of the near perfection of the 1200LT. I would replace it with another in a heartbeat, were this one to be a total loss for any reason.
I have ridden a wide range of bikes from a Chibi (bet most of you have never heard of that) to LT and lots in between. The LT is as easy to ride as any bike I have ridden. Sure, it is heavy which means you need some leg strength to hold it up when stopped, but once moving it rides and handles as well as anything. Anyone who canít handle an LT once it is moving, is seriously deficient in riding skill. At a stop, sure the weight is an issue if you donít have decent balance and leg strength.
Scimitar likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #32 of 46 Old Feb 24th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I had the opportunity to ride recently a K16GTL.
While it was so powerful that it was incredible, there was something missing.
It felt (because of the torque) too light.

The LT is so massive that you feel that impressive feat of engineering of moving this thing. Once itís moving, itís awesome. The engine superb.
All the plastics are twice the gauge.
Just feels solid.

After that ride I came home to like it even more.
Specially after my recent GemŪ chip install.

Love this thing. I donít think ill ever part with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #33 of 46 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 11:51 am

Garage

I liked the part where he said "BMW should be ashamed to sell that with the piece of feces that passes for a factory seat. One hour and the tormenter shows up." Last summer I bought my first K12LT sight unseen in Denver, flew there, took all back roads and rode it 1500 miles home in three days. Stock seat was perfectly comfortable for 12 hours a day, three days in a row.

I find it strange that there are guys who think that all saddles should magically fit all riders no matter their height, weight, or build. But there are a lot of guys who think this!
DanDiver, mondrage and Scimitar like this.

2007 K1200LT "BUTKA"
post #34 of 46 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 5:47 pm

The seat on the ’02 was perfect for me but the cut out sides of the ’05 made it like sitting on a pipe. Corbin was the fix for me, loved the one I put on my first K.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #35 of 46 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Everybody's tastes are different and so are our asses.
I am 72 and have had my 2000 LT for 4 years. I bought it off eBay based upon a lot of what I read here. I belong to the IBA and have done multiple SS1000's (1000 miles in less than 24 hours) ans an CC50 last Spring (coast to coast in less than 50 hours). The previous 5 years I toured on a Haybusa and prior to that a 2002 Goldwing.
With that all in mind let me say this.
The bike can be expensive to maintane but this forum helps with that. Before the coast to coast last year a well known member of this forum rebuilt my final drive. It was a preemptive strike.
It handles great for me and I prefer it without the trunk.
Weather protection is great. On the coast to coast last Spring I pulled into Keno Oklahoma at midnight and it was 32 degrees.
I ride the stock seat and 18 hours is no problem.

We all need to make our own decisions and form our own opinions.
No need to belittle those who disagree.
Cant wait for the snow to get off the passes here in Southern Oregon.
Oh, BTW.
I put a full Remus system on it this past summer and I love it.
mr1150gs, Voyager, kbob12 and 1 others like this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #36 of 46 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 7:27 am

Quote:
Slightly old thread, but new to me..... Just saying that if it were not for this forum, I would not have kept my 2002 LT for about 8 years nor would I have received anyway near the amount of service and enjoyment from her. Most of the people you will hear from and read about would probably also make excellent neighbors. I still like to follow what is going on here and relive fond memories...

Creating new ones here...K1600GTL forum...
Voyager likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #37 of 46 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I had the opportunity to ride recently a K16GTL.
While it was so powerful that it was incredible, there was something missing.
It felt (because of the torque) too light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It really took me about 1,000 miles to feel comfortable on my GTL, because she was so different from the LT. Several generations of technology made the transition for me a challenge. Everything is electronic and some of the feel of the LT was missing. For one-up, she is amazing and after about 40,000 miles my 2012 still seems to ride better that the first day. I'm still getting better too...
Voyager and mondrage like this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #38 of 46 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 10:15 am

Took my LT on my commute today.
I'm telling that Gemi chip turned this into a better bike.
So, smoooooth!

I'm falling in love with my LT all over again, what a bike.
Enough to start taking it on my daily commute again.
After all, she's just a baby 2007, at 25K miles.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000

post #39 of 46 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
It really took me about 1,000 miles to feel comfortable on my GTL, because she was so different from the LT. Several generations of technology made the transition for me a challenge. Everything is electronic and some of the feel of the LT was missing. For one-up, she is amazing and after about 40,000 miles my 2012 still seems to ride better that the first day. I'm still getting better too...
To me, I think the difference rests mostly in the nature of the engine and the clutch.
The K16s are basically K12R/S/GT with two more cylinders.
Same clunkly clutch. Generaly overall layout of the bike... so, it's a rocket.
The LT is a proper Tourer.

Anyways, my two cents on the matter.
Scimitar likes this.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000

post #40 of 46 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 10:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I liked the part where he said "BMW should be ashamed to sell that with the piece of feces that passes for a factory seat. One hour and the tormenter shows up." Last summer I bought my first K12LT sight unseen in Denver, flew there, took all back roads and rode it 1500 miles home in three days. Stock seat was perfectly comfortable for 12 hours a day, three days in a row.

I find it strange that there are guys who think that all saddles should magically fit all riders no matter their height, weight, or build. But there are a lot of guys who think this!
The LT has by far one of the most comfortable (to my behind) stock seats on any bike.
The GS stock seat is the saddle from hell, made to torture you after one hour. Thew GSs are more comfortable.

