Headlight Dims With Brakes... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Headlight Dims With Brakes...

Cruising around last night, I noticed when I first actuate either the front or rear brakes, the headlight dims/flickers then comes back. Kind of weird. Very quick, so not too concerned right off. My only hesitation is for when I start putting farkles on (GPS, HID, other lighting, etc).

The battery checks out at 12.65 volts on my meter, so I guess that leaves the actuators putting a big load on the electrical system. Rather not have the actuators pop a fuse while riding. As long as I don't hook anything up to draw from the brake circuit, I should be fine.

Any suggestions or comments?

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 4:10 pm

Voltage when running.

Run the bike at Idle, Measure the voltage and then actuate the brakes.
If you're getting a serious voltage drop then you may need to look further.
Maybe as simple as cleaning the battery connections. Hopefully not an alternator problem.....

I'm sure the servo system draws quite a bit of current, but that is what the battery is for...There was some kind of recall or additional info on that system as well, I believe Something about draining the battery in heavy stop and go traffic and then failing.....Someone who owns a newer model will chime in pretty soon.

Good Luck with that..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 11 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 4:42 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
Cruising around last night, I noticed when I first actuate either the front or rear brakes, the headlight dims/flickers then comes back. Kind of weird. Very quick, so not too concerned right off. My only hesitation is for when I start putting farkles on (GPS, HID, other lighting, etc).

The battery checks out at 12.65 volts on my meter, so I guess that leaves the actuators putting a big load on the electrical system. Rather not have the actuators pop a fuse while riding. As long as I don't hook anything up to draw from the brake circuit, I should be fine.

Cheers,
It is perfectly normal. The servo actuators combined with the brake lights draw enough current to make the lights dim. You have plenty of alternator output on the LT to run most anything you throw at it.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
It is perfectly normal. The servo actuators combined with the brake lights draw enough current to make the lights dim. You have plenty of alternator output on the LT to run most anything you throw at it.
That's great. I just had horrible visions of electronic shorts while doing 85 on the highway. I planned on putting on a voltmeter anyway, so that bit of monitoring should help.

Thanks all,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 5:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad

Cheers,
You might check the ground wire in the headlight assembly. I've seen a few go bad and actually fall off. But, not on an 06....... yet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 5:44 am

My '05 did the same thing from day one. I dont have that problem anymore since I installed my Xenon kit from XenonDepot .

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #7 of 11 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 7:19 am

Headlight Dims

Make sure that you have a good ground.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 8:09 am

Same symptom for my bike, '05. No problem with how it works.. miles of smiles.

I only suggest you keep a sharp eye on the "brake" warning light. If you get a "flash" while operating (after the first startup self test), get it to the dealer so they can check for a brake fault.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 11 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Talking Dim Lights

Mine did the same thing, eventually the radio started flickering and then the bike actually died when coming to a stop. I cleaned all the grounds I could find and it was cured.

Mike Riley
'03 Graphite Met
AMA, IBA
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:47 am

I was sitting stopped behind another car on the way home last night and let off brakes and re-applied and noticed that my lights dimmed ever so faintly. I would say that the alternator at idle is not putting out enough juice to keep up with the demands. I can't remember if I had the GPS and/or radio on. I don;t have extra lights or anything, except a hyper light brake light. I have noticed this on my other bikes in the past too. And never had any real problems, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless its a big difference.

In the past, while taking and later coaching ERC classes, that the stop and gop pace will cause problems with about all charging systems and cooling systems, to the point of killing batteries. Could be same in traffic, if you don;t get moving more than you are stopped.

Randy
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
In the past, while taking and later coaching ERC classes, that the stop and gop pace will cause problems with about all charging systems and cooling systems, to the point of killing batteries. Could be same in traffic, if you don;t get moving more than you are stopped.
I have taken two ERCs on my LT. The first was in 100+ degree temps, tmgs, DaveDragon, and few others on this board can talk about that one. I ran all the lights, headlight and MotoLights, all day long and never ever had an issue with bike/battery not having enough juice to start every time I asked it to. The second was in 68 degree weather, so it doesn't count.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in