New (to me) '99 K1200LTI - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By davebullock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 10th, 2018, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage
New (to me) '99 K1200LTI

Greetings all,

I just picked up my bike this morning, for what I believe was a smoking deal. 46k on the clock and in incredible shape for 19 year old bike.

I was curious if there were any switched power points for driving lights. The PO wired them directly to the battery with a relay, but there is an LED on the switch that stays on all the time with it wired this way. I don;t like anything draining a battery if I can help it and would like to add them to a switched circuit.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the knowledge on this forum, as I researched heavily here before buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 10th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Re: New (to me) '99 K1200LTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five69 View Post
Greetings all,

I just picked up my bike this morning, for what I believe was a smoking deal. 46k on the clock and in incredible shape for 19 year old bike.

I was curious if there were any switched power points for driving lights. The PO wired them directly to the battery with a relay, but there is an LED on the switch that stays on all the time with it wired this way. I don;t like anything draining a battery if I can help it and would like to add them to a switched circuit.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the knowledge on this forum, as I researched heavily here before buying.
======================================
Hey Five69, welcome from another '99LT owner~

I picked mine up just six days ago, and am *loving* this bike! Here in Colorado, there are miles and miles of open roads and gorgeous scenery to explore and see! With hundreds of destinations to visit, I'm sure I'll be out of the house a lot!

You're going to find a ton of helpful folks here (I lust had a reversing, side-stand issue that was resolved quickly), and am looking forward to gleaning thoughts, tips and tricks that will save me a painful crawl through the steep "learning curve" I would have had to go through if not for the good people here!

Regarding your driving light question, mine has lights mounted near the upper wind deflectors close to the mirrors. The wires go to a switch on the side of the stingray, inside the fairing, and direct to the battery. Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but it works fine!
post #3 of 7 Old May 10th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Welcome to the forum Five69. Under the rear seat is the plug for the heated seat. That is a common switched source for a relay. A meter will tell you what wire is hot key on. It looks like Green with a brown stripe and is in the bottom position on my bike.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Ė Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Ė Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 12:24 am

No factory switched power take off points for direct hook up, several to splice into to power a relay for a fuse panel. Do some searching here and find how to install your own fuse panel via a relay and a trigger wire when the bike powers up. Take your needs off that.
Look up other new bike owners and the list of stuff you need to address as your bike is 20 years old. Start with replacing the rubber brake lines with spigler. Also replace the ignition wires with something from beemerboneyard or euromotoelectric.
All the folks who have the Lt (light truck in my way of thinking) love them so enjoy. Come here for any info you need as there are plenty of folks with the answers and there is nothing new under the sun as they say. Summer is here enjoy.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 7:17 am

The advice you'll get here is amazing. Find a Fuzeblock and install it, grabbing switched power from the front or rear heated seat connection. Then it's easy to add whatever toys you'll need, or don't need.

Use the search function here-I don't think the engineers who designed these bikes know them as well as the crew here. Enjoy the ride.
Voyager likes this.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #6 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 10:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebullock View Post
The advice you'll get here is amazing. Find a Fuzeblock and install it, grabbing switched power from the front or rear heated seat connection. Then it's easy to add whatever toys you'll need, or don't need.

Use the search function here-I don't think the engineers who designed these bikes know them as well as the crew here. Enjoy the ride.
+1 on the Fuzeblock. Mine has worked well for 10 years and makes adding accessories much easier without having to continually hack into the factory harness.

I think the engineers who designed them know them really well, but we have no access to the design engineers. We do have access to this forum.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 7 Old May 11th, 2018, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
No factory switched power take off points for direct hook up, several to splice into to power a relay for a fuse panel. Do some searching here and find how to install your own fuse panel via a relay and a trigger wire when the bike powers up. Take your needs off that.
Look up other new bike owners and the list of stuff you need to address as your bike is 20 years old. Start with replacing the rubber brake lines with spigler. Also replace the ignition wires with something from beemerboneyard or euromotoelectric.
All the folks who have the Lt (light truck in my way of thinking) love them so enjoy. Come here for any info you need as there are plenty of folks with the answers and there is nothing new under the sun as they say. Summer is here enjoy.
The bike already has speiglers, a skid plate, and tethered mirrors. I'll check the ignition wires, thanks for the suggestion. I ordered what I need for a diy relay triggered fuse block and a new set of tires today

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in