• 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Mark65
  • 5 Post By fpmlt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:11 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Time to Say Goodbye

After nearly three years of enjoyment, and spending countless hours replacing parts, changing fluids, and bringing the bike up-to-date on maintenance, as much as I regret to say, I will need to sell it. 1999 K1200LT with 32K miles on it. Please send me a private message if you are interested or know someone that is before I place it online. I have documented the entire maintenance process here, and the bike rides like never before. Not even sure if I can post this here. Was not able to find a Classifieds section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:42 am

Re: Time to Say Goodbye

Go to FORUMS > COMMUNITY > CLASSIFIEDS . Good luck ALL4BMW, my '99 has been for sale since last November, no bites yet. These are awesome riding, high maintenance, low resale value bikes. The Beemer bike shops low balled me at $2k on trade !!
post #3 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:08 pm

I always hate to see folks moving on. A small reality slap though the bikes (mentioned here) are older and not in high demand. So don't expect a lot of money. I'd be happy with anything over 3K retail price.
ALL4BMW likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 2:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL4BMW View Post
After nearly three years of enjoyment, and spending countless hours replacing parts, changing fluids, and bringing the bike up-to-date on maintenance, as much as I regret to say, I will need to sell it. 1999 K1200LT with 32K miles on it. Please send me a private message if you are interested or know someone that is before I place it online. I have documented the entire maintenance process here, and the bike rides like never before. Not even sure if I can post this here. Was not able to find a Classifieds section.
Go to "Tools" at top of page. Classifieds are there.
ALL4BMW likes this.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #5 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 2:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
Go to FORUMS > COMMUNITY > CLASSIFIEDS . Good luck ALL4BMW, my '99 has been for sale since last November, no bites yet. These are awesome riding, high maintenance, low resale value bikes. The Beemer bike shops low balled me at $2k on trade !!
I am not sure that is a low ball offer. I would not pay $2,000 for a 19 year old LT. One reason I keep riding my 07 is that it's worth next to nothing to trade in or sell.
katnapinn and Mark65 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 4:04 pm

Cool Re: Time to Say Goodbye

Voyager, thanks for your input --- I guess that as of today, I would not pay what I'm asking either, lol ! I think the dealer low-balled me because he says he has to "go thru" the bike. Even though it's same local shop that maintained it since 2005. So I will hijack this thread to talk about bike values, in the hope of disclosing more info to ALL4BMW (Jerry) -

On our forum, in the classifieds are the following K1200LT's for sale :
1. '02 with 43k miles, farkled out, $4500 asking - SOLD it for $4K last week
2. '01 with 49k miles, fair cond, says $1000, maybe a misprint; posted last month
3. '03 with 28k miles, trailer, asking $10,500 !!! posted in december '17
4. '99 with 40k miles, mine, asking $3750 - will trade for almost anything !
5. '05 asking $6k -- obviously newer bikes bring more, like yours

There are 13 K bikes listed on CycleTrader in the state of Texas from $4 to $6500. Most of these are
at dealers. Low and high mileage. My dad would say about bikes and cars :
"Beauty is n the eye of the beholder"
"A vehicle is only worth what someone pays for it "

I am currently looking at another older Valkyrie, low miles, high price. Because that is what I like, and can currently afford. If I had endless wealth, I would be riding a new K1600 Bagger. To each his own; good luck to ALA4BMW
ALL4BMW likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 4:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yes, they are worth what you can sell them for. After doing a clutch replacement and other repairs, LTs are not worth much to me anymore!
milwbeemer likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; May 2nd, 2018 at 5:45 pm.
post #8 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm

I looked for my new to me LT for over 10 months. I looked at Craigslist and Cycle Trader every day and all over the country. I looked at HD, Honda and BMW to maintain a perspective. The one thing that stuck out to me is that the big bikes are not selling well. Add to that a bike that hasn't even been made in several years and the price just keeps dropping. The stories that abound about how much maintenance is required for this bike don't help either. I had a 2016 GTLE with $4000. worth of extras and less than 3000 miles I still couldn't sell it for book. I'm not sure I could even get what I paid for this one and I just picked it up in March. I just try to figure that those dollars are how much fun I had. Doesn't make me feel any better but its something to hang my hat on. Good luck.
Voyager, ALL4BMW and Mark65 like this.
post #9 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 5:42 pm

[QUOTE=HOGnDAS;1854866]....." I just try to figure that those dollars are how much fun I had...."

That's a fantastic perspective that I will try and remember. Actually, whenever I want to sell mine, I just go for a nice long ride, and it reminds me why I bought it in the first place. Also, having rented a few bikes on out of state trips, that "money spent for fun" philosophy applies there too ! Watch the idiots and God Bless
Voyager and Mark65 like this.
post #10 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 5:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGnDAS View Post
I looked for my new to me LT for over 10 months. I looked at Craigslist and Cycle Trader every day and all over the country. I looked at HD, Honda and BMW to maintain a perspective. The one thing that stuck out to me is that the big bikes are not selling well. Add to that a bike that hasn't even been made in several years and the price just keeps dropping. The stories that abound about how much maintenance is required for this bike don't help either. I had a 2016 GTLE with $4000. worth of extras and less than 3000 miles I still couldn't sell it for book. I'm not sure I could even get what I paid for this one and I just picked it up in March. I just try to figure that those dollars are how much fun I had. Doesn't make me feel any better but its something to hang my hat on. Good luck.
In the spring, summer and fall, I just ride and don't think about resale value. In the winter, I look at new bikes and bemoan the resale value, or lack thereof, of mine.

