Tool Kit Contents...Suggestions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

Tool Kit Contents...Suggestions?

Hello all. As stated in a previous post, I am new to my LT and am loving every minute of it. Except for that little bit about getting caught in the rain and the windshield dumping it down my neck. Ah well...on to the topic at hand.

I am constituting a tool kit, and am hunting for advice on tools I need or things I can do without. Attached are some pics and a list of tools in it. I don't have a tire repair kit listed, because I am working on placing an air compressor and such. Also working on spare wire and other electrical stuff.

replacement tire valve
robo wrenches - 3/4,5/8,9/16,11/16
1/2,7/16,5/16,3/8
5-in-1 screwdriver
6" adjustable wrench
break off razor
razor
Gerber needlenose multitool
sharpie
ballpoint pen
circuit tester
lighter
blue loctite
electrical tape
zip ties
mini maglite
extra set of batteries
alligator patch cables
mini-ATC fuses
BMW fuse tool
assorted wire nuts, screws, and washers
hose clamps
3/8" ratchet
2", 4" 3/8" extensions
5/8 spark plug socket
sockets - 17,15,14,13,12,11,10,9
hex sockets - 8,7,6,5,4,3
torx sockets - 47,45,40,30,27,25,20,15,10
paper clip

I'm not sure about the robowrenches, thinking about replacing them with regular open end ones. Otherwise, I'm not married to anything in the kit. Except for the paper clip. Those things keep on coming in handy.

Anyway, happy holidays and keep the egg nog flowing.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool kit IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	838.2 KB
ID:	8938   Click image for larger version

Name:	tool kit IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	871.8 KB
ID:	8939   Click image for larger version

Name:	tool kit IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	588.6 KB
ID:	8940  

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Being new to LT-land myself, I'm not sure of what to suggest except for one thing: some paper or something else to write on instead of your hand (you already had a ballpoint pen listed).

I keep some PostIt Note paper in my "go bag." One never knows. . .

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 31 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 9:58 pm

If you have the "correct" Bosch/BMW spark plugs you can drop the 5/8 plug socket, they are 18mm.
A must have would be a tire repair kit and compressor. And another "must have" would be a cell phone with a fully charged battery.

post #4 of 31 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 10:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I say loose the 5/8 spark plug socket as these are 11/16 plugs and I have not seen a spark plug specific in that size yet. No need for SAE (except the plugs) everything is metric and torx. I don't think a replacement tire valve will help unless you have access to a tire machine - bead is pretty tough to break with out one. Replace the rubber tire valves at your first opportunity with metal ones.

After you have done a couple of maintenance intervals 12K and 24K you'll know what to carry to get to most everything.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 31 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 10:37 pm

Here is one of my favorite threads from the old site - thanks for bringing this to mind again!

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...ts&Main=295003
post #6 of 31 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone pointing out that the plugs are 11/16th. I was trying to figure out the correct size, but couldn't seem to find the info.

For tire repairs, I am working on placement for a compressor (got one that came with a Slime kit, and like it a lot after I stripped it down), as well as deciding on a patch kit or a Stop N Go kit.

As jzeiler pointed out, after I do a few services I'll really figure out what I need and don't need. I want the dealer to do my 12,000 service (I've got a touch over 9k right now), as I want them to do the valve clearance check before I touch them. That is because of two things: 1) I'm not sure of how deep the inspection of the bike was before I got it (it's an 8 month used one), and 2) I want to have someone walk me through one before I attempt to do it.

Oh, someone pointed out to lose the SAE stuff. I normally would, but the way the Husky RoboWrenches are set up each one covers 4-5 different sizes, sometimes both SAE and metric. But again, I'm seriously thinking about trading them out for a open end set.

