• 1 Post By garage monster
  • 2 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By garage monster
  • 4 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

help needed stranded

I managed to complete my CC50 and am headed home to Oregon via Texas to see my kids.
As I passed through Winslow AZ the bike died as if a switch was thrown. I was towed to motel six.
2000 k1200LT
Previous owner installed fuel filter remotely and bike has metal QD's.
No warning lights.
I bought meter, some wire and a stripper kit.
Bike cranks strongly.
I checked fuse #4.
Wind blowing like hell and noisey but I cannot tell if pump is priming.
I have almost full tank of fuel and with flashlight I cannot see ripples in the tank.
I have basic BMW tool kit.
Where do I start?
Be specific if you can.
I don't want to live here in Motel 6

Robert

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Re: help needed stranded

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
I managed to complete my CC50 and am headed home to Oregon via Texas to see my kids.
As I passed through Winslow AZ the bike died as if a switch was thrown. I was towed to motel six.
2000 k1200LT
No warning lights.
Bike cranks strongly.
I checked fuse #4.
I have almost full tank of fuel and with flashlight I cannot see ripples in the tank.
Where do I start?
Be specific if you can.

Robert
This is a tough one Robert. There are not many things that would stop the bike in its tracks and still crank. Was there any noise indicating a mechanical failure? A recent bike had a cam gear dowel strip and it would not run. If there is an auto store close by, you can check a lot of things with a can of starting fluid sprayed into the breather end while cranking. If it starts, then it is likely fuel related and the rest of the bike is good. Then I would focus on the fuel pump and in tank lines even if you can't see much disturbance. Another recent issue was an internal collapse of an OEM pressure side fuel line blocking fuel flow. That was a first but it stopped the bike cold so now that we know about that possibility, it can happen again. Hopefully the wind will subside enough for you to hear the pump prime but the temp light is a good electrical indication that it should be working. After that, possibly a fuel pump relay or other relay. Are there any other issues?

Edit, another possibliity is water in the fuel and that would clog the fuel filter. How recently did you get fuel?

Second edit: The temp light should be on with kill in center, not in gear and side stand up. In gear it should extinguish when the side stand is lowered and come back on when raised. Likewise when the kill is left or right of center.

Good luck.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Apr 19th, 2018 at 10:14 pm.
post #3 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

with the meter I have verified 13.25 volts at both sides of fuse #4 with key off. I am seriously considering using the other connector near the QD's to power the pump with key on. This will tell me if the pump is good and should get me 100 miles safely home.

Other than the relay is there any of the safety interlocks that will stop the pump but allow it to crank? Really don't want to rent a Uhaul to get it home.

post #4 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:17 pm

Second reply. Don't continue cranking if the battery starts to get low as you may fuse the starter relay unless it has been upgraded. the 2000 has the old style and is subject to that issue on a low battery.
radar41 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Quote:
with the meter I have verified 13.25 volts at both sides of fuse #4 with key off. I am seriously considering using the other connector near the QD's to power the pump with key on. This will tell me if the pump is good and should get me 100 miles safely home.

Other than the relay is there any of the safety interlocks that will stop the pump but allow it to crank? Really don't want to rent a Uhaul to get it home.
The other connector is always hot and wired backwards to the fuel pump plug so you can't use if as is, the bike won't run with the pump running backwards.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #6 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

I fueled in Holbrook, 32 miles.
where would I find the breather to try starting fluid. Bike has had cannisterectomy.
No mechanical noises. everything else seems to work.
I think I can get to filter relatively easily. That would also be a quick way to see if pump runs.

post #7 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

I realize connector is backwards. I could tap in there. I really hate to try taking this all apart in the dark in the parking lot. Battery is new and strong. I am aware of the low battery issue.

post #8 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:22 pm

The interlocks kill the emergency shutoff relay and that kills the fuel pump and also prevents cranking. If that is dead, the temp light would not be on and it would not crank.

