Need a shorter shift linkage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 3:31 am Thread Starter

Question Need a shorter shift linkage

EDIT -- OOOPS! Sorry Darrell -- I inadvertantly edited your post when replying, and couldn't restore it!! I'll go back to moderator's school to get requalified on the new software

I wear a 43/43 (~size 9). I shift with the lever at the shift pad on my left boot, just about at the joint behind the big toe.

Just to check, I went out and sat on the bike, and realized I unconsciously slide my foot forward as a shift, with the heel going from behind the peg to above (not in front of) the foot peg rubber. Happens so fast I didn't even notice at first. You may want to try this for a week or so to see if you can get comfortable with it.

Last edited by mneblett; Oct 2nd, 2005 at 9:02 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 4:35 am

Lightbulb Maybe you need to shift where your foot rests

Hmmmm. Do you hook you heals over the foot pegs? I wear a 10 1/2 boot and the shifter catches me just at the joint where the toe connects to the foot. I ride with the balls of my feet on the foot pegs, so when I shift I guess I move my foot forward a little bit farther than you do.

Just guessing here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 7:33 am

Umm...two comments off the top of my head. 1) You really need to start wearing riding boots. I don't care if that shifter is hitting you in the toe...now way should it be turning your toe nail WHITE if they're a quality pair of boots. ...and 2) Like Steve said, simply move your foot forward.

To be frank, your post baffles me. And I think I can speak for many that your post will confuse the majority. I'm not saying this to offend you, but to get you thinking that perhaps, it's something that you are doing differently than all of us.

Food for thought. Take a bite, or spit it out.

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 7:38 am

Smile Joe .... work on that avatar.

Joe, your avatar looks like a snoopy ballarina to a blind old guy like me. You need a manly man's avatar. Or something hocky like mine
post #5 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 7:43 am

It's 'Joe Cool' on a motorbike . . . and I happen to like it. It's a pic of a pin that I wear on my riding gear, given to me by Bob Menton. He's a lot like me . . . a lot nicer in person than on the forum.

I'll try to make it a little more clear for the older eyes in the group. AS for yours . . . umm . . . yea . . . it's "hockey" alright. Or, is that "hokey" you wuz tryin' to spell?
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 7:43 am

I understand the problem Darrell. I suffer from it to.
European size 42. about size 8/8.5
I asked the dealer about it. They say there is nothing that can be done short of cutting a section out of the leaver and rewelding it. They would not recommend that.
BTW What happened the board last night. Its all changed. I had to re register.

Cha
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 7:52 am

Unhappy Having fun wth ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
It's 'Joe Cool' on a motorbike . . . and I happen to like it. .......it's "hockey" alright. Or, is that "hokey" you wuz tryin' to spell?
I know... I wuz just pickin on you. Please accept my hart felt apologie.
post #8 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 7:56 am

Please don't insult me by apologizing anymore. I am Mr. Unoffendable! ...And don't cha forget it!!!
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
now way should it be turning your toe nail WHITE if they're a quality pair of boots.
I agree.
I have a pair of SIDI boots, they have a hard plastic piece at the top of the boot where it makes contact with the shifter lever.

I don't feel any pressure at all. I wear a 12 (usa) boot.

Another though, Try to use less pressure when upshifting. the LT doesn't take kindly to banging the shifter into gear....

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #10 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I am wearing riding boots. They even have the reinforced area on top where the shifting pegs on my other bikes contact them. Of course, the reinforced area of the boot is about 1.5" behind where the LT shift peg makes contact. It's good to know that I'm not the only person who's experienced this. Maybe I just need to use a different technique on the LT, like sliding my foot forward. It just seems to me that with my foot in the normal riding position, which I assume is with the heel of my boot behind the footpeg, that the shift peg would contact the boot at the proper place. I was just curious if anyone made a shorter shift lever. BTW, my other 2 bikes measure 6.5" from the trailing edge of the foot pegs to the center of the shift pegs, the LT measures 7.75". Thanks again.
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 3:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Me too

Hi Darrell ,My big toe nail gets a little presser on it also . But mine turns purple . If I keep the nail trimmed up it usually doesn't do it , but that toe is a long way down there so it don't get done . ...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #12 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:15 pm

Steel toed shoes?? Maybe??

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunkOfBurninLuv
Joe, your avatar looks like a snoopy ballarina to a blind old guy like me. You need a manly man's avatar. Or something hocky like mine

HAHAHA LMAO I thought the same thing, never looked at it close enough till now. Sorry for what I was thinking Joe.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 6:15 pm

need a shorter shifter

with a 8.5 shoe i have always had that problem , so i have adjusted by placeing my heel on the peg while shifting up or down, it saves on trying to reconfigure the pegs or shifter.
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

I'm starting to think that this is a fairly common problem. I wonder if any of the aftermarket folks would be willing to tackle it. I'd be the first in line for a replacement shifter of shorter length.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #16 of 18 Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:39 pm

Shift adjustment

Picked up a new 05LT last summer and the shift lever was too far from the front of my boot. The manual said that the shifter was adjustable. I was used to the position of my 1976 R75 so I asked the dealer and got it shortened so it is where I want it. My boot is a square toe type with 3/4 western heal, not easy to slide forward. I thought as the bike was new and I only had it a week they would make the adjustment as part of the prep and delivery (not), the adjustment cost $80.

With all these little Icons you think they would have one with $$ signs on it for the BMW riders.
post #17 of 18 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 12:03 am

i just sent you a pm. i think the name of the product is buck's kick shifter. omurphy
post #18 of 18 Old Mar 11th, 2007, 1:53 am

Another option might be the "peg lowering kit". It lowers the peg and moves it forward a bit too. I have just the opposite problem, I want my shifter longer. I wear a size 13 wide gunboat and have troubles sometimes getting my toe up under the shifter. I can't wear my work boots (steel toes) to ride because the toe is far too thick to go under the shifter. You may want to look into that before you try steel toes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in