Oh, and the replacement valve stem is actually a valve core. It came with the Slime kit, and just kept it...because. Yeah, I can see breaking the bead being an issue.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #7 of 31 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 11:15 pm

No we mean valve stem not valve core. Read here, here, here and here from the old site, just to point out a few. YMMV DAMHIK

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:12 am

I think the best advise I have ever received regarding a bike's toolkit was given by Don Arthur. (If you don't know the name, well, I don't know what to tell ya. ) To paraphrase, he said that he doesn't take any tool with him on the road that he doesn't use while working on a bike in his garage. This is the best way to ensure that the tools you're taking are the ones you need. It's also a great way to hone down the amount of tools you take with you. The more I tour long distances, the smaller my toolkit is getting.
post #9 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 4:38 am

Bead breaker

Something I learned a long time ago from an old Harley rider,
the side stand can be used as an emergency bead breaker,
a little trickier with the wheel of but even with the bike on the centerstand it can be done.
Once the wheel is positioned under the side stand,
a pull of the bike to the left from the right side handlebar grip does the trick

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 7:19 am

After reading this thread, and seeing all the goodies some folks pack for enroute repairs, I have to once again show my newbie-ness and ask: Where do you keep clothing etc for you and your traveling companion? Do you ship it to the destination in advance, or are you just really good at packing?

I know that some folks have a small trailer that they pull behind the bike, but what about those without?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:57 am

Packing tools.

I leave it to ya'all to say how much and many, but less is better, if you have the skill and knowledge. All the tools at Sears won't help if you don't know what they are for or how your equipment functions.

It looks like the tool box and tupperware takes up a lot of room........ I put my tools in a cheap tolit kit bag [$4.00] It packs down and the stuff doesn't rattle around.
post #12 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
If you have the "correct" Bosch/BMW spark plugs you can drop the 5/8 plug socket, they are 18mm.
A must have would be a tire repair kit and compressor. And another "must have" would be a cell phone with a fully charged battery.
DITTO, Frankly, there is so much stuff to take off the bike to get to much of it, that IMHO anything other than extremely small road side repairs are not really feasible. A fully charged cell phone in addition to a small compressor and a tire plugger kit (forget the BMW stock one) are your most important items. Don't for get the pliers to pull the nail out of the tire.

AND chances are if you have significant problems while on the road not only is the above true, but most of us would not be able technically to handle it anyway.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #13 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:22 am Thread Starter

One of my goals with the tool kit is to minimize the impact on storage. Using the plastic case, I'm hoping to be able to squeeze a saddlebag liner on top of it in a side pannier. Unfortunately, the more space I have, the more things I have to fill them.

Cheers,

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #14 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
Unfortunately, the more space I have, the more things I have
to fill them.Cheers,
You just recalled a very basic scientific principle appropriately named after its discoverer, Fred Sanford's Law, which states:

"All other things being equal, junk expands to fill all available space."

(Anyone who saw my garage would instantly accept this law as true. Hey, you never know if you might need that box and packing material for the computer you've since replaced three times ago!)

... and let's not forget the Workplace Corollary, which states that "work expands to fill the available time."

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #15 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Whenever I work on my LT or RT, I use the on board tool kits, that helps assure I have the tools I need in them.........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #16 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 1:30 pm

One thing you do not have on your list is cash. I keep $50 or $60 dollars on the bike at all times.
post #17 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaskas
It looks like the tool box and tupperware takes up a lot of room........ I put my tools in a cheap tolit kit bag [$4.00] It packs down and the stuff doesn't rattle around.
I didn't like the tool kit roll that came with ole Toad - it wouldn't stay adhered to the sidecase wall - so I put 'em all on the floor of the sidecase. Takes up 'bout 1/2 an inch of space, butt I use Beemer Bags for liners and they conform to whatever space/shape you stuff 'em into. See pix below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toolchest Open.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	8959  
post #18 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I didn't like the tool kit roll that came with ole Toad - it wouldn't stay adhered to the sidecase wall - so I put 'em all on the floor of the sidecase. Takes up 'bout 1/2 an inch of space, butt I use Beemer Bags for liners and they conform to whatever space/shape you stuff 'em into. See pix below.
Hey Dick! I forgot you had the clever way of storing them... My tool roll wouldn't stay attached either, so it and the other tools are in a carry bag from some motivational class I had to go to at work (at least something good came from it!)

