Tech specs - Brake Lines - 2007 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 7th, 2018, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Tech specs - Brake Lines - 2007

Hi, guys! New member, just joined, this is my first post. Kinda bold using my first post to start a thread, right?

So here's the deal. I'm buying a 2007 (sight unseen) from a guy 1500 miles away. (My first LT and my first K bike.) Doing a fly n ride. It's only got 13,000 miles but nevertheless the brake lines are still 11 years old which is way beyond the expected service life for rubber brake lines. So I'm inclined to get those lines replaced before I hop in the saddle and flog that beast for 1500 miles.

But wait a minute. Did a search of the forum and found several posts hinting, pointing, suggesting, that 2007 and later LT's have braided steel lines fitted at the factory. Which, if true, would mean I'm fretting over a non-existent problem. Sure would be nice to get this issue nailed down.

Can anybody tell me for sure? Did the 2007 LT come from the factory with steel lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 7th, 2018, 10:02 pm

Re: Tech specs - Brake Lines - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Hi, guys! New member, just joined, this is my first post. Kinda bold using my first post to start a thread, right?

So here's the deal. I'm buying a 2007 (sight unseen) from a guy 1500 miles away. (My first LT and my first K bike.) Doing a fly n ride. It's only got 13,000 miles but nevertheless the brake lines are still 11 years old which is way beyond the expected service life for rubber brake lines. So I'm inclined to get those lines replaced before I hop in the saddle and flog that beast for 1500 miles.

But wait a minute. Did a search of the forum and found several posts hinting, pointing, suggesting, that 2007 and later LT's have braided steel lines fitted at the factory. Which, if true, would mean I'm fretting over a non-existent problem. Sure would be nice to get this issue nailed down.

Can anybody tell me for sure? Did the 2007 LT come from the factory with steel lines?
Welcome to the forum Drone. When BMW decided they had an issue with aging brake lines, the LT was already in end of line mode so they didn't add any of the new stuff like a better ABS unit or upgrade the type of brake lines so you have the original rubber NON-braided lines. It is a toss up if the lines on this 07 are ready to go but they are in better shape than the 99-06. My inclination as long as everything is working, I would take it as is and ride it home. The Spiegler line kit is small enough to order and carry with you but you may introduce other issues with remaining air bubbles or kicking up sediment that could cause you ABS trouble along the way a long way from home and the I-ABS system can fail and leave only residual braking on one or both brake circuits. You are right to be replacing them because an 07 is nearing the end of the useful life of those brake lines but they may not be really dangerous yet. If you don't ride home like you stole it hitting the brakes really hard when you don't need to, I would think you would be pretty safe at this point but give them a good external inspection looking for any leaks or damage. They deteriorate from the inside out so a visual inspection only goes as far as they are not already leaking and have no scrapes or external damage.

Disclaimer, I am not telling you to ride home with them, I am only telling you what I might do after being on this forum for the last 3 years and reading everyone's stories of brake line failures on the different years. It should be at the top of your list should you ride home first though.

If you haven't watched them already, I would go through Kirk's videos a few times so you know what is involved in the line replacement and I-ABS flush.

The Spiegler line replacement is on an earlier ABS-II system but the procedure is very much the same.

https://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/se...es-replacement

The I-ABS bleed video shows a very useful funnel available from Beamer Boneyard. You may want to get one of those as well. If this video shows the dual reservoir under the rear seat, I believe the 05 and newer have the reservoir moved to on top of the ABS modulator so they are small and have sensors in them so not being topped off can cause some errors to pop up but the system will still work properly.

https://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/se...egrated-brakes

Good luck on whatever you decide

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old May 7th, 2018, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the quick response, Gordon. Maybe not in all things, but when it comes to brakes I'm a conservative SOB. Even if the hoses and fittings look good, I'm not inclined to ride it with the rubber hoses. Especially since I know it's the first thing I'm gonna fix anyway!

There's a BMW dealer near the seller that I'm sure would be happy to do the job for a grand or so. At least I'd get a complete flush and bleed before my trip!

