Pilot light wires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Pilot light wires

I got the "running lights" (rear brake light sockets) for the front turnsignals. The directions say to tap into the pilot light's power wire to power the "parking light" side of the bulb. I can see the wires going up to the pilot light but can't really do much with them. My question is, are the pilot light's wires in a removable socket? I've looked up in there and it doesn't seem they are. If that is true it looks as if I'll have to remove one of the side panels to get at the wires well enough to do a splice in.

P.S. I already have the holes opened up for the sockets in the turn signal housings, simple work for a dremmel tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 10:12 pm

No offense, but it sounds like you're working way harder than you should be. Perhaps your kit is not the same one that I installed.

As for the pilot light (aka parking light), it simply just pushes up into the headlight assembly. To remove it, firmly pull down on it and it will come down and out to where you can splice into the wires and then push it back up where it belongs.

HTH
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. What I got isn't a "kit", it is just 2 dual element tail lamp/turnsignal bulb holders that get put in place of the ones for the front turn signals. For this you have to open up the holes in the front T/S assemblies and make one of the aligning/locking tab slots a little bigger. Then tap into the pilot lamp's power wire for the "parking lamp" function.

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 11:32 pm

I did it the same way

I did it the same way you are doing now. I didn't remove any body panels and simply tapped the power going to the parking light. You just need to reach up there and, with enough light, splice into that wire. I spliced two wires, one for each turn signal, and that was it. Obviously I had to modify the turn signal housing to allow the new bulb socket to fit, but it sounds as if you've got that handled.

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
You just need to reach up there and, with enough light, splice into that wire. I spliced two wires, one for each turn signal, and that was it.
Thanks. I was able to get the park lamp to come down, but I thought I was going to tear the wires out of it. That thing is really stuck up in there. I couldn't reach both hands up in there to do the splice/solider (hands are way too big). I got it done though and it looks much better at night now. Next will be the LED lights for the saddle bag reflectors and the top brake light pulsator...when they come in. I'll feel much better riding at night with the added lighting.
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 5:22 pm

used these did not have to solder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
Thanks. I was able to get the park lamp to come down, but I thought I was going to tear the wires out of it. That thing is really stuck up in there. I couldn't reach both hands up in there to do the splice/solider (hands are way too big). I got it done though and it looks much better at night now. Next will be the LED lights for the saddle bag reflectors and the top brake light pulsator...when they come in. I'll feel much better riding at night with the added lighting.
Used these when I converted mine and did not have to solder at all.
Have used them for a couple of projects now and have not had a problem with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wirecrimp.gif
Views:	29
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	8955  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
Used these when I converted mine and did not have to solder at all.
Have used them for a couple of projects now and have not had a problem with them.
I don't trust those clamp on splices. They can damage the conductor in the wire and are a pain to seal up against the elements. Call me old fashioned or even anal, but I like the positive security of a good old solider joint.
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:54 pm

understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
I don't trust those clamp on splices. They can damage the conductor in the wire and are a pain to seal up against the elements. Call me old fashioned or even anal, but I like the positive security of a good old solider joint.
I have not had a problem with them Yet as long as I use the correct gauge, But I have only used them for the last 2 years. I have solder joints that are 15 years old yet so time will tell.

Will let you know if I have any problems with em.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in