So where did you get that foam? Anything special?
post #19 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Hey Dick! I forgot you had the clever way of storing them... My tool roll wouldn't stay attached either, so it and the other tools are in a carry bag from some motivational class I had to go to at work (at least something good came from it!)

So where did you get that foam? Anything special?
Hi, Shawn - Happy New Year to you and Terri and the family all.

Got the foam padding at Sears. Its for lining tool trays and tool chest drawers. Comes in a beeg package, with a nifty leetle knife, and a white sheet of paper to use to outline the various tools. I laid out all the tools on the white sheet; made the outlines and then laid that over the foam pad. Did the knife cutouts, shucked the pieces, and then inserted the tools in their respective cavity.

One thang - the floor of the sidecases is not on a level plane; has a slight belly to it. So, I used a thin piece of rubbermaid material for the bottom - then the cutout pad; insert the tools; then another layer of rubbermaid on top as a lid. This enables the whole shebang to conform to the sway belly of the sidecase.
post #20 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 7:44 pm
fas

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I think the best advise I have ever received regarding a bike's toolkit was given by Don Arthur. (If you don't know the name, well, I don't know what to tell ya. ) .... It's also a great way to hone down the amount of tools you take with you. The more I tour long distances, the smaller my toolkit is getting.
Like Joe said, in the last 22,000+ miles, I have not opened the tool kit in my bike. May that always be the case.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #21 of 31 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Since the cell phone was mentioned more than once I'd also say a AAA or similar membership with motorcycle coverage (which I believe is usually extra option). This may sound obvious, but I thought I'll mentioned it.
Along those lines, it might also be useful to be familiar with the proper tie-down procedures for the K12LT because a tow truck driver probably won't be.

Steve
Granada Hills CA
2005 K1200LT Dark Graphite Metallic
post #22 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 1:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I think the best advise I have ever received regarding a bike's toolkit was given by Don Arthur. (If you don't know the name, well, I don't know what to tell ya. ) To paraphrase, he said that he doesn't take any tool with him on the road that he doesn't use while working on a bike in his garage. This is the best way to ensure that the tools you're taking are the ones you need. It's also a great way to hone down the amount of tools you take with you. The more I tour long distances, the smaller my toolkit is getting.
RIGHT ON ADVICE! Even though you've decided to have the dealer do the 12K, find a reason to take the plastic off (add an electrical farkle or aux. lighting). Use your traveling tool kit. You'll discover what's needed to get to the internals. You can figure out the rest based on your knowledge/experience level.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #23 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 6:16 am

Wink

those that have make do. those without do without.
post #24 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 6:53 am

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Like Joe said, in the last 22,000+ miles, I have not opened the tool kit in my bike. May that always be the case.
26,000 miles and haven't unrolled the kit that came with the bike except in my garage. I did add a small tire compressor and better patch/plug kit, a little cash and always have a cell phone. The kit that came with he bike ain't too bad for beside the road repairs and if it can't be done with it, I'll probably need to have it looked at by someone who knows a lot more about it than me.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #25 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_helmet
Since the cell phone was mentioned more than once I'd also say a AAA or similar membership with motorcycle coverage (which I believe is usually extra option).
Steve brings up a real good point that is usually overlooked,
AAA towing coverage does not apply to motorcycles,
you must have recreational vehicle coverage,
which is only another 15-20 bucks.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #26 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 8:55 am

I didn't see any linemans splicing tape, radiator hose clamps or stainless fence wire.
You can do an amazing amount with those few things.
Rock
post #27 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
I didn't see any linemans splicing tape, radiator hose clamps or stainless fence wire.
Actooley, he does have hose clamps on his list. But now that you've opened this can of worms...

IMO, more importantly than the tools you carry is the list of repair items. Some of you may remember the way I McGeyver'ed my thottle cable with a small set of hose clamps around the throttle to get me home.

