Anyone selling J&M headsets - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By microdoc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 24th, 2018, 5:10 am Thread Starter

Anyone selling J&M headsets

Hi Guys,

Looking to get my hands on a pair (or better still, THREE) J&M headsets and connecting leads suitable for flip type helmets, for use with my 2003 LT

Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 24th, 2018, 4:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Anyone selling J&M headsets

PM sent. I don't have any leads, but I do have the headset.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #3 of 15 Old May 24th, 2018, 5:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMARK View Post
Hi Guys,

Looking to get my hands on a pair (or better still, THREE) J&M headsets and connecting leads suitable for flip type helmets, for use with my 2003 LT

Can anyone help?
If you are looking for new, I would contact J&M. I believe they still sell these. At least for the later model LTs like my 07. Not sure about your 03.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old May 24th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Just wondering why you would want to use an old fashioned tethered headset when you can go cable free. I just bought myself a Sena 30K and so far it seems fantastic. It has voice activation and even has a great built in FM radio. You get in helmet GPS directs and of course voice activated speed dialing for your phone. No cables to get tangled in and no modifications to be made to your bike.
post #5 of 15 Old May 24th, 2018, 10:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Just wondering why you would want to use an old fashioned tethered headset when you can go cable free. I just bought myself a Sena 30K and so far it seems fantastic. It has voice activation and even has a great built in FM radio. You get in helmet GPS directs and of course voice activated speed dialing for your phone. No cables to get tangled in and no modifications to be made to your bike.
How long do the batteries last? I ride 10-12 hour days and don't want to have to recharge helmets.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old May 24th, 2018, 11:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I still use corded headsets for a few reasons, nothing to do with old fashioned, but everything to performance and convenience.

1. No batteries to run down before the riding ends. Very few BT headsets will last 10 hours in real world use when new. After five years of use, the battery life will be significantly less. By 10 years of age, the battery life will likely be completely impractical for a real traveler. My BMW (J&M) headsets still work 24 hours a day at 11 years of age. My prior Kawasaki headsets (Clarion, if memory serves) worked 24 hours a day at 17 years of age.

2. No batteries to recharge every night and extra chargers to carry. I already have to carry a 4 port charger for two iPhones and two iPads.

3. Much less bulk on the helmet.

4. No fiddling required while riding.

5. Much lower initial cost and much greater useful life.

If the above attributes are old fashioned, then I'm happy to be old fashioned. Newer isn't always better.

Sure, wireless has its advantages such as no cords to deal with and the ability to talk bike to bike if close together. However, I can easily get off my bike without unplugging my headset cable and remove my helmet. I rarely unplug it other that in the morning and at the end of the days ride. And the cable is unobtrusive while riding.

For me, corded advantages still far outweigh wireless advantages. Unfortunately, most new bikes only offer BT, which is a pain and will likely force me to the inferior BT technology when I replace my LT.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 15 Old May 25th, 2018, 6:16 am

Well I should have known better than to describe it as old fashioned. I'm a fine one to speak. I use fountain pens for most of my writing and I like nothing better than to put an old vinyl record on my vintage Akai system.
I actually have to agree with most of what you are saying here Voyager and I have to admit that I haven't had a chance to test them fully. I only got the head set two days ago but from what I have read about them the Sena system has pretty good battery life and one owner stated that he was only needing to charge it once a week, but then how much use it had in a week he really didn't say.
post #8 of 15 Old May 25th, 2018, 8:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well I should have known better than to describe it as old fashioned. I'm a fine one to speak. I use fountain pens for most of my writing and I like nothing better than to put an old vinyl record on my vintage Akai system.
I actually have to agree with most of what you are saying here Voyager and I have to admit that I haven't had a chance to test them fully. I only got the head set two days ago but from what I have read about them the Sena system has pretty good battery life and one owner stated that he was only needing to charge it once a week, but then how much use it had in a week he really didn't say.
A fountain pen? Now that's funny!

Seriously, I've used BT only once and they were Sena 10 rentals. They often lost connection during the day and battery life was about 8 hours. Once we forgot to charge one and it died the next day before lunch. We were only riding 4-6 hours a day in Scotland. I have no idea of the age of these units. I just thought dealing with two more chargers and the bulk of the units which made them hard to fit in the side cases was more hassle than plugging in cords a couple times a day.

