New (to me) 1999 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Cruisin' Colorado

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 6th, 2018, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

New (to me) 1999 K1200LT

Hi All,
Just purchased a (new to me) 1999LT and took it out for the first ride after the test run yesterday at the dealership.

Yesterday was a good biking day here in the mountains of Colorado; our town is a re-fuel stopping point for various clubs and this LT had some heads turning and thumbs up gestures. It's in great shape, looks like it's been garaged for most, if not all, its life. It has a few very small blemishes (no deep scratches), no fading of black plastic, and is in good condition mechanically (speakers buzz some at higher volume). Got lucky at the price they asked ($3K).

The big issue is reverse. I saw the salesperson use the gear, but I'm not having any luck going backwards. I read the posts on the reverese issue, but the issue is the failure as soon as I got the bike home. Could it be a loose wire after I flipped up the seat?

The Process:
I start the bike, go neutral, lower gear changer to "R", press starter button; no joy.

Any help is appreciated, good to be here, and see you on the road!

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIght Side.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	143953  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 6th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Re: New (to me) 1999 K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin' Colorado View Post
Hi All,
Just purchased a (new to me) 1999LT and took it out for the first ride after the test run yesterday at the dealership.

Yesterday was a good biking day here in the mountains of Colorado; our town is a re-fuel stopping point for various clubs and this LT had some heads turning and thumbs up gestures. It's in great shape, looks like it's been garaged for most, if not all, its life. It has a few very small blemishes (no deep scratches), no fading of black plastic, and is in good condition mechanically (speakers buzz some at higher volume). Got lucky at the price they asked ($3K).

The big issue is reverse. I saw the salesperson use the gear, but I'm not having any luck going backwards. I read the posts on the reverese issue, but the issue is the failure as soon as I got the bike home. Could it be a loose wire after I flipped up the seat?

The Process:
I start the bike, go neutral, lower gear changer to "R", press starter button; no joy.

Craig
Welcome to the forum Craig. You have the procedure correct for activating reverse. Remote troubleshooting reverse if you already have the procedure correct is somewhat difficult. There is the possibility of an issue with the switches located under the reverse knob of which there are 2 and they are easy to damage if removed improperly or possibly the reverse controller is having an issue or just a bad connection somewhere. I believe there is a power relay on the reverse controller that also might be suspect. Your best buddy besides this forum would be a Clymer manual as it has pretty good schematics for circuit tracing.

When you press the starter button in neutral with the revers engaged, does the engine RPM increase at all or is there no difference at all?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old May 7th, 2018, 7:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hi All,

The Process:

Craig
Are both brakes released? If memory serves, the EHCS will not activate if either brake is applied. It is for use on level ground only.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old May 7th, 2018, 9:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Welcome to the forum Craig. You have the procedure correct for activating reverse. Remote troubleshooting reverse if you already have the procedure correct is somewhat difficult. There is the possibility of an issue with the switches located under the reverse knob of which there are 2 and they are easy to damage if removed improperly or possibly the reverse controller is having an issue or just a bad connection somewhere. I believe there is a power relay on the reverse controller that also might be suspect. Your best buddy besides this forum would be a Clymer manual as it has pretty good schematics for circuit tracing.

When you press the starter button in neutral with the revers engaged, does the engine RPM increase at all or is there no difference at all?
Thanks for the help!
Lever is firmly engaged, the "R" is lit, but no RPM increase.
post #5 of 15 Old May 7th, 2018, 11:31 am

Quote:
Thanks for the help!
Lever is firmly engaged, the "R" is lit, but no RPM increase.
OK, by chance do you have the side stand down? If you saw it work at the dealer, then it should at least make an attempt to move the bike unless you have done some work on it that we don't yet know about.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 15 Old May 7th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Was going to ask if the side stand was down too). I make that mistake to frequently).
post #7 of 15 Old May 7th, 2018, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Side stand...HA!..... You may have resolved my issue (I'll try again when I get home)! Noob here! - THANKS Pstrman!
post #8 of 15 Old May 7th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Side stand...HA!..... You may have resolved my issue (I'll try again when I get home)! Noob here! - THANKS Pstrman!
I did a little panic in a public car park one day. Couldn't start the bike for trying then my mate said put your side stand up you dill.
post #9 of 15 Old May 8th, 2018, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
OK, by chance do you have the side stand down? If you saw it work at the dealer, then it should at least make an attempt to move the bike unless you have done some work on it that we don't yet know about.
Thank you bmwcoolk1200, that was indeed the problem!
radar41, ibbones and bmwcoolk1200 like this.
post #10 of 15 Old May 8th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Garage

These guys here are great, aren't they! I haven't tried my reverse yet. I guess I should see if it works!

George

2004 K1200LT - Gray Ghost
post #11 of 15 Old May 9th, 2018, 1:30 am

That stand will get you a few times.. along with other safety things)
post #12 of 15 Old May 10th, 2018, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
These guys here are great, aren't they! I haven't tried my reverse yet. I guess I should see if it works!
(just retract your side stand!)
post #13 of 15 Old May 10th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Garage
Smile Re: New (to me) 1999 K1200LT

Crusin',

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you got your issue solved.

IF you need further answers and want some local help, I'm up in Longmont.

radar

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #14 of 15 Old May 10th, 2018, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar41 View Post
Crusin',

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you got your issue solved.

IF you need further answers and want some local help, I'm up in Longmont.

radar
Thanks Radar, I appreciate that!
post #15 of 15 Old May 11th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Garage

Welcome aboard!

My Gotcha... was leaving the lever in "R" after backing into a spot at rally.

Must have pushed the start button 20 times and about to really start troubleshooting before the guy next to me said - "Is that lever suppose to point towards R".

Kind of thing you only do once..

Just another heads up... If when pushing button it backs up, goes a few feet, stops, button, few feet, stops, etc.... Remove the sensor on the side of the tranny and wipe it off.. Been there.

Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in