K1200LT Starting Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 11th, 2018, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down K1200LT Starting Problem

I have a '03 K1200LT that has an intermittent starting problem. Replaced the kickstand switch because I though every time I kicked it with my heel and the bike started, it was a bad switch. I was wrong. problem still occurs. I had it in the shop and they couldn't duplicate it. When I get on the bike, I put my right foot on the footbrake and try to start and some time is does and doesn't. The shop feels that might be taking load away from the starting sequence and pull from the battery to power the ABS solenoids. I now turn on the key and wait for the ABS to power up and it starts.That seemed to work.

The issue still exists and today went out after work and it started right up after waiting for the ABS module to power up. It died when I put in it gear with the kickstand down that I forgot to raise. Then it would not start. Several attempts to get it to start and waited until the ABS powered up, it started. Saturday, I played with it and found if I turn on the key, in neutral and wait till the ABS powers up, it starts.
After getting it home, I tried to start and it didn’t. I turned off the HI beam HID lights and turned the key on, waited for the ABS to power up, and it barely started. It appears the hi beam HID has to be off as well in neutral. I do have a low-beam HID.The battery is three years old and maybe worn.
Saturday, I played with it and found if I turn on the key, in neutral and wait till the ABS powers up, it starts.I asked the dealer about thinking it might be the battery.The battery prognosis seems plausible. They did check the battery and it held good voltage during a load. 3 years is getting into the gray area though and it is sometimes the simple things. They also also charged the battery during service and after, which is normal practice. Since it is 3 years old, you are having success when dropping additional loads from it during starting and they have seen batteries cause similar tricky symptoms in the past It may only be the weakest link in a bigger problem though because it did check out as good.

Any thoughts from you smart people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 11th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Re: K1200LT Starting Problem

When you say it doesn't start does it sound slow to crank or just no crank at all. If it sounds slow then I would say the battery or something in circuit that is dragging the battery down a little.
I had a problem with my car a while back. It came up with o2 censor faults and lean right bank rich left bank. It would die at idle and lost power all the time. Took it to Ford and they couldn't find the problem. Had it to my own mechanics many times over 12 months. I replaced censors, spark plugs, coil packs, even the computer. Turned out to be chafed wiring behind the engine causing false fault codes and sending everyone off on the wrong track. My mechanic fixed it for free at that point.
After that long winded reply I guess I'm saying look outside the box sometimes for the answers. It may not be the obvious but it might be as simple as chafed wiring.
post #3 of 9 Old May 11th, 2018, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Thank You for the reply. It just doesn't crank when I hit the starter button during the scenario described above.

post #4 of 9 Old May 12th, 2018, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Get a battery. 3 years is about average for my '05 LT over the years. I ride pretty much all year down here in The Great State of Alabama and regular use is best for most life IMHO. I'm not a fan of leaving the bike(s) on trickle chargers.

I think what you are experiencing is a relay preventing the starter because there isn't enough power. Older bikes would fuse the relay and cause problems.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #5 of 9 Old May 12th, 2018, 1:51 pm
Enjoy The Ride

My 2004 starter button has needed to be replaced for years. Sometimes mine takes a few pushes on the button before it cranks.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old May 12th, 2018, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: K1200LT Starting Problem

Thank you for your reply and I'm leaning towards that since as I said, I leave the HID Hi beam off and it starts.
post #7 of 9 Old May 12th, 2018, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew View Post
Get a battery. 3 years is about average for my '05 LT over the years.

My bike had an OEM style BMW battery in it when purchased in 2014. The PO said it was 2 years old -- that would make it 6 now. In 2016, not wanting to get caught somewhere, I installed the highly recommended Odyssey. Bike ran well after starting, but was sluggish to start, even at correct voltage, and kept on a BMW maintainer. The one that plugs into the power port on side of bike; not pigtails on the battery. So I reinstalled the other BMW battery last year; after sitting on shelf for 12 months, and she cranks good, runs fine, and stays charged. Go figure
post #8 of 9 Old May 13th, 2018, 12:38 am

You should hear the fuel pump prime and shut off with key on and the temp light should also be on with the engine not running if all the interlocks are met for starting. The kill switch can be cycled to hear the pump run again and the temp light will go off and on with the switch. If you find that you don't hear the pump run or the temp light is not on when it won't start, then one of the interlocks is not being satisfied. If they are, then as Saddleman said, it may be a bad start button. The 03 has the updated starter relay and if the battery voltage is low, it will prevent the starter from engaging but it has to be pretty low like below 11V, not sure of the exact voltage. Check with a meter to see how low the voltage drops with key on.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old May 13th, 2018, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
I installed the highly recommended Odyssey. Bike ran well after starting, but was sluggish to start, even at correct voltage....
I know I am one of the few, but this is one reason I never liked the Odyssey. I installed a Westco and my LT cranked like the original battery.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in