The breather inlet is up under the front cowel on the right side. Leads to the air box.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #9 of 36 Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

so it sounds like.
pump relay or pump or plugged filter. If I disconnect filter which is on right side under rear seat I will know if pump runs. if it runs, replace filter. If no run hot wire it. That or about 900 bucks to get it home if I can find a way ti tie it down in a Uhaul.

post #10 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 9:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
2000 k1200LT
No warning lights.
Bike cranks strongly.
I checked fuse #4.
Where do I start?
Be specific if you can.

Robert
I am not sure how the previous owner configured the in tank hoses when moving to the external filter, but I would suspect a leak in a hose inside the tank. Also, I would return to the OEM filter location at my earliest opportunity. It is very hard for people to remotely help you troubleshoot a factory stock bike. Once significant configuration changes are made, remote troubleshooting is doubly difficult.

When my u-hose sprung a leak, the engine died pretty quickly and I was just idling along in my driveway. Fortunately, I knew what to check from following this forum and I diagnosed the problem before getting off the bike.

Gordon's method can quickly rule out ignition and serious mechanical problems, but be careful with the starting fluid. Too much can cause serious engine damage. Good luck getting it sorted. Being stranded sucks.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 9:19 am

Quote:
so it sounds like.
pump relay or pump or plugged filter. If I disconnect filter which is on right side under rear seat I will know if pump runs. if it runs, replace filter. If no run hot wire it. That or about 900 bucks to get it home if I can find a way ti tie it down in a Uhaul.

I would think it unlikely the fuel filter is plugged but I would check the lines inside the tank are connected properly and are tight as Gordon mentioned. Not sure what the previous owner used for clamps but the filter should not be able to turn on the line. Of course the filter has been installed in the right direction of flow, right?

HTH

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #12 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 9:49 am Thread Starter

OK.
Took it apart in the motel lot.
Fuel pump does not run.
When key is turned on I have 13+ volts at the fuel pump connector for about 1 second.
When I crank the voltage returns.
No sound from the fuel pump.
I don't suppose there is a substitute fuel pump available that can go in the tank?

post #13 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 10:04 am

Quote:
OK.
Took it apart in the motel lot.
Fuel pump does not run.
When key is turned on I have 13+ volts at the fuel pump connector for about 1 second.
When I crank the voltage returns.
No sound from the fuel pump.
I don't suppose there is a substitute fuel pump available that can go in the tank?
I can't say that there isn't but have not seen a reference to any that can be used.
I do see this on Amazon with a want it tomorrow and 2 in stock. If you have another day to burn and an amazon account, you might be able to have it dropped to the hotel address if you hurry.

https://www.amazon.com/HFP-439B-BMW-...00lt+fuel+pump

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #14 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 10:20 am Thread Starter

I just talked to Quantum and they have pumps in stock for $70 and can have it here tomorrow for another 60. I guess I can siphon the gas out into a gas can and have the tank out waiting. Seems doable.
Patric likes this.

post #15 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 10:29 am

Quote:
I just talked to Quantum and they have pumps in stock for $70 and can have it here tomorrow for another 60. I guess I can siphon the gas out into a gas can and have the tank out waiting. Seems doable.
You should be able to pull the tank and lay it over on its side to remove the lock ring without draining it. That approach may depend on just how much fuel is in it and you said pretty full. With the right side bumper rail removed, you should be able to get the pump assembly out without pulling the tank but you need to get most of the fuel out to do it that way. I have not tried the second method yet.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #16 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:15 am Thread Starter

Anything special I need to know about taking the pump out of the tank?
I have had the tank off the bike before so that is no issue, just a lot of work in the parking lot. I will siphon gas out first and see what happens.
in 55 years or riding I have only been stranded by one other bike and that was a Buell which is basically a Harley.
Funny because the tow truck driver said he tows a lot of Harleys.

post #17 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:20 am Thread Starter

OH MAN. I will check it out and if I can drain the tank and pull the pump out the bottom that will be much easier.

