Synthetic Fluids ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By LarryJa
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By LarryJa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Synthetic Fluids ?

Okay, this NOT an oil thread, but here goes : my bike is a '99 with only 41k. At 30k, and 4 years ago, it was serviced by BMW dealer, all fluids changed. Since then I have done my own wrenching. The bike shop put synthetic trans fluid and Final drive gear oil -- both synthetic. I have not changed them. Bike runs fine - no leaks anywhere. The esteemed weep holes have NOT been drilled. The Clymer manual shows for these fluids to be R&R at 24,000 miles or every two years. I've been 4 yrs but only 11k; should these fluids be changed ? And keep synthetic ? Thanks in advance for the superior experience and mucho years of maintenance ! FYI, I checked the Illinois club videos & did not find any answers. Heck, he mixes diff types of auto oil in his bike too. I guess I'm wondering since my bike is a first year model, what's best ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:50 pm

I'm considering changing to traditional gear lube in the trans, because the longer molecules of synthetics will find leak paths easier. A trans input seal leak is disastrous to our "difficult to change" clutch plate.
ValkyrieRider likes this.

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
post #3 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2018, 3:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Synthetic Fluids ?

Leave the transmission alone but change the rear drive and inspect the magnet. This is the best way to catch early a rear dive failure. Look for shiny stuff, grey fuzz is OK. Synthetic is OK as well 108,000 and no leaks on mine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2018, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Cool Re: Synthetic Fluids ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Leave the transmission alone but change the rear drive and inspect the magnet. This is the best way to catch early a rear dive failure. Look for shiny stuff, grey fuzz is OK. Synthetic is OK as well 108,000 and no leaks on mine.
Thanks John, I just changed the FD; it was clean - a little fuzz, nothing shiny. BTW, I'm originally from B'ham; I see you're in Hazel Green. I have a good friend just west of I-65 in Elkmont. He helps run the North Alabama Vintage Motorcycle Club. They're mainly into the older British stuff. My dad was also involved with Barbers Motorsports in B'ham, on Southside, before he built the big Museum & racetrack. Wow, what a place !! Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2018, 8:40 pm

I had already changed the trans & FD lubes as part of my initial maintenance on this bike. I used Lucas synthetic in each.
I was pleased to see little metallic residue on the FD drain. Subsequently, Saddleman adviced to do a touch temp check the FD casing, after a "good" ride. If it's too warm to touch, very bad. If just warm-hot, it's probably good for now. Mine just gets pretty warm, but not so that I can't keep my hand on it for a bit. So, so far-so good.
But, I am still thinking about using a traditional gear lube in the trans, just in the trans, in the future. So far, there, are no signs of any lube oozing out under the joint with the engine. PO did tell me the clutch was changed out about 20k miles ago, but I have no receipts. So, I do not know those circumstances or parts used.
I'm just being cautious.

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in