Speedometer Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 2:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Speedometer Problem

I just swapped out my failed rear drive for a spare I have. Now the speedometer doesn't work. I checked the gap at the sensor ring. It's within range. I have clipped most of the tie-wraps holding the cable and flexed the wire-nothing.
This is on a '03 LT.

Any suggestions?

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 2:34 pm

What year LT did the spare drive come from?
post #3 of 37 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
What year LT did the spare drive come from?
It's the original drive that came on the bike. I swapped them out a year ago and now the replacement failed and i went back with the original that was rebuilt early this year.

dan

post #4 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 9:49 am

An Update???

Dan,

Have you gotten this problem diagnosed and corrected yet?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:03 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Dan,

Have you gotten this problem diagnosed and corrected yet?
Nope, no change. I will probably take it to the dealer tomorrow and hook it up to the Moditec.

dan
post #6 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:25 am

On the same line I have a 99 LT and my speedo says I'm going about 10 miles faster than I am, any ideas?
post #7 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem
On the same line I have a 99 LT and my speedo says I'm going about 10 miles faster than I am, any ideas?
That's not "on the same line" at all. That is totally normal. And according to govenment regulations, totally acceptable. There is a speedometer correction mod. Use the search. It's a fun one.
post #8 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:32 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Go to Hall of Wisdom,common issues,4th subject,read on
post #9 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:46 pm

You can also buy the YellowBox from our friends Down Under, Black Robotics. They claim that it not only corrects your speedo, but your odometer as well. Seems to be a simple enough install, and correcting the odometer may save you from getting shorted on your warranty coverage.

Of course, there may be other ramifications that I am not aware of, and I will leave it to our fellow members to chime in with any other important info.

BTW, I found out about this device through a thread here on BMWLT.com, and a search may yield you some additional info as well.

Quote:

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
You can also buy the YellowBox from our friends Down Under, Black Robotics.
I have yet to hear of someone having 100% success with these. Makes the needle jumpy all of the time.
post #11 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Quote:
You can also buy the YellowBox from our friends Down Under, Black Robotics. They claim that it not only corrects your speedo, but your odometer as well. Seems to be a simple enough install, and correcting the odometer may save you from getting shorted on your warranty coverage.

Of course, there may be other ramifications that I am not aware of, and I will leave it to our fellow members to chime in with any other important info.

BTW, I found out about this device through a thread here on BMWLT.com, and a search may yield you some additional info as well.
The yellow box does not work well at all on the LT. Besides, the Odometer is not off nearly as much as the speedo, and even if the yellow box worked, it would lower the odometer much too far, making it read about 6-7% low. The speedos are off about 10% high, the odo about 3%high. The speedo correction by soldering the jumpers in place (pre-2005 models only) does not affect the odometer at all, where the yellow box affects both.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The yellow box does not work well at all on the LT. Besides, the Odometer is not off nearly as much as the speedo, and even if the yellow box worked, it would lower the odometer much too far, making it read about 6-7% low. The speedos are off about 10% high, the odo about 3%high. The speedo correction by soldering the jumpers in place (pre-2005 models only) does not affect the odometer at all, where the yellow box affects both.
Thank you for sharing your insights. Where does one find the jumpers that need to be soldered? How much of the bike do I have to take apart to get to it?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:24 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your insights. Where does one find the jumpers that need to be soldered? How much of the bike do I have to take apart to get to it?
As was posted earlier in this thread you can find the information in our 'Technical' pulldown at the top of the page under 'Hall of Wisdom'. The part about the speedometer is here.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #14 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
I just swapped out my failed rear drive for a spare I have. Now the speedometer doesn't work. I checked the gap at the sensor ring. It's within range. I have clipped most of the tie-wraps holding the cable and flexed the wire-nothing.
This is on a '03 LT.

Any suggestions?

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
Hi, Dan: speedo is not driven by that external sensor that needs gap setting. This is for ABS. Speedometer is driven by the sensor that plugs into top of the FD case.

So, hopefully you did not break the connecting wire for the sensor. I'd still check the sensor itself: pull it out of the drive and see if there is maybe some debris sticking to it.

I noticed that it really needs to be fully worked into the final drive before tightening up. Maybe you have it still partly up and crooked by pressure of mounting screw?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #15 of 37 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:43 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Hi, Dan: speedo is not driven by that external sensor that needs gap setting. This is for ABS. Speedometer is driven by the sensor that plugs into top of the FD case.

So, hopefully you did not break the connecting wire for the sensor. I'd still check the sensor itself: pull it out of the drive and see if there is maybe some debris sticking to it.

I noticed that it really needs to be fully worked into the final drive before tightening up. Maybe you have it still partly up and crooked by pressure of mounting screw?
Nope, the '02s and later use the same sensor for speedo and ABS.They don't have the sensor you are refering to.

