Gear whine - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By 14wntr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 4:57 am Thread Starter

Gear whine

Hate the gear whine at 100 kph (62 mph) in 5th and prefer the more relaxed feel of the motor to using 4th which has no whine,would a K1200RS 6 speed gearbox fix this?,I lose reverse and the top gear ratios of .700:1 vs .829:1 would mean I would be revving 15% more in top gear.The speed enforcement in Australia is over the top and doing over 110 kph where the whine stops is not an option,would the 6 speed fix it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 10:10 am

Garage
Re: Gear whine

stop whining and turn up the radio,,,, yeah mine starts at 97 and goes out at 103 it's awful on a trip, ya think I would be use to it at 150000k probably cost you more than the bike is worth to change it.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 10:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

I would like to say my LT has no such gear whine, but I think the reality is that I can't hear it.

I ran a chain saw for several years in my teens and early twenties before we knew we should wear hearing protection. My hearing is decent to about 4 kHz, non existent from there to 8 kHz, then comes back at higher frequencies. I am guessing the K whine is in my dead zone.

Probably your best bet is some custom fit ear plugs with music capability. It will be very expensive to swap transmissions and you will lose reverse gear.
beech likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Done 115,000 and I have stopped playing music dunno why but I hear the whine more now will start music again,have already bought a K1200RS gearbox and starter for not much of a local wrecker on ebay ,have been into the clutch twice once for oiling second time bent a gearbox selector and put an oil proof clutch plate in while I was there,so the only remaining cost is my time,would like to be sure I would get the result before I do the work,nearly sold the LT the other day did the add but could not press the button to activate it,for many years used to go away every few weekends on it with 2 other couples on bikes,had a falling out with one couple and the other falling off too often and stopped riding,LT is hardly used now and I have a couple on classic rego which costs next to nothing over here
post #5 of 7 Old May 12th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Garage

I think it has been done in the states, I remember reading something along those lines, the LT is not worth selling in my opinion no body wants them, they are too heavy and too expensive to repair, my deceased mates 02 sold for 4600. I'de leave mine in the shed for that let us know how you go, I couldn't push mine backwards if I tried.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #6 of 7 Old May 14th, 2018, 11:55 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
. . . Probably your best bet is some custom fit ear plugs with music capability. It will be very expensive to swap transmissions and you will lose reverse gear.
Every bike I've ever owned ran way better when I put in my earplugs. I had this Guzzi once you'd think was on the verge of blowing up or falling to pieces then, in go the earplugs, and oh Gawd what a sweet machine!

I've tried a variety of plugs, including custom molded plugs. My favorite plug is the World's Finest. That's not what I'm calling them--that's the brand name.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FZ8CVG/
post #7 of 7 Old May 17th, 2018, 10:55 am

Mine has always had that whine you are talking about. Right about at 60. As the trans gears get worn in a bit, it will get slightly better. I think it has to do with the flat cut gears
Axle likes this.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in