Need more light! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Need more light!

OK guys...my girlfriend got me the PIAA light kit with the 1100 model lights for Christmas. I'm not sure if I really want those lights because I am interested in more low beam lighting. Anyone have some suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 3:40 pm

If you don't have an HID installed, that's your first move. Here's the vendor that I prefer for aftermarket kits. The year of your LT would determine which kit you order. If it's a pre-'05 LT, you'd want this kit. Just stick with the 5000K color temp. Any higher and it gets too blue, IMO.

That HID and the PIAAs will be an excellent start to more visibility for you, and oncoming cagers.
post #3 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Lightbulb

Low beam HID will do that for you. http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.p...products_id=69 If your bike is 99-04 you'll want the H7 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit. At $99.00 it is even cheaper than when I bought mine last October
Then mount the PIAAs under the cowl, aimed low, and turned ON all the time to provide triangulation. You may want to get the mounting kit from Raffy if you haven't already purchased one.
You will enjoy being able to see at night, and having cars move out of you way will be an additional treat...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
If you don't have an HID installed, that's your first move. Here's the vendor that I prefer for aftermarket kits. The year of your LT would determine which kit you order. If it's a pre-'05 LT, you'd want this kit. Just stick with the 5000K color temp. Any higher and it gets too blue, IMO.

That HID and the PIAAs will be an excellent start to more visibility for you, and oncoming cagers.
Jeez, do you ever move away from the keyboard???
Beat my by 3 minutes this time...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 3:46 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerickm
OK guys...my girlfriend got me the PIAA light kit with the 1100 model lights for Christmas. Anyone have some suggestions?
Yes!!! Keep her!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #6 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Jeez, do you ever move away from the keyboard???
Beat my by 3 minutes this time...!
Don't worry buddy. You're plenty fast enough for an LT rider. Your speed will improve immensely once you buy that GT you keep drolling over.
post #7 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Don't worry buddy. You're plenty fast enough for an LT rider. Your speed will improve immensely once you buy that GT you keep drolling over.
Do you really think that it will make type faster???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #8 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:11 pm

I have to agree with the HID option. Have it on my bike, and it lights up the night!

I also have a set of 1100 lamps installed under the cowling. I have been told by riding buddies that they can certainly see me, but they cannot see my front turn signals due to all of the light. I may relocate to the forks to resolve this, or may just get another set for the forks and not worry about it.

Quote:
OK guys...my girlfriend got me the PIAA light kit with the 1100 model lights for Christmas. I'm not sure if I really want those lights because I am interested in more low beam lighting. Anyone have some suggestions?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:40 pm

I have the BMR under mirror brackets from Motogrea44you

I've got 1100 pia's wired and aimed as low beams - and they light up the city road fine, and get me seen ... I wish the light were more focused (less dispersed). In any case, they work, if you get them aimed well.

I avoided getting HIDs in the city for no other reason than not wanting to distract oncoming traffic... but will probably correct that decision, perhaps move the 1100's to under the cowling and get something with a better beam for under the mirrors / low beam.

In the city, I believe that high/wide light pair on the mirrors (always on) really helps others see me.

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

post #10 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Quote:
While I agree with the HID replacement for the LOW beam should be your first consideration for adding more lumens to your LT I would NOT recommend getting a 5000K lamp. I recommend a 4100K lamp.

I have a 4100K low and a Chinese 5000K high beam. I was attracted by the low price. My low beam vendor was HID-Online and the quality of the equipment, overall effectiveness of the light output, the ease of install make that my choice. The technical advantage of the 4100K lamp is worth the extra money. The reason the 5000k lamp is cheaper is because it is easier to produce.. I thought it would not make any difference but it does..

JM2CW

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #11 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 9:31 pm

The PIAA's will give lots of good light. You won't be sorry you added them and you'll please the lady who gave them to you... Mine came with a relay so I turn them on/off as needed. They do a good job of increasing your "conspicuosity" ... by helping create the "triangle" of lights. Next you can add Motolights to further light the road... and increase the "triangle of light".

Of course, leading the way with the "HID" will help. And try to get as close to "white" light on the hid... 4500 seems to be the "target" capsule..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 22 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:16 pm
RMW

Ditto Jack on the HIDs. Did the same thing.