Right now I think I will be "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" looking for that fine sight to see.
Leaping1 likes this.

post #18 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:56 am

Quote:
OH MAN. I will check it out and if I can drain the tank and pull the pump out the bottom that will be much easier.

Right now I think I will be "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" looking for that fine sight to see.
Yes, much easier but still might make some mess but by the time you get it back together, I would think that most of the spilled remaining fuel would have evaporated. Just make sure none is pooled on the top of the engine

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #19 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Quote:

It's a girl my Lord in a Fed-Ex panel truck slowin down to drop a pump on me!
ibbones and Whiskey like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Apr 20th, 2018 at 12:08 pm.
post #20 of 36 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
It's a girl my Lord in a Fed-Ex panel truck slowin down to drop a pump on me!
Now That is funny.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

post #21 of 36 Old Apr 21st, 2018, 8:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I did it this way when my u-hose sprung a leak. I think I had to remove the tip-over bar, but once that was done it was easy. You will need a strap wrench most likely in order to remove and install the ring nut. The hardest part is siphoning out the fuel. I only lost a few ounces of fuel when I removed the fuel pump itself. Good luck. This is an easy job at home in ones garage, but not fun at all in a motel parking lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	143098  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #22 of 36 Old Apr 21st, 2018, 10:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I did it this way when my u-hose sprung a leak. I think I had to remove the tip-over bar, but once that was done it was easy. You will need a strap wrench most likely in order to remove and install the ring nut. The hardest part is siphoning out the fuel. I only lost a few ounces of fuel when I removed the fuel pump itself. Good luck. This is an easy job at home in ones garage, but not fun at all in a motel parking lot.
I just put my spare pump in a foodsaver vacupacked bag along side with my spare crown bearing and seal. I will make sure and find space for these for the CCR trip to Russellville.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02514.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	143106  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #23 of 36 Old Apr 21st, 2018, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I just put my spare pump in a foodsaver vacupacked bag along side with my spare crown bearing and seal. I will make sure and find space for these for the CCR trip to Russellville.
Do you carry a strap wrench? That is one tool I don't carry, but then almost any auto parts store can sell you one.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 36 Old Apr 21st, 2018, 10:56 am

Quote:
Do you carry a strap wrench? That is one tool I don't carry, but then almost any auto parts store can sell you one.
I have a metal strap oil filter wrench that fits the plastic nut and will probably be throwing that in one of the bags as well. Yes, it adds weight and takes up space but on that trip, I will be traveling solo so lots more space for me

In a pinch, you could probably use a screw driver and hammer to tap it around but carrying those would take up far more space. I do like Roberts idea of using a shock spring wrench as it is very compact and if it didn't pull through the plastic ribs, will probably work for him to get fixed and home.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #25 of 36 Old Apr 21st, 2018, 4:44 pm

Update Please : )
post #26 of 36 Old Apr 21st, 2018, 5:18 pm

Hopefully he has received the replacement pump and is busy putting the bike back together. I heard from Robert around noon ET and he had things ready waiting for the UPS delivery. Have received no further status or additional calls for help so I hope he is well on his way to getting back on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garage Monstor Winslow.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	143114  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #27 of 36 Old Apr 21st, 2018, 9:58 pm

Word at 9:20PM ET. He was stopping for gas and sent me a reply to an earlier message which means he is fixed and running.
radar41, Voyager, Leaping1 and 1 others like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #28 of 36 Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Word at 9:20PM ET. He was stopping for gas and sent me a reply to an earlier message which means he is fixed and running.
That's great news!
Not a much worse feeling than to be stranded far away from your "Home Paddock." Especially, during the initial phase of diagnosing the problem, and uncertainty. Then, to further exacerbate the situation, even in the presence of lots of people, is the feeling of deep loneliness and isolation, as the local folks go about their daily routine, unaware of the depth/urgency of your situation.

