Speedometer quit working and ABS light blinking - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 10th, 2018, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Speedometer quit working and ABS light blinking

Just got home from dinner ride. On the 50 mile ride to dinner weather was perfect and no problems with the bike. While in the restaurant a thunder storm came along with a lot of rain. After waiting for the worst to be over we starting on the way home. I noticed that the ABS light was blinking as well as speedometer not working. At first stop light I cut the bike off and restarted to see if that would re-boot the ABS light, which it did not. Any ideas? I have had the ABS light to do this before and after drying out would go off like it should but have never had speedometer problems. Just weird that everything was working as it should then after bike got wet I started having these problems. More info: the odometer is not working and the computer mileage left etc is not working but temp seems to be working fine.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 7:29 am

Re: Speedometer quit working and ABS light blinking

Fairly easy fix. Click on Technical tab, then Hall of Wisdom, then Troubleshooting, then Electrical System and click on DShealey name in item #10 - and instructions will pop up. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 9:27 am

If youíre lucky your rear ABS sensor or cable is gone.
Check the wire, it might be frayed somewhere.

If youíre not lucky, your ABS module is having problems.
Is the servo working?
Do refill the reservoirs on the module itself. It might be something that simple.
Hope this gets you started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------

post #4 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 10:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
Just got home from dinner ride. On the 50 mile ride to dinner weather was perfect and no problems with the bike. While in the restaurant a thunder storm came along with a lot of rain. After waiting for the worst to be over we starting on the way home. I noticed that the ABS light was blinking as well as speedometer not working. At first stop light I cut the bike off and restarted to see if that would re-boot the ABS light, which it did not. Any ideas? I have had the ABS light to do this before and after drying out would go off like it should but have never had speedometer problems. Just weird that everything was working as it should then after bike got wet I started having these problems. More info: the odometer is not working and the computer mileage left etc is not working but temp seems to be working fine.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.
It is very helpful to create a signature with your bike year. Many systems on the LT changed over the years and correct advice can only be offered if the year is known.

Sounds like you have an early model with the speed sensor in the final drive and a broken wire at a point where the wire was zip tied too tightly causing flex and failure.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. Mine is a 2002 model. I have been busy today (playing golf) and have not had time to check any further. Its just weird that the speedometer and ABS light showed up after the bike got wet. Just the single ABS is flashing not both back and forth.
post #6 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
Thanks. Mine is a 2002 model. I have been busy today (playing golf) and have not had time to check any further. Its just weird that the speedometer and ABS light showed up after the bike got wet. Just the single ABS is flashing not both back and forth.
On these K1200LT models (2002-2009 in USA), the REAR wheel ABS sensor serves two (2) functions:
1) it gather data / pulses for the ABS modulator to prevent wheel locking during braking (compared with front ABS wheel sensor in real-time)

2) the same pulse data above is also use to compute data to send to speedometer.

Hence, all of the cases BELOW can cause the symptoms you are seeing:
(A) if the sensor is damaged,

(B) if the sensor wiring is damaged (from sensor to connector)

(C) if the sensor wiring is unplugged or loose at connector

(D) if these sensor gap clearance is not within specs. Specs are very wide for these models (0.2 to 1.5 mm) BUT you should always target to stay away from the MIN of MAX of this range.

History has shown that item (B) above is the most common as the wire is often damaged at a flex point where zip-ties have been applied at factory (often too tight). Water ingestion near a damaged wire can amplify this type of insulator damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT (2005-2009) Rear Wheel iABS sensor wiring location.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	144281  
Patric likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; May 11th, 2018 at 7:36 pm.
post #7 of 7 Old May 12th, 2018, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
On these K1200LT models (2002-2009 in USA), the REAR wheel ABS sensor serves two (2) functions:
1) it gather data / pulses for the ABS modulator to prevent wheel locking during braking (compared with front ABS wheel sensor in real-time)

2) the same pulse data above is also use to compute data to send to speedometer.

Hence, all of the cases BELOW can cause the symptoms you are seeing:
(A) if the sensor is damaged,

(B) if the sensor wiring is damaged (from sensor to connector)

(C) if the sensor wiring is unplugged or loose at connector

(D) if these sensor gap clearance is not within specs. Specs are very wide for these models (0.2 to 1.5 mm) BUT you should always target to stay away from the MIN of MAX of this range.

History has shown that item (B) above is the most common as the wire is often damaged at a flex point where zip-ties have been applied at factory (often too tight). Water ingestion near a damaged wire can amplify this type of insulator damage.
Thank you Sailor for your help. First I am not a mechanic so I will pass this along to my mechanic. I have looked at the wiring and zip tie connections and everything looks OK, So, my next step is to have my mechanic take off rear wheel and look at sensor area and closer look at the wiring. The moisture idea caused by a damaged wire is my first thought because everything was working fine when we stopped and after waiting out the thunderstorm (about 1 hour or less) is when my problems started. The brakes seem to be working great and I can run mph by looking at my GPS which I usually did knowing how dependable the mph is on any motorcycle. Helpful people like you make it a pleasure riding a BMW. I have been on BMWs since 2000. My old user name was Notahog, but my computer crashed and I had forgotten my passwork so I had to start over again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in