The other option is to take it to a buddy's garage (I know like three different guys who live near the seller) and teach myself how to remove all the Tupperware for the first time. Truth is, I'm way more leery of the Tupperware part of the job than the brakes part of the job. I've flushed BMW ABS systems before, and I've installed brake lines before, but watching one of Kirk's videos showing the removal of the plastic -- THAT makes me shudder.

post #4 of 10 Old May 8th, 2018, 7:28 am

Garage

I was in the same situation about 4 months ago. Purchased a bike 1300 miles away. A 2004 LT with 6500 miles. Original everything including plastic fuel disconnects and brake lines. Taking off Tupperware might look daunting, but it wasn't a big deal. I took it all off and changed all the fluids I could, and made the ride. I spent many nights before the ride worrying, but I figured I'd deal with an issues if they came up. The ride went great and of course I changed out the disconnects and brake lines when I got back. Also did the fuel filter and internal fuel lines. Tupperware is a snap now. Once you do it, you will wonder why you worried.

George

2004 K1200LT - Gray Ghost
post #5 of 10 Old May 8th, 2018, 3:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just so you know the Speigler kit is about 250 and the dealer will likely charge you an hourly fee of 90-120. The job will take at least four hours so your guess at a grand is about right. Nothing like peace off mind for the ride home. Enjoy the LT. My 05 got her new lines in 2014 (she was delivered new in 2004).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old May 8th, 2018, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Considering that I'll be burning $80/night hunkered down in a hotel while working on the bike brakes, and also burning another $65/night boarding fees for my two dogs back home, I decided to go the dealer route. Contacted them today--they ordered the Spiegler kit and booked me into their service calendar for the day after I arrive (flying west to east so I'll be arriving late in the day.) They did say 4 hours but and includes flushing the ABS and also the clutch system so that seemed like a good deal to me and will make the whole fly n ride less stressful.

Didn't know there were plastic disconnects on the bike, and haven't done enough research to find out that the fuel pump and hoses in the tank need replacing. I think maybe I should just leave my credit card number on file at Beemer Boneyard as I'm gonna be ordering a bunch of stuff by golly you betcha!

Also, just starting to read some of the threads here and I've already decided to hit up Darius for some flip-ups and Power Grid for the beefed-up shifter linkage (I have size 14 boots and clumsy feet). Maybe I should stop reading the farkle threads?
post #7 of 10 Old May 8th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Considering that I'll be burning $80/night hunkered down in a hotel while working on the bike brakes, and also burning another $65/night boarding fees for my two dogs back home, I decided to go the dealer route. Contacted them today--they ordered the Spiegler kit and booked me into their service calendar for the day after I arrive (flying west to east so I'll be arriving late in the day.) They did say 4 hours but and includes flushing the ABS and also the clutch system so that seemed like a good deal to me and will make the whole fly n ride less stressful.

Didn't know there were plastic disconnects on the bike, and haven't done enough research to find out that the fuel pump and hoses in the tank need replacing. I think maybe I should just leave my credit card number on file at Beemer Boneyard as I'm gonna be ordering a bunch of stuff by golly you betcha!

Also, just starting to read some of the threads here and I've already decided to hit up Darius for some flip-ups and Power Grid for the beefed-up shifter linkage (I have size 14 boots and clumsy feet). Maybe I should stop reading the farkle threads?
Get it home and ride it for a month or so, then decide what is a nice to have, a want, a need and a just gotta have tomorrow before you go ape Sh1t on it. I am close to doubling my investment in 5 years between fixing what ain't broke yet and upgrades. Good thing I want to keep it as I will never get my money back on it but it should last forever when I am done.
mr1150gs likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 10 Old May 9th, 2018, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Get it home and ride it for a month or so, then decide what is a nice to have, a want, a need and a just gotta have tomorrow before you go ape Sh1t on it. I am close to doubling my investment in 5 years between fixing what ain't broke yet and upgrades. Good thing I want to keep it as I will never get my money back on it but it should last forever when I am done.
Good advice. Thanks! Good to know that I'm not the only crazy out-of-control farkler on the forum.
post #9 of 10 Old May 9th, 2018, 8:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
You were doing so we'll until the end of that last sentence.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 10 Old May 9th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You were doing so we'll until the end of that last sentence.
Well, at least I tried ROFL

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in