At least, he was not stranded on the side of an interstate, next to a guardrail, with 18 wheelers whizzing by at 85mph only a few feet away.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #29 of 36 Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 1:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
That's great news!
Not a much worse feeling than to be stranded far away from your "Home Paddock." Especially, during the initial phase of diagnosing the problem, and uncertainty. Then, to further exacerbate the situation, even in the presence of lots of people, is the feeling of deep loneliness and isolation, as the local folks go about their daily routine, unaware of the depth/urgency of your situation:
Said like someone who has experienced that exact situation
post #30 of 36 Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussell View Post
Said like someone who has experienced that exact situation
There is some merit in fixing things before they break on something 17+ years old. I seem to specialize at it with the hope I don't find myself in that position.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #31 of 36 Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 9:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
There is some merit in fixing things before they break on something 17+ years old. I seem to specialize at it with the hope I don't find myself in that position.
I've been lucky or maybe blessed is the more correct word. None of my Kawasaki's ever left me stranded. And my LT hasn't really either, unless you count 1/4 mile from your house in your driveway as stranded. Yes, the morning after returning from a 5,000 mile trip to the hinterlands of Newfoundland (Gros Morne) as we rode out to breakfast, the LT died halfway down my driveway. The infamous u-hose had burst.

The only other time was my fault, combined with out of date Garmin data, and happened last September in central Oregon. I ran out of gas on a well traveled road that unbelievably went 93 miles between gas stations. My GPS showed two stations on the road, but both appeared to have been out of business for some time. Yes, I had the latest Garmin database. I can confirm that the BC's distance to empty is accurate to within one mile!

If you ever ride Oregon route 97 from Biggs Junction to Madras, be sure to fuel up in Biggs if you have less than half a tank. Central Oregon is a third world country with respect to gas stations.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:18 am.
post #32 of 36 Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 9:36 am

Quote:
"fixing before they break" and preventive maintenance (once per year in winter) is what I have been doing on all my bikes for a long time. The fact that I do no go to the dealer lowers my maintenance cost - even more so when you buy quality aftermarket stuff for many items at rebate (when available or at Beemerboneyard).

On the K1200, it has worked and never stranded for 93,000 miles SINCE NEW in 2002 (151,000 KM). The list is fairly long, but the cost is minimal considering it is spread over 15 years of use - depreciation cost would have been far worse if I had bought/exchange for another new motorcycle every 2 to 4 years.

1) Bleeding the iABS (with servos) once a Year ...AND.. activating the ABS function on gravel road about every 4 weeks during riding season.

2) Plastic quick-connect for metal ones when plastic ones from factory were 5 years old (I had seen too many posts on failure)

3) replaced all Factory rubber brake hoses after about 10 years of usage. Given number of failure seen on forums, I was always concerned it would be my turn soon...

4) replaced both throttle-cables when I felt some stiffness in original cables (K1200 was about 8 years old). Newer cable design will last longer I think.

5) replaced all rubber intake parts during 1 winter maintenance when bike was about 10 years old (approx 65,000 miles at that point). There was no major sign of intake air-leaks yet but given track record of these, it was on borrowed time.

6) replaced the O2 sensor at approx 80,000 miles. Based on data from GS911, the up-down range was weakening. ALSO, based on data from O2 sensors manufacturer, these have average life of about 50 to 100K miles.

7) replaced the rubber hoses inside the tank at approx 80K miles (matched with a fuel-filter replacement schedule).

8) I also do the coolant flush about every 3 to 4 years (depending on mileage done during that period). Also, about every 7 years, I remove completely the radiators to do a full pressure cleanup of the accumulated stuff into fins (long winter time cleanup)

All bearings are originals (wheels, engine, rear-drive) and all brake disk are originals. The rear disk is getting closer to minimum soon but hey... it will have about 100K miles at that point, Note that my K1200RS is not has heavy to stop as a K1200LT (K1200RS is approx 630 fully fueled).
Voyager likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:41 am.
post #33 of 36 Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 10:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
"fixing before they break" and preventive maintenance (once per year in winter) is what I have been doing on all my bikes for a long time. The fact that I do no go to the dealer lowers my maintenance cost - even more so when you buy quality aftermarket stuff for many items at rebate (when available or at Beemerboneyard).

