Views:	163
Size:	488.9 KB
ID:	143402  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 1:31 am

Garage
Re: Damn................

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I just got this thing back together.
Is it oil? Mine did the same thing after replacing the clutch from around the same area - turned out to be the coolant overflow tank - I think I either over-filled when replacing coolant or had a loose cap....
Patric likes this.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 7:26 am

Garage

Looks like coolant. Just marking its spot!
Patric likes this.

George

2004 K1200LT - Gray Ghost

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 7:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I am rather new here, and therefore consider everyone else much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to these bikes. That disclaimer aside, do these bikes not have a small moisture weep hole at the bottom of their exhaust? Is that merely moisture that results when an engine (any engine) is first started & warming up? I'm old, so I think I'm gonna go out with my trusty mechanic's mirror & examine the underside of my RT's exhaust.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 9:47 am

It looks too clear to be oil. I'm guessing condensation or coolant, although shouldn't coolant have a green tinge.
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 10:16 am Thread Starter

It looks like condensation and not coolant but she has never marked her territory in the middle of the exhaust before. That always was spat out the back along with carbon deposits making little black rings on the concrete so I don't know what this is or where it is coming from. I am not aware of any holes in the exhaust for this to egress at that point plus no carbon along with it so some investigation is required. I may take a few drops of coolant out of the tank and drop it on the floor just as a comparison. It should have a green tinge to it or a smell and it didn't. So, is there a crack or hole in my exhaust that shouldn't be there?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #7 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 12:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
It looks like condensation and not coolant but she has never marked her territory in the middle of the exhaust before. That always was spat out the back along with carbon deposits making little black rings on the concrete so I don't know what this is or where it is coming from. I am not aware of any holes in the exhaust for this to egress at that point plus no carbon along with it so some investigation is required. I may take a few drops of coolant out of the tank and drop it on the floor just as a comparison. It should have a green tinge to it or a smell and it didn't. So, is there a crack or hole in my exhaust that shouldn't be there?
You are right ol' Beemer Breath (term of endearment)...there is no weep hole. However, out of curiosity, I went out to the man cave, cranked my bike, and laid down beside it to observe. Sure 'nuff...right at the clamps for the exhaust flow control valve, a small amount of moisture came flowing forth. Not a lot, and as the engine warmed up, the drop that had accumulated withered and evaporated before falling to the ground. Like you I had seen a drop or two during warm up on colder days, but on warmer days, it could be that the moisture evaporates before dropping off.

The clamps take a T-45 Torx. I was able to tighten one, but the other was so tight, I was afraid to risk over tightening and breaking it. Besides, the amount of exhaust leak is so minimal, I am not concerned on such an open vehicle like a motorcycle.
(Had to come back & edit because I finally realized I am referencing an R, and the original poster is referencing a K bike. I'm trying to learn how to negotiate this forum. You folks will have to let me know if the issue could apply to both types of motorcycles.)

[IMG][/IMG]

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

Last edited by Beemer tiger; Apr 27th, 2018 at 1:17 pm.
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Possibly brake fluid????
katnapinn likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
You are right ol' Beemer Breath (term of endearment)...there is no weep hole. However, out of curiosity, I went out to the man cave, cranked my bike, and laid down beside it to observe. Sure 'nuff...right at the clamps for the exhaust flow control valve, a small amount of moisture came flowing forth. Not a lot, and as the engine warmed up, the drop that had accumulated withered and evaporated before falling to the ground. Like you I had seen a drop or two during warm up on colder days, but on warmer days, it could be that the moisture evaporates before dropping off.

The clamps take a T-45 Torx. I was able to tighten one, but the other was so tight, I was afraid to risk over tightening and breaking it. Besides, the amount of exhaust leak is so minimal, I am not concerned on such an open vehicle like a motorcycle.
(Had to come back & edit because I finally realized I am referencing an R, and the original poster is referencing a K bike. I'm trying to learn how to negotiate this forum. You folks will have to let me know if the issue could apply to both types of motorcycles.)

[IMG][/IMG]
No clamps on the LT exhaust but this pic tells the story. I have developed a leak. Will need to weld that up. Not sure I have any wire for my mig that is suitable but I have a tiny Oxy Map that might do the trick before it cracks up the weld.

EDIT: Looks like I own nothing suitable to do the weld myself. Oxy/MAPP is not recommended and my wire welder is also not good. Will have to consider taking it somewhere at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02520.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	143426  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Apr 27th, 2018 at 2:50 pm.
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 4:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just fix it next time you have to remove the exhaust, it is not likely to get worse.
katnapinn likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 14 Old Apr 27th, 2018, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Just fix it next time you have to remove the exhaust, it is not likely to get worse.
I think that is my plan now that I know it isn't antifreeze. I will just keep an eye on it as that is the place that has cracked on others. Oh the joys of owning an LT
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #12 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 7:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
No clamps on the LT exhaust but this pic tells the story. I have developed a leak. Will need to weld that up. Not sure I have any wire for my mig that is suitable but I have a tiny Oxy Map that might do the trick before it cracks up the weld.

EDIT: Looks like I own nothing suitable to do the weld myself. Oxy/MAPP is not recommended and my wire welder is also not good. Will have to consider taking it somewhere at some point.
Clean the area off with a wire brush and put some JB Weld on it.
Also check with Beamer BoneYard for a used exhaust.

Stevie Shreeve
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 10:42 am

Quote:
It looks like condensation and not coolant but she has never marked her territory in the middle of the exhaust before. That always was spat out the back along with carbon deposits making little black rings on the concrete so I don't know what this is or where it is coming from.
Ain't that the truth with the right angle blow hole!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

post #14 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Clean the area off with a wire brush and put some JB Weld on it.
Also check with Beamer BoneYard for a used exhaust.
Got some new J&B and will go ahead and patch it for now. Many on Ebay to choose from for under $100 plus shipping. I see the part numbers are different on Max between the 99-04 and the 05-09. Was hoping to pick up one off a newer modle but there is some difference between them. Not sure if it will bolt up with all the mount points or not.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in