Please share your experiences here as you use them more. I would be more inclined towards BT if there was a unit with an easily replaceable battery pack so that you didn't have to buy an entire new headset after 5-8 years when the batteries have degraded 30-50%.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 15 Old May 25th, 2018, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
A fountain pen? Now that's funny!

Seriously, I've used BT only once and they were Sena 10 rentals. They often lost connection during the day and battery life was about 8 hours. Once we forgot to charge one and it died the next day before lunch. We were only riding 4-6 hours a day in Scotland. I have no idea of the age of these units. I just thought dealing with two more chargers and the bulk of the units which made them hard to fit in the side cases was more hassle than plugging in cords a couple times a day.

Please share your experiences here as you use them more. I would be more inclined towards BT if there was a unit with an easily replaceable battery pack so that you didn't have to buy an entire new headset after 5-8 years when the batteries have degraded 30-50%.
Well it's a Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 and it's just a beautifully made classic pen.
I believe there is a vast difference between the old Senas and the latest 30K version. They claim a 13 hour talk time. Running in Mesh mode they claim 8 hours of constant talk time.
As a bit of a test tonight I have had the FM radio turned on constantly for 6 hours tonight and it says the battery level is still high.

I understand what you are saying about 5-8 years but how many of us keep a mobile phone that long. Most of us flip them for the next best thing within a year or two. That's the sad thing about modern technology, it progresses quickly and will never be considered classic or vintage, just forgotten and replaced by the next bright new thing.

Hell I'm 60 next year, my Father passed away at 66. My new head set might just outlive me
post #10 of 15 Old May 25th, 2018, 11:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well it's a Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 and it's just a beautifully made classic pen.
I believe there is a vast difference between the old Senas and the latest 30K version. They claim a 13 hour talk time. Running in Mesh mode they claim 8 hours of constant talk time.
As a bit of a test tonight I have had the FM radio turned on constantly for 6 hours tonight and it says the battery level is still high.

I understand what you are saying about 5-8 years but how many of us keep a mobile phone that long. Most of us flip them for the next best thing within a year or two. That's the sad thing about modern technology, it progresses quickly and will never be considered classic or vintage, just forgotten and replaced by the next bright new thing.

Hell I'm 60 next year, my Father passed away at 66. My new head set might just outlive me
Definitely curious to hear your experience as you use the 30 for a while. I read an early review where the tester only got 4.5 hours in mesh mode with three other 30s and 8 hours in non-mesh mode.

I am just not a throwaway person. I am writing this on a 5.5 year old iPad mini. I'm upgrading only because Apple quit providing iOS updates and the battery life is 50% of new and isn't easily replaced. My iPhone 5 still works after 3.5 years, but battery life has degraded noticeably. I dislike planned/forced obsolescence and avoid such products when possible.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 15 Old May 25th, 2018, 11:09 am

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help?
I have two installed in helmets with tether cables. I would love to sell the helmets also. They are XXXL and L. The XXXL is a Scorpion. Can't recall the other, but would get you all the information if you are at all interested.
post #12 of 15 Old May 25th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help?

I have the leads if you still need them.

M

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #13 of 15 Old May 29th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Quote:
My ‘03 K1200LT is wired for these J&M headsets which have always worked flawlessly and never require battery re-charging.
Voyager likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old May 29th, 2018, 4:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Not sure what happened to the OP. I sent him/her PM, but haven't heard a thing.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 15 Old May 29th, 2018, 5:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdoc View Post
My ‘03 K1200LT is wired for these J&M headsets which have always worked flawlessly and never require battery re-charging.
Well, after 11 years and 70,000 miles, my wife's headset starting generating a lot of static on the ride to CCR. I swapped cords with hers and the static transferred to me so I am pretty sure it is her cord set. I then swapped just the lower cords and the static went back to her headset so I am pretty sure it is the lower. The new one from J&M arrived today. A little pricey at $80, but made in Japan rather than China and I will pay for Japanese quality any day.

So, I can no longer say my J&M headsets have been trouble-free, but given that I would likely be well into a second set of BT headsets by now at a cost of close to $500, the $80 cable is a bargain. I just hope I got it right and this fixes the problem.

One thing I like about J&M is the customer service. When I send an email, more often than not it is the owner (John) who replies. I wasn't sure I had found the correct cord as BMW isn't listed any longer on the cords, but John replied the same day and I ordered the cord the next day. It almost beat us home from CCR. That is my kind of company.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in