Dan
'03 LT
post #16 of 37 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 5:12 am

Quote:
Where does one find the jumpers that need to be soldered? How much of the bike do I have to take apart to get to it?
If you're not comfy with taking the LT down, that's one you prolly should ride over to my house for.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 37 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy5211
Where does one find the jumpers that need to be soldered? How much of the bike do I have to take apart to get to it?
If you're not comfy with taking the LT down, that's one you prolly should ride over to my house for.
I got some easy instructions from the good Deacon on removing the nose cone. With those plus the H.O.W. "Tupperware Paty" post, I was OK with trying that this weekend and running some new wires to the front for iPod, GPS, and Phone.

It's the speedo R/R that is a bit spooky. Also have a couple of light bulbs to replace on the speedo while it is out for soldering. So . . . I think I'll wait for the next local tech session to do the speedo fix, as it is not urgent and I don't want to hose it up my first time in.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #18 of 37 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Nope, the '02s and later use the same sensor for speedo and ABS.They don't have the sensor you are refering to.

Dan
'03 LT
Hi, Dan:

Ooops - my bad. The newest machine I have is an '01. Did not know that the design was changed since.

Anyway, discounting the above discussion about inaccuracy of the indicator, you stated that after the swap it stopped working altogether, right?

If so, presuming you did not work on anything else, the suspect items are what you touched, that is the sensor and the wires. I am guessing that you did not open or reconnect any jumpers or connectors, right?

Once the gap is confirmed, I would say that the sensor did not fail - it is enclosed and rather sturdy. It is quite likely that a wire broke in the sensor cable. I would suspect the connecting cable: it does flex, it is stressed and it is normally squeezed by a tie-wrap.

I do not recommend that (NO!), but if it happened to me, I'd figure that there is not much to loose and I'd cut open the jacket of the sensor cable. I do not know if it is just a magnetic pickup coil or a Hall sensor (maybe someone can chime in), therefore checking continuity through sensor may not work. I'd split the cable by the sensor itself and then as high up swingarm as possible and hope to find broken cable. You may just get lucky - and then fix the open jacket with electrical tape: ugly, but effective.

Any luck in the meantime?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #19 of 37 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:34 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Robert, No I did not disconnect any connectors. I have undone the cable and flexed it with the bike running,no signal. I thought maybe a blown fuse, nope.
Talked to the dealer a few days ago while getting parts for fixing the rear drive. Their only suggestion was to hook it up to the Moditec. I will take it over tomorrow.
I've been shut down for the past two days while SWMBO and I replace the carpeting in our bedroom with laminate.

dan
post #20 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 6:23 am

Smile Speedo Sensor = Transmission

Quote:
This is on a '03 LT.

Any suggestions?

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
The speedo sensor attaches to the right side of the transmission. The ABS sensor on the FD does not play a roll in this measurement.
This should help steer you in the correct direction.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #21 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Does the Speedo "Power Up"???

Dan,

When you turn the ignition switch on, does the speedo "Power up"? Does the speedo move at all either when turning off or on?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #22 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Dan,

When you turn the ignition switch on, does the speedo "Power up"? Does the speedo move at all either when turning off or on?
No movement at all.

dan
post #23 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 1:28 pm

A Little Help???

Quote:
No movement at all.

dan
Alright,

his speedo has NO MOVEMENT at all when he turns on the switch....Could some of you guys who know the electrical circuitry of the LT chime in???

I am leaving and do not have time right now to go over schematics, but it seems to me that having no power to speedo should be fairly simple to trace if he knows where to start and has a test light or volt meter. (Or so it would seem -- unless of course it's the computer ).

Could someone help Dan with a starting point for voltage??? That is, if the wires/conectors aren't hidden 'neath the tupperware...but, BMW would NEVER do that!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #24 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 9:29 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Took it to the dealer today. Moditec shows the sensor faulty. But they gave me the sensor part number for a bike with ABS II, I am pretty sure I have Integral ABS. Will take the sensor off tomorrow and strip the wires.

Riding without a speedometer means:
1. No cruise control...I really need to change cables
2. no auto volume adjust on radio.
3. No BC info.

dan
post #25 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Man,

I really hate to hear that you had to take it to a dealer. I am very sorry I did not have time to research it and help out.

May God bless you for many miles to come. Again, I apologize.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #26 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Do your calipers say Brembo or BMW?? If Brembo you have ABS II and if BMW then you have Integral ABS. Hope this helps.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #27 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:11 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Man,

I really hate to hear that you had to take it to a dealer. I am very sorry I did not have time to research it and help out.

