Hand grips sliding off. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Hand grips sliding off.

Here's an odd one. . .

After riding for a little while, say thirty minutes, I noticed that the rubber grips have begun to slip outward from the handlebars. One time they worked better than a half inch outward in less than an hour. It's not like they are loose, and I have to really work to twist and slide them back home.

Anyone else have this problem? Never had it on my H-D, but I recall it happening from time to time on my Yamaha V-Max bikes years ago.

Ideas?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:20 am

Can't recall ever hearing of this issue before. But if this happened to me, here's what I would do. Buy a small can of hair spray (i.e. Aqua Net). The next time the grips slip down, spray some hair spray onto the exposed part and slid the grips back up. You'll be amazed how good that stuff holds once it sets. Just don't use too much.
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You'll be amazed how good that stuff holds once it sets.
Yeah. Remember all of the "Beehive" hair do's? Superglue couldn't have done a better holding job on them

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 5:44 am

The rubber part of the grips splits pretty easily, but for the LT, BMW only sells the entire unit (heating element, grip), so if (when) the grip splits, you can peel off the rubber part and slide on an after market grip for a fraction of a replacement grip. If it isn't glued on, it will slip off as you describe - especially if you have the heat on DAMHIKT.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 7:09 am Thread Starter

But what ever would I do with the leftover whatever that H-word is spray? Haven't seen or heard that word, or the stuff it refers to, on my head for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Can't recall ever hearing of this issue before. But if this happened to me, here's what I would do. Buy a small can of hair spray (i.e. Aqua Net). The next time the grips slip down, spray some hair spray onto the exposed part and slid the grips back up. You'll be amazed how good that stuff holds once it sets. Just don't use too much.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:06 am

I had this exact scenario with my right grip recently wanting to slowly inch back off the bar.I would turn the heat on to get it to slide back up the bar.

I had used Dave Dragon's idea from STC I to put the Wilson tennis racket grip tape on too to solve the splitting problem I was having + to have a larger and softer grip with no "black stuff" coming off on my hands from not wearing gloves.

OK.....the solution to your problem: Jack (cccpastorjack) showed me a trick on using compressed air to "blow up" the grip such that you can get it off the bar entirely without further damage to the heat wires etc. Then you slime "gorilla snot"....that's what they call the window stripping adhesive at the auto parts stores....all over the bar and slide the grip back on.

I bought a new $2.46 Wilson grip tape at Walmart and the grip is now fully seated with a new tape cover and IS NOT coming back off!

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Here's an odd one. . .

Anyone else have this problem? Never had it on my H-D, but I recall it happening from time to time on my Yamaha V-Max bikes years ago.

Ideas?
Yeah I had this, going on. I think it was mostly because of laziness on my part.
I have the wrist rest on both grips, I think from letting my meathooks just hang on there, it put outward pressure on the grips.
Now that I am aware of it, It does not happen because I also think my grip now.
It was weird!
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in