Hydraulic Clutch Woes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 21st, 2018, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Hydraulic Clutch Woes

Last week, first time out of the garage for the old girl this year, I lost hydraulic pressure at the clutch lever. Starting at the easy to work on end of the system, I found plenty of evidence of fluid seepage so changed the seals in the master cylinder.

I followed Kirks' instructional video on how to bleed the system, but still had very poor clutch action...it would just about disengage, but as much as twitch your fingers holding the lever and the clutch would bite.

I left the lever cable tied back to the bars for a couple of days, and today found it much better, not 100%, but now rideable. And no obvious loss of fluid, which I hope means the slave cylinder isn't leaking. I suspect there is still some air in the system.

So I just wanted to ask 2 things:

1. Any tips or tricks to bleeding the system not covered in the video?
2. When I re-opened the reservoir after the lever was tied-back, I found the new fluid had gone a little cloudy, something I've never come across before. Any thoughts as to why this might be?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 21st, 2018, 4:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Hydraulic Clutch Woes

Could be cloudy from micro-bubbles that worked their way back up. It is hard to get bubbles to "go down" as in trying to get them out at the bleeder. May try going the other way and drain out the reservoir and "push" fluid up from the bottom with a syringe. Also it will gravity drain if you just open the bleeder and leave it.

I guess one more would be to ask has the "weep hole" been drilled in the slave mounting boss? See the sticky note above. If not then the slave could be leaking and you will not notice it until it contaminates the clutch.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old May 22nd, 2018, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Re: Hydraulic Clutch Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Could be cloudy from micro-bubbles that worked their way back up. It is hard to get bubbles to "go down" as in trying to get them out at the bleeder. May try going the other way and drain out the reservoir and "push" fluid up from the bottom with a syringe. Also it will gravity drain if you just open the bleeder and leave it.

I guess one more would be to ask has the "weep hole" been drilled in the slave mounting boss? See the sticky note above. If not then the slave could be leaking and you will not notice it until it contaminates the clutch.
Good point about the bubbles, didn't think of that. I did actually try sucking fluid through from the bleed pipe with a syringe to speed things up, didn't want to risk pushing air back into the pipes by pumping it the other way.
As to the weep hole, I'm guessing it hasn't been done, the bike was dealer maintained by its last owner and theres no sign of it in the bundle of paperwork and receipts that came with the bike.
Thanks for your help, hopefully a little patience and a little more careful bleeding of the system should have it sorted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in