• 2 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 16th, 2018, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

Roadside Assistance

Which companies offer the best roadside assistance insurance in the United States? I am currently using AAA but have no actual experience with them.

Manheim, PA
2002 LT BlueBeast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 16th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Garage
Re: Roadside Assistance

You have to have RV coverage for them to tow a motorcycle. I used them when I broke the driveshaft on my RT. Luckily, the dealer was only 40 miles away.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old May 16th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Here is a posting less than six months ago:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-tal...periences.html

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old May 17th, 2018, 1:23 am

Garage

You might want to check your motorcycle insurance policy. Many policies offer or include Towing coverage. I'm with Progressive and this is how they describe their version of it --

Roadside assistance
If you get stuck or your bike is disabled, we’ll tow it to the nearest repair shop for free. You just have to be within 100 feet of the road. You can also add trip interruption to pay for food and lodging expenses up to $500 if you’re away from home (you must have roadside assistance first then add trip interruption).

Thankfully, I've never had to use it. But, if I ever do, I'm sure the responsiveness of the towing service will have nothing to do with Progressive's ability to place phone calls to towing companies. It'll all depend on where I am, how far to the nearest tow service, do they have a truck that's available, do they have a truck that can handle a bike, did I give them decent directions to my location, etc.
post #5 of 17 Old May 17th, 2018, 8:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
You might want to check your motorcycle insurance policy. Many policies offer or include Towing coverage. I'm with Progressive and this is how they describe their version of it --

Roadside assistance
If you get stuck or your bike is disabled, we’ll tow it to the nearest repair shop for free. You just have to be within 100 feet of the road. You can also add trip interruption to pay for food and lodging expenses up to $500 if you’re away from home (you must have roadside assistance first then add trip interruption).

Thankfully, I've never had to use it. But, if I ever do, I'm sure the responsiveness of the towing service will have nothing to do with Progressive's ability to place phone calls to towing companies. It'll all depend on where I am, how far to the nearest tow service, do they have a truck that's available, do they have a truck that can handle a bike, did I give them decent directions to my location, etc.

I currently have what Progressive offers and MOA Platinum. I have not used either. I did use the towing through my car insurance (Erie) and was not impressed. They would not tow to my dealer or even an independent garage I trust. Only the nearest garage. I did not trust their nearest garage so I had to pay the difference for towing to the dealer I use. It was 20 miles vs. 4 so I paid the bulk of the cost in the end. Progressive is worded nearly the same as Erie, so I expect your BMW would get towed to a Harley dealer (they're everywhere) or independent shop. Good luck with that.

I am considering Good Sam's given the positive reviews I've read here and elsewhere. And the MOA Platinum packaged took a huge price jump at my last renewal. I think I paid $360 for 5 years previously and the last renewal was over $200 for two years. This includes the club membership, not just road service, but I have found MOA fairly useless.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 17 Old May 17th, 2018, 10:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I currently have what Progressive offers and MOA Platinum. I have not used either. I did use the towing through my car insurance (Erie) and was not impressed. They would not tow to my dealer or even an independent garage I trust. Only the nearest garage. I did not trust their nearest garage so I had to pay the difference for towing to the dealer I use. It was 20 miles vs. 4 so I paid the bulk of the cost in the end. Progressive is worded nearly the same as Erie, so I expect your BMW would get towed to a Harley dealer (they're everywhere) or independent shop. Good luck with that.

I am considering Good Sam's given the positive reviews I've read here and elsewhere. And the MOA Platinum packaged took a huge price jump at my last renewal. I think I paid $360 for 5 years previously and the last renewal was over $200 for two years. This includes the club membership, not just road service, but I have found MOA fairly useless.
I am considering Good Sam also. I have never had a roadside plan but it seems both my 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler are doing nothing but getting older along with me
katnapinn and Voyager like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #7 of 17 Old May 18th, 2018, 12:13 am

Garage

I guess you guys are looking for something more than me. If I break down, I just want to get my bike off the side of the road and back to some sort of a town where I can find a cell phone signal, a motel and some food. I'll take care of things from there.

Maybe you guys are from Back East or something? Out West, the basic idea is to not die from exposure or sunstroke or hypothermia if you don't have to.
post #8 of 17 Old May 18th, 2018, 11:02 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I've had Good Sam for about 10 years. Used it a fe times on cars and trucks and once for an old Honda I had. One of the perks of Good Sam is they cover the person not the vehicle so you covered in anything you drive/ride.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 17 Old May 18th, 2018, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
I've had Good Sam for about 10 years. Used it a fe times on cars and trucks and once for an old Honda I had. One of the perks of Good Sam is they cover the person not the vehicle so you covered in anything you drive/ride.
Just signed up minutes ago for the CCR-R venture. I liked that perk of it covering me even if I was in someone elses vehicle.
katnapinn likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 17 Old May 18th, 2018, 12:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Just signed up minutes ago for the CCR-R venture. I liked that perk of it covering me even if I was in someone elses vehicle.
Will it cover me if I am riding with you too?
katnapinn likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 17 Old May 18th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Will it cover me if I am riding with you too?
I think I have to be the one riding/driving but hey, they won't know if I tell them I borrowed your bike.
katnapinn likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 17 Old May 18th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Two years ago on a trip, my riding buddy's LT broke down. AAA used my card number to tow his bike about 80 miles.
post #13 of 17 Old May 26th, 2018, 9:12 am

I have used AAA for 3 decades. I won't ride without it. They have come to the rescue many times...sometimes hundreds of miles. I recommend getting the premium coverage so you are not limited to a 50 mile tow. Yes, many insurance policies already include it, but very limited coverage.
post #14 of 17 Old May 26th, 2018, 10:31 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Guess I have been luck in my 50 years of riding I have only had to call once and that was for fuel when I ran out.
Voyager likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #15 of 17 Old May 26th, 2018, 9:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Guess I have been luck in my 50 years of riding I have only had to call once and that was for fuel when I ran out.
This was my first call in 42 years of riding. And probably my last as it is easier just to take care of things yourself and save the road service plan cost.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 17 Old May 27th, 2018, 10:05 am

I have the MOA platinum plan and have used it 3 times over the years with great success
.1 fuel strip sensor failure for out of gas issue (now use trip odometer)
.2 wife's car battery
.3 buddy's GL1500 died after crossing the border into Michigan. Had to wait for a driver that was cleared for cross border travel but then they towed it to the Honda dearlership on the Canadian side.
post #17 of 17 Old May 27th, 2018, 6:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperless View Post
I have the MOA platinum plan and have used it 3 times over the years with great success
.1 fuel strip sensor failure for out of gas issue (now use trip odometer)
.2 wife's car battery
.3 buddy's GL1500 died after crossing the border into Michigan. Had to wait for a driver that was cleared for cross border travel but then they towed it to the Honda dearlership on the Canadian side.
Technically, didn't use the emergency road service. I was at a hotel 200 yards from a Honda dealer when I found the screw in my tire. I used the tire replacement coverage.

Who administers the program in Canada? I suspect it may not be the same company.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in