Grips - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Talking Grips

Where can I find grips for my K1200LT I would like to get the ribbed kind I have been seeing? Do I have to get heated grips or do I use the hardware thats already on my bike? Is it me or does the throttle side grip get hotter than the clutch side? Or do I have a heating problem? Also I removed my topcase and WOW , its like I have a new bike I love it. Well any help would be appreciated Guys and Gals....

Darryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 9:00 am

Throttle Side Heated Different...

I thought that the right sided grip was heated differently as well, but after messing around, I don't think so. I've noticed with me that I tend to hold the right grip tighter than the left, and when I grip tighter with my left hand the heat evens out.

If you don't mind me asking, what year is your bike?

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 9:54 am

Regular Gel Grips

I picked up a set of gel grips from Bob's for like $10-$15. Then just carefully...very carefully, used a razor knife and cut off the factory rubber grips being Careful not to cut into the heating elements (worked very slowly cutting little at a time). Then just slid on the new gel grips over the bar ends and heating elements. Works great and are much much more comfy than stock. Takes a little longer to heat up, but not a big deal to me.

HTH's!

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
Where can I find grips for my K1200LT I would like to get the ribbed kind I have been seeing? Do I have to get heated grips or do I use the hardware thats already on my bike? Is it me or does the throttle side grip get hotter than the clutch side? Or do I have a heating problem? Also I removed my topcase and WOW , its like I have a new bike I love it. Well any help would be appreciated Guys and Gals....

Darryl
Are you looking for 'fatter' grips or just a different feel but same circumference.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:07 am Thread Starter

I have 2000.....
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:09 am Thread Starter

I have a fatter grip now with chrome ends they do not look factory. I need something a little smaller. Do I just cut the rubber and leave the chrome end?
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:11 am Thread Starter

So you cut the rubber between the chrome ends and grip housing? Then slid the new grips over the chrome ends ........
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:26 am

Exclamation Don't Cut Yet!!!!!

Quote:
So you cut the rubber between the chrome ends and grip housing? Then slid the new grips over the chrome ends ........
Sounds like someone has already installed aftermarket grips on your ride. My '05 had the factory rubber grips which I cut off.

If you have a set of aftermarket heated grips installed, that is a different story.....out of my realm of experience

There is a ton of knowledge on this site, so someone will have the correct answer for you I'm sure. Maybe if you can snap a pic of your grips and post it, that may help.

BTW...the rubber ribbed kind (all condom jokes aside) you have been seeing on other LT's are most likely the factory grips!

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #9 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldaggs
I have a fatter grip now with chrome ends they do not look factory. I need something a little smaller. Do I just cut the rubber and leave the chrome end?
Can you take a picture of what you have? There was a couple of people that adapted another BMW grip but it would be good to see what you are starting with.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:03 pm

My 2000 has the chrome ends on each side of the grip. These were standard on the Custom bikes (bikes that came with the chrome package). Most of the people here have changed to this style away from the standard (ribbed) grips.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 3:30 pm

Just a note on getting grips off for replacement....cccpastorjack recently showed me a trick using compressed air to get my grip off. He "blew it up" at one end and the grip came right off with the air pressure.

Sounds a lot safer than the razor blade technique and possibly damaging the heater wires.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 5:28 pm

Garage
If you search either this site or the old one, I remember seeing a post of someone who installed the Kurakyen Iso Grips that worked with the heated grips.

I had a set on my Vulcan and enjoyed the hand massage during a LD ride.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #13 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Thumbs up

I put the Kuryakyns on. I love them. You would have to check the threads for info on them. You have to order them right from Kuryakyn. The same size is used on left and right. there also is a special way to install. Not difficult to do. They are larger and have a very nice look.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
If you search either this site or the old one, I remember seeing a post of someone who installed the Kurakyen Iso Grips that worked with the heated grips.

I had a set on my Vulcan and enjoyed the hand massage during a LD ride.
Click here to go the instructions on what to order from Kuryakyn and the how to for install. Click here to see the pictures. This upgrade was done by Dave Shealey.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:44 am

Smile Hand Grips!

I am also looking to repalce the factory grips on my LT. I have worn through the right hand grip, exposing the heating element. Is that safe??

Anyhow, I would like to go with something that is fatter & looks better, like the grips on a Honda Valykrie. They are chromed, fat, & have 5 rubber inserts for grippability. I am looking to increase the thickness of the grips without loosing the heated capability.

Any ideas from you all? I have been told that upgrading to the Kuryakan grips, I would lose the heated feature. Is this so?

I put myself at the mercy of the forum!

Dave
American by Birth,
Biker by Choice,
Patriot Forever!
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:15 am

Wilson tennis grips

I took Dave Dragon's advice a few years ago and just covered my existing....worn/split.....grips and covered them with Wilson tennis racket tape that you can get from WalMart for $2.62 x 2 to cover both sides.

They are not only thicker and fit my hand better but they are also very comfortable and look decent installed for less than $6 total.

And you can always take them off without any mess. I had to re-do my right grip last month when the old grip underneath was sliding slowly back off the bar. CCCpastorjack had used compressed air to blow up and then remove grips before and it worked great getting the old grip off without razor blades. We then applied "gorrilla snot" 3M window adhesive from auto zone when reapplying the old grip. I then bought a new Wilson grip tape since the old one was ratty and not as sticky after removal, and reapplied the Wilson tape to the newly glued original OEM grip.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I am also looking to repalce the factory grips on my LT. I have worn through the right hand grip, exposing the heating element. Is that safe??
Probably safe since it is only 12 volts, probably not smart as those wire are fragile and will break eventually. Once broken there is not repair except to replace the complete grip assembly and that means a tupperware removal to get all the connections made. Plus the grip assemblies are not cheap at $100 and $95 retail for the right and left grips respectively.

Quote:
Anyhow, I would like to go with something that is fatter & looks better, like the grips on a Honda Valykrie. They are chromed, fat, & have 5 rubber inserts for grippability. I am looking to increase the thickness of the grips without loosing the heated capability.
Did you look at the pictures by clicking on the blue here in my post that you responded too? Several of the folks that also posted to this thread stated that these grips are fatter than the stock grips.

Quote:
Any ideas from you all? I have been told that upgrading to the Kuryakan grips, I would lose the heated feature. Is this so?
The answer is no. Whomever told you that is incorrect. Read the installation instructions, the other blue here in the same post, and you know exactly what you have to do to make it everything work correctly provided you have broken any of the heating wires yet.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:42 am

Other grip options

I was so busy chasing down the information on Dave Shealey's upgrade to the Kuryakyn grips that I forgot about a couple of other options for increasing the grip size. Both are relatively inexpensive and easy to do. The first is to use tennis racket handle tape, 8 bucks at you local sporting goods store. The second is a product called "Grip Puppies". Do a search on the site for either one and you'll find all you need including pictures.

Thanks for the reminder Wes, jwp767.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in