Thankfully, winter is almost over. It is 86 and sunny today, but accuweather is already issuing frost warnings for next week.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 6:02 pm

I paid $7,000 for my 05 LT last year and I just keep telling myself that I get to ride what was originally a $30,000 bike for a fraction of the price.
I get the feeling it's more of a big bike thing. You don't see a lot of big tourers on the road. Most riders want adventure bikes and racers these days. As a mater of fact the previous owner of my bike switched to an adventure bike. I still think it's one of the most beautiful bikes on the road. I was parked up at a local lookout here in Brisbane a few months ago and a Lamborghini was parked next to me. A guy walked up and instead of looking at the Lamborghini he was looking at my LT and commented on what a beautiful bike I had.
post #12 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 6:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
I paid $7,000 for my 05 LT last year and I just keep telling myself that I get to ride what was originally a $30,000 bike for a fraction of the price.
I get the feeling it's more of a big bike thing. You don't see a lot of big tourers on the road. Most riders want adventure bikes and racers these days. As a mater of fact the previous owner of my bike switched to an adventure bike. I still think it's one of the most beautiful bikes on the road. I was parked up at a local lookout here in Brisbane a few months ago and a Lamborghini was parked next to me. A guy walked up and instead of looking at the Lamborghini he was looking at my LT and commented on what a beautiful bike I had.
The LT is a head turner for sure. I really like parking by Harleys or Wings and activating the EHCS. The look on their faces is priceless.
dmatson, Mark65 and gorm5 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 6:55 pm

Garage

I have an '02 with ~130K on the odo... Practically worthless! Which is why I spent closet o $2K to put in a new clutch, hoses, bearings, brake lines, etc....

Spend a little more and I could have picked up newer model year with lower mileage.... but this beast has taken my blood, sweat and tears for the past 15 years - might was well make it my money as well...
Voyager, ValkyrieRider and Mark65 like this.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #14 of 20 Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
The LT is a head turner for sure. I really like parking by Harleys or Wings and activating the EHCS. The look on their faces is priceless.
I continues to amaze me that the LT, 20 year old design still looks so fresh and contemporary. That was some amazing design work!
sailor, hschisler, ALL4BMW and 1 others like this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 20 Old May 3rd, 2018, 8:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
I continues to amaze me that the LT, 20 year old design still looks so fresh and contemporary. That was some amazing design work!
That's for sure. I am still amazed they didn't update the drive train and electronics as the basic design and styling is good for another decade easily.

But given BMW"s meager US market, I understand them focusing on Europe.

I saw stats recently that show that Italy and France each buy more BMWs than the US. And at current growth rates, even Spain will soon exceed the entire USA!

I think these stats are a little misleading though as they were unit sales, not sales dollars. I suspect the USA buys much larger and higher priced bikes and thus likely has higher sales revenue than some of these countries, but even so the USA clearly isn't a prime market for BMW.
powwow and ALL4BMW like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; May 3rd, 2018 at 9:02 am.
post #16 of 20 Old May 4th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I looked for a long time last year before I bought one. I thought at 4200 bucks I stold a 02 with 6600 miles on it and it was extensively maintained. MAYBE NOT.

That said I liked the post that I bought a 21K bike for pennies on the dollar. I will do the same on a 1600 eventually. With all that said I still love the bikes even though I would give it a horrible rating on maintenance ease and dependability. FWIW that would be my rating for all the BMW products.
post #17 of 20 Old May 4th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Garage

One thing about the LT it sure beats riding a harley on long trips. I got mine last year with 43k, it just turned 50k and on the side line needing a fd rebuild, LOL
post #18 of 20 Old May 6th, 2018, 9:45 pm

I bought a 2002 6mnts ago and was going to flip it but then I rode it and fell in love with it. Only has 25k and still looks new. My late model street glide just sits in the shop with some of my other bikes. Don't have much in it but after 27 yrs of BMW' s this rides way better than all the rest. The R1150rt is just too small for a tall rider. It's worth the maint work.
post #19 of 20 Old May 11th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I find reverse to be the real jaw dropper.
Voyager likes this.

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!
post #20 of 20 Old May 13th, 2018, 4:34 pm

I just sold my '01 with 104,000 on it. I wanted more than anything else to be fair and honest with the new owner. I advertised and sold it for $2,500. But I didn't care if it sold or not. And that was the dealer offer on a new Yamaha FJ-09 (which I am not going to buy). I've had it for over 11 years now, installed brake lines, daylong seat, wilbur shocks, clutch, seals, final drive, brakes etc.
When I advertised it I said that my best guess was that she was half way through her life, gave the results of oil analysis, compression readings and stated all the work I had done on it.
When the gentleman came to ride it I quizzed him first on his knowledge of the LT, asking him if he knew what the K rattle was, why the might smoke on start up etc.
He knew very little about the LT, but took it for a spin and loved it. I asked to run it up to 4,000 before shifting, then when he was comfortable to take it up past 7.
He asked me if I would take $500 to hold it till the end of the month. I refused his money, but promised to hold it, and asked him to do some internet research on the quirks of the bike. I also offered to fire up one of my other bikes and go on an extended ride with him - he on the LT me on another bike.
He's now comfortable with buying it, and I'm comfortable with selling it. Worked out well.
sailor, ibbones, powwow and 2 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in