Couple of silly (maybe) questions. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 7:27 am Thread Starter

Couple of silly (maybe) questions.

I did the first oil change on '03 LT yesterday. Thanks to Mikes clear directions, it was a snap.

However after I had added the fresh oil, I noticed a small flat washer on the ground under the bike, obviously from one of the bolts that holds the filter cover on. No sign of leaking when I ran the engine for about ten minutes or so.

So my questions. Can I take out one of those three bolts and put the washer back on with a reasonable expectation of not draining the new oil out.

Or can I just leave the washer off until the next oil change. (Checking the torque on bolt from time to time.)

I know, third option is to drain the oil and put the washer back on, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 7:47 am
Gold Supporter

There should be no problem removing just one bolt then replacing it as long as the others stay tightened at the proper torque setting.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 7:56 am

I recommend you take out the bolt that got screwed outta the washer and reinstall it with the washer. But before you torque it down, back the other two bolts out just a little bit, then re-torque all of them down. You may loose a leetle bit of oil, but that's easily remedied.

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I recommend you take out the bolt that got screwed outta the washer and reinstall it with the washer. But before you torque it down, back the other two bolts out just a little bit, then re-torque all of them down. You may loose a leetle bit of oil, but that's easily remedied.
Thanks. That was my first plan, but I wasn't sure if a leak started, that just retorquing would stop it. I'll take care if it tomorrow. Hadn't planned to ride for a couple/three days anyway.

Thanks all.
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 8:19 am

It should not be a problem with just taking out the one bolt. When I change my oil I usually take out two bolts first, then loosen the last bolt to help to keep the oil off of the hands.

With those that use to change their oil in their cages transmission pan, this was the way to do it.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
I did the first oil change on '03 LT yesterday. Thanks to Mikes clear directions, it was a snap.

However after I had added the fresh oil, I noticed a small flat washer on the ground under the bike, obviously from one of the bolts that holds the filter cover on. No sign of leaking when I ran the engine for about ten minutes or so.

So my questions. Can I take out one of those three bolts and put the washer back on with a reasonable expectation of not draining the new oil out.

Or can I just leave the washer off until the next oil change. (Checking the torque on bolt from time to time.)

I know, third option is to drain the oil and put the washer back on, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.
The bolts are a BLIND tapped hole meaning they don't go into the crankcase. As Joe suggested, install washer under the naked bolt, snug and just loosten the other two so you can retorque properly.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Please be careful torquing down those three little bolts that hold the oil filter cover in place. They tend to wring off under too much torque. You can get stronger bolts from Dave Shealey (dshealey on the board).

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 6:35 am

How important are these washers? My '03 has never had them. Unless they were removed by my dealer (good dealer. very reliable and competent.) during the first oil change, they were never there to my knowledge. I've done many oil changes myself since then and not had a problem.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 8:27 am
kip

no washers

mines never had any washers on it to start with.....

hmmmmmm......

i dont think the lack of washers has slowed her down any or caused any issues

at the relatively low torque im not seeing it as any real issue...

no telling how much more speed im getting with all that reduced weight

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
mines never had any washers on it to start with.....

hmmmmmm......

i dont think the lack of washers has slowed her down any or caused any issues

at the relatively low torque im not seeing it as any real issue...

no telling how much more speed im getting with all that reduced weight
The stock screws have permanently attached washers on them, at least all that I saw. The higher grade ones I sell are not available with washers attached, so I had to find the right size ones to furnish loose, and include one extra with every set in case you loose one. Standard 6MM washers are 12MM OD and will not sit down in the recess in the filter cover. I furnish 11MM ones.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 8:40 am

My '05 has seperate "washers". The "purpose" of the washers as I understand it, is to spread the load across a larger surface area and help keep the bolts snug by isolating vibration. Screws with broad heads are that way for similar reasons.

I think it's a "good" thing to have the washers since the oil filter cover is aluminum.

Just my $1.00/50

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 12 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
Please be careful torquing down those three little bolts that hold the oil filter cover in place. They tend to wring off under too much torque. You can get stronger bolts from Dave Shealey (dshealey on the board).
I've finally found a use for that Proto "inch/pound" torque wrench I've had all these years and never used.

I hope I never get to use the big 1/2 inch drive one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in