May God bless you for many miles to come. Again, I apologize.
thanks Jack, no problem. The dealer wanted me to bring it in to talk about a trade in anyway. I'm not really interested as I am just getting this one farkled correctly. The new one they wanted to move was black...no thanks...requires keeping clean. Mine get washed 1-2 times a year. I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

dan
post #28 of 37 Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:14 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Do your calipers say Brembo or BMW?? If Brembo you have ABS II and if BMW then you have Integral ABS. Hope this helps.
Thanks Steve_R. I know i have seen that somewhere before. I just went out to garage to check. Definitely say BMW on them.

dan
post #29 of 37 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 7:34 am

Smile Post # 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
The speedo sensor attaches to the right side of the transmission. The ABS sensor on the FD does not play a roll in this measurement.
This should help steer you in the correct direction.
You may have missed my post earlier. Post # 20, the answer was there all along

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #30 of 37 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 3:03 pm

Same problem here!

Quote:
Took it to the dealer today. Moditec shows the sensor faulty. But they gave me the sensor part number for a bike with ABS II, I am pretty sure I have Integral ABS. Will take the sensor off tomorrow and strip the wires.

Riding without a speedometer means:
1. No cruise control...I really need to change cables
2. no auto volume adjust on radio.
3. No BC info.

dan
Dan,
I've got the same thing going on with my bike. The speedo, odometer, OBC and cruise control work intermittently. I too bought a speed sensor. It is nothing like what is on my rear drive (02 model). I have the older manual which show the ABS and Speed sensors both in the rear drive but seperate. I assume if the sensor for the speedo and ABS were bad on the 02 model I would also be getting a fault in the ABS system as well on the 02 model. The dealer here sold me a speed sesor but it seems to be for the "PRE 02" models with the sensor seperate.

All I need now is an electrical diagram to see where the speed signal is going.
Maybe I could find the intermittent open circuit.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

Last edited by bustedknuckles; Dec 31st, 2006 at 3:17 pm.
post #31 of 37 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 11:09 pm

The speedo sensor wire almost always breaks where the wire is tie-wrapped to the metal ferule on the brake line. I would cut that tie wrap and maybe another tie wrap or two and carefully inspect the plastic sheathing on the wire. Look for a little crimp, and you'll probably find the wire bends very easly at this point because a conductor is already broken. This can be fixed with a soldering iron and a little heat-shrink tubing, right on the bike.

Regard,
-joel
post #32 of 37 Old Dec 31st, 2006, 11:19 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
The speedo sensor wire almost always breaks where the wire is tie-wrapped to the metal ferule on the brake line. I would cut that tie wrap and maybe another tie wrap or two and carefully inspect the plastic sheathing on the wire. Look for a little crimp, and you'll probably find the wire bends very easly at this point because a conductor is already broken. This can be fixed with a soldering iron and a little heat-shrink tubing, right on the bike.

Regard,
-joel
i have removed the sensor and cable,stripped at both ends and verified continuity on both wires. I will order a new sensor Tuesday

dan
post #33 of 37 Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:04 am

Now hold on everyone.

Dan has an 03 and Stephen has an 02. Each of these has the integral brakes and therefore no speed only sensor in the rear drive, just like Mike Sheldons should have been.

Based on the wire schematics in the Clymer (which leave a lot to be desired since they are just schematics not true wire diagrams, yes there is a difference), the maybe late 01's and certainly above use the ABS sensor to send a signal to the ABS control module and the speedo signal comes from the ABS module.

If I'd known this last week I wouldn't have commented on Jack and Mike's possible damaged wire, sorry Jack.

So based on that limited knowledge, Both Dan and Stephen may have bad ABS sensors.

After that I don't know anything about the ABS system to trouble shoot it, may require a dealer diagnostic trip, as Dan did to indicate his bad sensor. But I wouldn't be afraid to try a new sensor as a spare wouldn't hurt anything.

Let us know Dan.

Oh also a good idea to verify the part numbers, as Dan did, of any brake components purchased, dealers are always mixing the two.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Last edited by bowlesj; Jan 1st, 2007 at 10:13 am.
post #34 of 37 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:49 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

problem over

The dealer was right. The sensor was bad. Installed a new sensor and speedometer now works great.

Thanks for all the ideas.

dan
post #35 of 37 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:30 pm

Glad you got that fixed, Dan. Does this mean you'll be getting rid of your high-tech cruise control lever I saw last weekend?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #36 of 37 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Glad you got that fixed, Dan. Does this mean you'll be getting rid of your high-tech cruise control lever I saw last weekend?
Yea, that hose clamp and plexiglass has been put aside for next time.

dan
post #37 of 37 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:39 pm

Quote:
The dealer was right. The sensor was bad. Installed a new sensor and speedometer now works great.

Thanks for all the ideas.

dan
Dan, I wish it had turned out that easy with my speedo problem. I picked up my new rear sensor yesterday(thinking it might be the magic cure) and installed it. Took it out for a drive and still no joy. Looks like its off with the fuel tank to get at the wiring harness. I've done a little studying and noticed there are some connections going to the dash cluster in the obis under the fuel tank.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in