I did 12 hours on my LT, from the border with PanamŠ back to Managua, Nicaragua.
Made it home, and then decided to ride another hour to have dinner, and then come back.
The only gripe, it's from the nature of the bike, that my knees are bent most of the time, even with the seat in the higher setting. But there's no other way, otherwise tiptoeing this thing it's not possible for me (5'10").
Not a deal breaker. I cannot stay in the bike long enough to feel uncomfortable without having to take a bladder break.

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000

post #41 of 46 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Hello all,

As promised, my 2000 BMW K1200LT, with 65,000 miles is up for sale - to everyone but Voyager. His ad hominem - which he resorted to after getting spanked for his humble omniscience about my ability to afford this bike - has disqualified him. Not that he'd need or want it anyway.

The Champagne bike has: new front continental tire, new final drive and pilot bearing, new battery, aftermarket windscreen, armrests, and I will include the custom tow hitch if desired. Condition is 7.5 out of 10. Acceleration is great, electronics work except display on radio. It's 19 years old, so have realistic expectations please.

So, if you are looking for an affordable 'starter touring bike', this is an inexpensive one to start on. Please contact me here. I am not looking to 'make money' off the bike. I want to sell it to someone who will actually ride it and enjoy it. My tastes have changed and I prefer my 2001 Suzuki GSX R1000, 1996 Honda Magna 750, and 2002 BMW R1150RT.

I will put it on Craigslist in Dallas in about 2 weeks, FYI. Thanks.
post #42 of 46 Old Apr 11th, 2019, 9:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hello all,

As promised, my 2000 BMW K1200LT, with 65,000 miles is up for sale - to everyone but Voyager. His ad hominem - which he resorted to after getting spanked for his humble omniscience about my ability to afford this bike - has disqualified him. Not that he'd need or want it anyway.

The Champagne bike has: new front continental tire, new final drive and pilot bearing, new battery, aftermarket windscreen, armrests, and I will include the custom tow hitch if desired. Condition is 7.5 out of 10. Acceleration is great, electronics work except display on radio. It's 19 years old, so have realistic expectations please.

So, if you are looking for an affordable 'starter touring bike', this is an inexpensive one to start on. Please contact me here. I am not looking to 'make money' off the bike. I want to sell it to someone who will actually ride it and enjoy it. My tastes have changed and I prefer my 2001 Suzuki GSX R1000, 1996 Honda Magna 750, and 2002 BMW R1150RT.

I will put it on Craigslist in Dallas in about 2 weeks, FYI. Thanks.
So there really are people who donít understand a joke and what emoticons mean. Wow, just wow. I am glad I became such an important part of your life that you felt compelled to mention me in an ad to sell your bike. I am honored.
Scimitar likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #43 of 46 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 2:25 am

Quote:
So there really are people who donít understand a joke and what emoticons mean.
Well join the club! I have upset two people recently... One took offence to a comment which was complimentary and the other one I can't understand what prompted him to throw his dummy out of the 'pram! Result of both though was a stream of abuse on the respective forums.

Sometimes, we just have to smile and move on.
Voyager likes this.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #44 of 46 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 5:28 am

Quote:
Well join the club! I have upset two people recently... One took offence to a comment which was complimentary and the other one I can't understand what prompted him to throw his dummy out of the 'pram! Result of both though was a stream of abuse on the respective forums.

Yes it's funny. I used to administer a forum for Oris watches, it was called Friends of Oris. What I quickly found was that humor is often hard to convey without visual cues. For instance you might say something to someone that you mean as a joke. Face to face the other person will see the smirk on your face or the gleam in your eye that would usually indicate that you are only joking. Without those cues that intent is lost and more often than not you end up offending someone.
post #45 of 46 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 6:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Yes it's funny. I used to administer a forum for Oris watches, it was called Friends of Oris. What I quickly found was that humor is often hard to convey without visual cues. For instance you might say something to someone that you mean as a joke. Face to face the other person will see the smirk on your face or the gleam in your eye that would usually indicate that you are only joking. Without those cues that intent is lost and more often than not you end up offending someone.
Very true. I think part of the issue stems from people who: 1. Are always looking to be offended (they call them snowflakes today) and, 2. Hold onto a grudge forever. I would not even remember the comment that was being referenced here as I simply donít hold grudges or think about things like this. Life is too short to hold grudges and keep looking for an opportunity to get revenge as this person tried to do.

We just lost the very last of Doolittleís Raiders at 103 years of age. I think if what so many sacrificed in those wars and now we have people who are so thin skinned that they canít even take a light hearted joke. I wish we had even half of the toughness today that we had in those eras.

Oh well, time to get back to bleeding brakes, a job I find very offensive!
Scimitar likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #46 of 46 Old Apr 12th, 2019, 7:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:

I will often say to my wife that it seems, now-a-days, there isnít one word in the English Language Dictionary that wonít offend someone, somehow, somewhere in this world. Iím getting so tired of walking on broken glass around some people. I have always been perceptive to peopleís feelings but the older I get the less I care about them taking offence to my intended light hearted or realistic comments. I am often mystified to see people on TV or in the news apologizing for what I believe to be unbiased comment(s). Well you know what, grow the hell up, take the nipple out of your mouth and get on with real life, IMHOÖÖ (Hope I didnít upset anyone with my view)ÖÖ.
Voyager and Scimitar like this.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in