On the K1200, it has worked and never stranded for 93,000 miles SINCE NEW in 2002 (151,000 KM). The list is fairly long, but the cost is minimal considering it is spread over 15 years of use - depreciation cost would have been far worse if I had bought/exchange for another new motorcycle every 2 to 4 years.

1) Bleeding the iABS (with servos) once a Year ...AND.. activating the ABS function on gravel road about every 4 weeks during riding season.

2) Plastic quick-connect for metal ones when plastic ones from factory were 5 years old (I had seen too many posts on failure)

3) replaced all Factory rubber brake hoses after about 10 years of usage. Given number of failure seen on forums, I was always concerned it would be my turn soon...

4) replaced both throttle-cables when I felt some stiffness in original cables (K1200 was about 8 years old). Newer cable design will last longer I think.

5) replaced all rubber intake parts during 1 winter maintenance when bike was about 10 years old (approx 65,000 miles at that point). There was no major sign of intake air-leaks yet but given track record of these, it was on borrowed time.

6) replaced the O2 sensor at approx 80,000 miles. Based on data from GS911, the up-down range was weakening. ALSO, based on data from O2 sensors manufacturer, these have average life of about 50 to 100K miles.

7) replaced the rubber hoses inside the tank at approx 80K miles (matched with a fuel-filter replacement schedule).

8) I also do the coolant flush about every 3 to 4 years (depending on mileage done during that period). Also, about every 7 years, I remove completely the radiators to do a full pressure cleanup of the accumulated stuff into fins (long winter time cleanup)

All bearings are originals (wheels, engine, rear-drive) and all brake disk are originals. The rear disk is getting closer to minimum soon but hey... it will have about 100K miles at that point, Note that my K1200RS is not has heavy to stop as a K1200LT (K1200RS is approx 630 fully fueled).
Likewise, but still nothing is guaranteed hence the cell phone and credit card.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #34 of 36 Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:00 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Not that it is really helpful now but I remembered a guy at CCR 2007 that had a pump fail and he used a 1993 Ford Tarus fuel pump to fix it. He had to cut off the rings on the wiring and install spade terminals to hook up the electrical part. But other wise the pump fit and worked fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	256_220219617_1__ra_p.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	143154  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #35 of 36 Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I've been lucky or maybe blessed is the more correct word. None of my Kawasaki's ever left me stranded. And my LT hasn't really either, unless you count 1/4 mile from your house in your driveway as stranded. Yes, the morning after returning from a 5,000 mile trip to the hinterlands of Newfoundland (Gros Morne) as we rode out to breakfast, the LT died halfway down my driveway. The infamous u-hose had burst.

The only other time was my fault, combined with out of date Garmin data, and happened last September in central Oregon. I ran out of gas on a well traveled road that unbelievably went 93 miles between gas stations. My GPS showed two stations on the road, but both appeared to have been out of business for some time. Yes, I had the latest Garmin database. I can confirm that the BC's distance to empty is accurate to within one mile!

If you ever ride Oregon route 97 from Biggs Junction to Madras, be sure to fuel up in Biggs if you have less than half a tank. Central Oregon is a third world country with respect to gas stations.
True, dat! Another long run is Bend to Burns and Burns to Ontario.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #36 of 36 Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 10:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
True, dat! Another long run is Bend to Burns and Burns to Ontario.
Why the scarcity of gas stations? Does Oregon have crazy laws that make it hard to open a gas station? Route 97 had much more traffic and larger towns than many roads in rural northcentral PA where I live, yet it is hard to go 20 miles from a gas station anywhere in PA. And gas was easily found in most other states with parts of Nevada being the other exception, but Nevada is famous for this so everyone expects it. I didn't expect it in Oregon.

I can't imagine living in a town in the lower 48 where you are 40 miles from a gas station.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in