K1200LT or R11xxRT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT or R11xxRT?

Greetings. I am on the verge of buying *another* motorcycle.

I just sold my 2004 GL1800. Long story. Okay, not that long, but a bit sordid.

I was on the verge of buying a BMW before we got the 'Wing. My first "big" bike was a 1972 R60/5, and I have a 1977 R75/7 in the garage now. My primary bike before the GL1800 was a GL1500. I got very spoiled by the luggage capacity on the 1500 (full case of beer in the trunk... no problem!).

I will be mostly using the bike for commuting (about 12 miles each way, 10 of which are on the freeway). Mrs. Juggler and I take a a few of day trips and one or two overnight trips each year.

My priorities are: reliability, low-maintenance, good fuel economy, plenty of luggage capacity, a radio for the traffic reports, comfortable, and relatively peppy to accelerate past cagers trying to merge into my space.

I'm looking at something maybe 5 years old or so.

Would anyone care to share any thoughts about the relative merits of the K1200LT and the R1100RT (or 1150 as appropriate)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:35 pm

RE: r1100rt v k1200lt

I just happened to sell my 00 r1100rt and Im buying a low mileage 99 K1200lt. My decision was based not on the quality of the RT because in many ways it is a better overall bike than the LT. The RT is a very comfortable sport tourer, but a sport tourer none the less. The LT is a pure touring bike, bigger fairing, windshield integrated luggage, sound system and the like. If you were coming off of a crusier or sport bike I'd say stick with the RT, but if you rode a wing you are used to the larger proportions, and weight.

Just to give you a quick comparison according to Motorcyclist magazine's own test numbers the 00 LT makes 83HP/75lbft of tourque and weighs in at 866lbs. The 05 R1200RT(the last bike tested) makes 101HP/78lbft of torque, it wiehgs in at 631lbs. The R1100RT's made about 90-95HP and the R1150RT's made 95+HP both weighed in a bit heavier than the 05 1200RT.

as you can see the RT has a much better power to weight ratio, but it is a sportier ride. The LT will be a lot more like your gold wing with way better suspension and handling. As far as comfort the LT is more comfortable to me and I only feel the weight in limited circumstances. I gues it all depends on your riding style and mine dictated a full dress touring bike, although the RT was fine in that department as well, just not as good.

To me the RT is a great all arounder, that is not as good as the LT on the long trips and not as fast and sporty as the rocket crowd in the twisties. It is an absolutely fantastic bike, but in filling many roles sacrafices are always made. Ive never ridden one, but Im told the 1200RT is like a can of whoop ass compared to the previous generations

All of the above is one mans opinion (except the info from Motorcyclist)

Tom
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:53 pm

Wink

I have had several late model Goldwings myself and and several Airheads in the form of few R/75's & 81 R100 RT..... I looked at both a new 1150RT or LT since it had been sometime since I had owned a new BMW...

I now have an 05 LT and could not be happier...

She's a go-er!! <> *This Dog hunts!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 5:50 pm

From your description of the riding you do and your concerns about maintenance costs, I'd go with the 1150RT. The LT is expensive and difficult to work on. I have an LT right now but had an 04 1150RT and still think it was the best all around motorcycle I have ever had. I've only been riding for 40 years though.
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:22 pm
Super Moderator

For what you're describing I would recommend an R1150RT. Maybe add a Givi V46 topcase for your beverages needs and you should be set.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:33 am

You going to have to take them both for a ride. IMO, I don't think you'll be happy with the RT's motor coming off of a GW. A GW is smooth, as is an LT. Different, but they're both smooth. A Boxer is not smooth.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:57 pm

I was looking to replace my Goldwing a while back, and it came to a tossup between the K1200LT and the R1200RT. There were things that I really liked about both, and I test rode both repeatedly. I finally chose the R1200GSA, and kept the 'wing.

You really need to ride them to see how they fit you. I like the "looks" and feel of the R1150RT, but the R1200RT is a much nicer ride in many respects. For that reason, you can probably get a real deal on an R11xxRT if you shop around a bit. The only thing that I find really annoying about the boxer engine is the frequent valve adjustments, although you can easily do them yourself.

The K1200LT is a sweet ride. You might prefer that for two up, and it is definitely smoother. A test ride or two will likely tell the story.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 2:35 am

Depends on which type of riding you prefer

I currently own a 00' R1100RT and a 00' K1200LT. I've had the RT for 2 years and the LT for 1.

Here in WI, I ride until they salt the roads (thank God for global warming). I ride both bikes equally.

For long trips (daytrips/overnighters) the LT is by far the better bike. It offers excellent wind protection, is quite agile on the freeway, and is very comfortable for the rider and passenger on long hauls. You said you had a missus, right?

The RT is also nice for long trips except it doesn't offer as good wind protection and after 2 hrs. of riding you'll start getting this pain in your upper back from the passenger punching you because their butt's getting sore. However, for day to day commuting it's alot more fun to ride. It really likes curvy roads, and if you drive in traffic, it will quickly deal with anything the "Cagers" throw at you.

Both bikes are very smooth on bumpy roads. They have excellent brakes. Something you will definitely notice if you've been riding a Wing (I owned a 91' Wing for 5 yrs. before I bought the RT). If you're used to the weight of the Wing then the LT shouldn't bother you too much in parking lots. It definitely feels heavier than the RT, especially if you get it a little too far left or right of center while moving slow.

I have the BMW mechanics do the maintenance on both bikes. Costs are about the same.
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:28 am

RT or LT???

Ive been down the same road the past few years.
I started out with a 78 R100RS, then a 2000 K1200LT, then a 2004 R1150RT, and now a 2004 K1200LT.
There is a lot of good advice here.
I found out that my wife rides with me alot more than I had expected, which is why I now have the LT. If I was solo the majority of time I would have my R1150RT back. The nice thing about the 2004 RT was several improvments like 2 spark plugs per cylinder, very nice.
The weight is a huge difference between the LT & RT, and 4 cylinder LT engine is a different cat as well.
Just have fun trying out both.
ITS ONLY MONEY!!!!
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:13 pm

I put my money on the RT. I used to comute into NYC (100 miles roundtrip) 2 or 3 days a week, year round, except when ice or snow on ground. Never a probelm, also took a trip to Maine and back in a drving rainstrom. No problem. Not as comfortable as the LT but some much easier to handle in tight driving. Was thinking about the LT route myself but given amount of daily use I am going with a used 1200RT.
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 5:59 pm

Lt !

Lt ! Lt ! Lt ! Lt !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:25 am

Wink RTvs LT..which to buy?

Let me just put it like this....Having owned an LT for two years I can say it another way...If you drive a Mustang GT ( like the RT) you'll have lots of fun whipping around corners and scootin' thru traffic. But if you are going on a long trip, you better drive your Lincoln towncar ( like the LT) . You won't be as tired and your wife won't be complaining about the bucket seats! Nuff said!
Ron Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in