I have the PIAA's, nothing wrong with them other than, as with all bulbs, they do tend to burn out and are almost $50 each to replace. Done that twice in 60K miles.

If I had it to do over I would go with caliper mount Moto-Lights. Just as bright IMHO + Free bulbs for life and if you do get stuck buying one they are only about $5-$7 to replace. (no affiliations)

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #13 of 22 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 8:47 am

Group buy under Bike Talk above on HID.
HID to see -- good
PIAA to be seen -- good
HID and PIAA -- BEST
post #14 of 22 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
While I agree with the HID replacement for the LOW beam should be your first consideration for adding more lumens to your LT I would NOT recommend getting a 5000K lamp. I recommend a 4100K lamp.

I have a 4100K low and a Chinese 5000K high beam. I was attracted by the low price. My low beam vendor was HID-Online and the quality of the equipment, overall effectiveness of the light output, the ease of install make that my choice. The technical advantage of the 4100K lamp is worth the extra money. The reason the 5000k lamp is cheaper is because it is easier to produce.. I thought it would not make any difference but it does..

JM2CW
I have stock 4100K in my BMW 740iL, and had 4100K on my LT. I wanted to upgrade my BMW 525i, so searched for 4100K again, but they are much harder to find. I reluctantly bought 5000K, and so my surprise they are not bad at all. Only slightly bluer than the 4100's. A friend has 6000K in his car, but they are a LOT bluer! To my eyes, 4100 is great,5000 is very good, anything bluer is not.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 22 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
To my eyes, 4100 is great,5000 is very good, anything bluer is not.
Hey, what's 900 lumen's twixt friends?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 22 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Actually it is not lumens.. It is the wavelength of the light. I'm pretty sure they are about the same lumens.

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #17 of 22 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I have stock 4100K in my BMW 740iL, and had 4100K on my LT. I wanted to upgrade my BMW 525i, so searched for 4100K again, but they are much harder to find. I reluctantly bought 5000K, and so my surprise they are not bad at all. Only slightly bluer than the 4100's. A friend has 6000K in his car, but they are a LOT bluer! To my eyes, 4100 is great,5000 is very good, anything bluer is not.
With both on at the same time there is a noticeable difference. The 4100K appears very white and strong and the 5000K is light blue. You can see the beam pattern very pronounced. It does not mix.

I guess the cost factor is driving the 4100K out of the market. I don't understand the technicalities..

2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #18 of 22 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 12:14 am
Cat Herder

Garage
PIAA's

Put the PIAA lights on.. You will be glad you did. Theres no substitute for a Sh*t load of light!!!

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #19 of 22 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 4:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
It is not Lumens Grif. Lumens is a measure of light output. Kelvin Temperature is a measure of color. For 35 watt automotive HID lights, when the Kelvin Temperature goes up, Lumens output goes down. In this case, bigger is NOT better.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #20 of 22 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 5:44 am

Now if price is no option.....here's what you want. I did a 4100K HID low beam and the Hella, HID micro DE's for aux. I mounted them under the tip over bumpers. Talk about bright. Talk about an excellent triangle of light and visibility, nothing better. I do very little riding after dark, but when I have they make it seem like high noon on a sunny day. They are on all the time when I ride. 49,000 lit miles in the past 20 months and still going strong. Got them from Raffy's accessory site, roughly $650.00 but IMHO, worth every single penny I paid for them! Of course if you're into dropping the beast once a week you might want to find another mounting location.

Dick
post #21 of 22 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 8:56 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW
I have the PIAA's, nothing wrong with them other than, as with all bulbs, they do tend to burn out and are almost $50 each to replace.
Ron, if you do a quick search for HOME DEPOT on this board you will find that replacement bulps for PIAA can be bought there for 4 bucks a piece.

Check this link for details:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=home+depot

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #22 of 22 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:29 am

Question HID Bulb Don't Fit the Hole?

Early in the year I purchased a 4300K M/C conversion kit (MC-4K) from AOL Industries/Xenon Depot. I am attempting to install the kit and run into a snag. I removed the H-7 bulb and attempted to install the HID and the bulb base falls through the existing hole? Did they give me the incorrect bulb or am I missing something? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in