Is there a way to adjust the fuel mixture? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By DRONE
  • 2 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 17th, 2018, 11:18 pm Thread Starter

Is there a way to adjust the fuel mixture?

On a 2009 K1200lt,

In the Az summer she runs a little rough.

On my old VW fuel injection I could adjust the mix and get it to idle a little better in the heat.

Is there any way to do that to the K1200lt?

Maybe change spark plugs to a colder plug?

Or a adjustment screw in the fuel system on the bike?

Why am I here and what day is it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 17th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Re: Is there a way to adjust the fuel mixture?

This sounds like the issue with high ambient temps affecting performance. Depending on what ECU is in your bike there may be a solution. On the 09, there is probably a small brown wire loop under the seat I believe on the right side. IF your bike has the proper ECU installed, then you can cut this wire and it will enable a secondary fuel map for non US bikes without cat converters and runs a richer mixture that usually cures the hesitation in higher temps. It has to be an ECU with the dual map though. A gs911 or the dealer MoDiTec readout can tell you what P/N is installed. I do not know what happens if you cut the wire with the wrong ECU but there are cautions about it.

Here is a thread to read and post #14 has links to more good information about the ECU P/N's and what you would need for that approach.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...code-plug.html

Another possibility is to unplug the air box temp sensor which also alters the mix. There are strong cautions about cutting the wire and also unplugging the sensor at the same time. It is a one or the other, not both. read up before you try either of these as you need more information to make a decision.

Lastly, there are chips available with alternate mappings also if you have the correct ECU. John Gemi (sp) is one who sells these chips on Ebay and swapping the chip might help your issue too although getting one of John's chips has been difficult as I think he is having health issues. Several options to evaluate if you really want to try and fix your issue.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 18th, 2018, 12:00 am

Garage

No, not really. The fuel injection system on the bike is controlled by the bike's Motronic Control Unit (the computer). You have an oxygen sensor attached to the exhaust system that "sniffs" the exhaust gases constantly and that info is used by the Motronic to adjust the air-to-fuel ratio being delivered to the cylinders. The A/F ratio is purposefully set at the factory to be on the lean side because this improves the EPA test results. Most bikes in most conditions do fine with the lean mix. But most bikes in most conditions would run better with a richer A/F ratio. The problem is, no matter what you do to make the A/F ratio richer, the O2 sensor will know and the Motronic will override.

One of the things that affects A/F ratios is air temperatures. If the bike is sucking in colder air, the computer will add more fuel to compensate for the increased density of the air. You still end up with the same A/F ratio. BUT . . . one of the things that some tuners have tried is to add an extra circuit to the temperature sensor to make it send false readings to the computer. Basically, to tell the Motronic that the ambient temperature is 20 degrees (F) colder than it really is. That's what the Boosterplug does, for instance. (https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-bmw-k1200lt-203p.html). The problem with these things (my opinion only) is the bike will run like it's being chased by the Devil on your first tank of gas, will run somewhat better on your 2nd tank of gas, and by the 3rd tank of gas the Motronic will have figgered out your Tom Foolery and adjusted things back to the baseline.

The next step is to try re-writing the factory programming in the Motronic. You will sometimes hear this referred to as changing "the map." In fact, sometimes even BMW will come out with a new map for a bike that's already on the road. Same goes for cars--I got a new map for my Jeep 6 months after I bought it (new) and the new map was a transformation. Just sayin'. For the LT, the only product that I know of that will re-write the Motronic map is John's Performance Chip. Does it work? I don't know. Are there drawbacks? I don't know. You should maybe start reading the threads here and decide for yourself. Here's one to get you started -- http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...p-install.html

Would everybody else now please chime in and correct any mis-info I've provided?
Patric likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old May 18th, 2018, 7:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
This sounds like the issue with high ambient temps affecting performance. Depending on what ECU is in your bike there may be a solution. On the 09, there is probably a small brown wire loop under the seat I believe on the right side. IF your bike has the proper ECU installed, then you can cut this wire and it will enable a secondary fuel map for non US bikes without cat converters and runs a richer mixture that usually cures the hesitation in higher temps. It has to be an ECU with the dual map though. A gs911 or the dealer MoDiTec readout can tell you what P/N is installed. I do not know what happens if you cut the wire with the wrong ECU but there are cautions about it.
I think you are thinking about the 99 and 00 model LT's.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old May 18th, 2018, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I think you are thinking about the 99 and 00 model LT's.
Didn't the later models come with the brown wire? earlier models only had the cat code plug under the rear seat and no brown wire like mine. In any case, it does sound like the same issue with air temp over 80 and those were the potential solutions.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #6 of 10 Old May 18th, 2018, 10:00 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Didn't the later models come with the brown wire? earlier models only had the cat code plug under the rear seat and no brown wire like mine. In any case, it does sound like the same issue with air temp over 80 and those were the potential solutions.
Only the 2002 - 2004 LT's had two maps with the brown wire.
Patric and beech like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 10 Old May 18th, 2018, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Only the 2002 - 2004 LT's had two maps with the brown wire.
Thanks for the clarification Dave. Is pulling the air box temp sensor still an option for Kevin?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 10 Old May 18th, 2018, 10:28 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Dave. Is pulling the air box temp sensor still an option for Kevin?
I think that only helps on the 1999 - 2001 LT's

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 1st, 2018, 1:05 pm

Garage

Okay, so I attempted to do one of these mods for my 05. According to this thread 02-04 is a brown wire cut? I have looked for a brown wire loop on my 05 and do not see it. Does that mean I am a Cat Plug unplugger from under the tour pack? It's always above 80 in South Texas. I have not owned my bike long. I am still getting to know her. I think I feel the lag from the timing retarder.

Thanks!

2005 LT

Suzuki Boulevard C109RT
Suzuki Boulevard C50
77 Triumph Bonneville T140
Suzuki Intruder 1400
Suzuki GS 850
Honda V65 Magna
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 1st, 2018, 4:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

No brown wire and no CAT code plug. Unplugging the air box temp sensor may help but I have not seen anyone report on the 05 with that.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in