Or the way I used Gaffer's tape to hold up my centerstand when it had a minor failure.

Off the top of my head, I don't go anywhere without these supplies:
  • Radiator Hose Clamps
  • Gaff and electrical tape
  • Self-fusing silicone tape
  • 12/14ga electrical wire
  • An assortment of solderless connectors
  • Small tube of dielectric grease
  • 18ga wire (for suspended ceilings)
  • JB Weld
  • Tire repair kit
post #28 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:00 am

In a little while you will discover that most of your tools are overkill. Great to have but taking up space.

I have a pair of vice grips and some duct tape on a small plastic tube. Those help with sometimes when all the tools you have won't.

I would add a T-25 screwdriver so you don't need to fiddle with adapters or little wrenches.

I would also add shifting rod repair kit.. (a selector rod and ball pins with some clips) to your tool kit. Those are simple parts that can break without warning and they can be field repaired with little or no down time, but only if you have the parts.

(edited T20 to T25)

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Last edited by jackd; Dec 27th, 2006 at 10:29 am.
post #29 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
Hello all. As stated in a previous post, I am new to my LT and am loving every minute of it. Except for that little bit about getting caught in the rain and the windshield dumping it down my neck. Ah well...on to the topic at hand.

I am constituting a tool kit, and am hunting for advice on tools I need or things I can do without. Attached are some pics and a list of tools in it. I don't have a tire repair kit listed, because I am working on placing an air compressor and such. Also working on spare wire and other electrical stuff.

replacement tire valve
robo wrenches - 3/4,5/8,9/16,11/16
1/2,7/16,5/16,3/8
5-in-1 screwdriver
6" adjustable wrench
break off razor
razor
Gerber needlenose multitool
sharpie
ballpoint pen
circuit tester
lighter
blue loctite
electrical tape
zip ties
mini maglite
extra set of batteries
alligator patch cables
mini-ATC fuses
BMW fuse tool
assorted wire nuts, screws, and washers
hose clamps
3/8" ratchet
2", 4" 3/8" extensions
5/8 spark plug socket
sockets - 17,15,14,13,12,11,10,9
hex sockets - 8,7,6,5,4,3
torx sockets - 47,45,40,30,27,25,20,15,10
paper clip

I'm not sure about the robowrenches, thinking about replacing them with regular open end ones. Otherwise, I'm not married to anything in the kit. Except for the paper clip. Those things keep on coming in handy.

Anyway, happy holidays and keep the egg nog flowing.

Cheers,
Plus
combo wrench set to 26mm
JB weld
duct tape
18" pipe wrench
12" Channel locks
2 vise grips
Tap and die set
Fluke 87 meter
8" vise
sidegrinder
1/2" impact
2 pair of hand cuffs
sawzall
3/8 cordless drill
fire extinguisher
10 ton porta power
soldering iron
syphon hose
swiss file set
silocon sealer
dead blow hammer
punch set
can of Raid bug killer
tin snips
pry bar
grease gun
hatchet and/or machete
greenlee slug buster set
air compressor
can opener
lineman's pliers
lock pick set
e-tool
oxy-actetylene torch set
logging chain
hand cleaner
road flares
clamp on ammeter
12' X 12' tarp
100' of 3/8" rappelling rope
first aid kit
jumper cables
pint of moonshine whiskey

Well OK. Seriously, how about a cell phone, credit card and a Glock 23 in case the first 2 items come up short.

B D R

Last edited by gunny; Dec 27th, 2006 at 7:27 pm.
post #30 of 31 Old Dec 27th, 2006, 7:30 pm

I prefer the Sig P226 myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Well OK. Seriously, how about a cell phone, credit card and a Glock 23 in case the first 2 items come up short.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #31 of 31 Old Dec 28th, 2006, 7:39 am

These come in REALLY useful if you do have serious problems

www.thefartmachine.com/filthy-phrases.htm

www.bullworks.net/virtual/soundstu/motorcy.htm

Simon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in