• 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By milwbeemer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Apr 13th, 2018, 9:22 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Off to a bumpy start

Had a one day heat wave today when it hit 82 after weeks in the 30s. Decided to take the LT for a supper ride only to find the front tire flat as a pancake. I filled it to 42 psi and heard no air leak and a visual inspection showed no obvious hardware in the tread. Bathed the tire with soapy water and found no bubbles anywhere, including around the valve stem.

I last rode the bike in early February when we had one reasonably warm day and added a little air at that time. I am hoping maybe it was just a spec of something that kept the valve stem from seating, but that is likely wishful thinking. I will see how much it loses overnight.

My rear tires have always lost a couple psi every week or two which I always attributed to porous wheels as both my rear wheels do this with both Metzelers and Bridgestones. However, the front tires have always held air wheel. I just hope this leaks fast enough to be evident as really slow leaks can be a pain to find.

Anyone know of any good sealants I can try on my rear wheels? It would be nice to not have these slow leaks.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Apr 14th, 2018, 12:16 am

Re: Off to a bumpy start

I have a compressor with me to pump up your tires in Russellville if needed. My wheels are not porous and hold air pretty well. I do clean the bead surfaces really well when I change tires and have not had any leaks so far. A bumpy start is still a good start if you made it back home.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old Apr 14th, 2018, 9:20 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I have a compressor with me to pump up your tires in Russellville if needed. My wheels are not porous and hold air pretty well. I do clean the bead surfaces really well when I change tires and have not had any leaks so far. A bumpy start is still a good start if you made it back home.
I made it back home as I left the bike home and took the car.
Didn't want to risk getting stranded late in the day by a suspect tire. I will check it again today to see how much air is lost in 24 hours. I suspect it is a really slow leak given that I could not quickly find it with a soapy water bath.

I have always wished I could find the leak in the rear. The rear has lost air since the bike was new. I have had at least six different tires on the rear (both 880 and 020), two mounted by a tire dealer and four I mounted. At least four different valves have been used, most recently the metal ones from Kurvy Girl. I always wash the rim between tires and scrub the adhered rubber off the bead with a scotchbrite pad. And the beads look good with no obvious scratches or such.

No matter what I've done the rear loses at least 4 psi a month. The only common denominator is the wheel itself which is why that is my lead suspect. And the drop center part of the rim looks porous. Sort of like a paint job with really, really bad fish eye. I think I am going to try to find something to seal it with at my next change to see if that makes any difference. Not sure what else to try.

The front tire has always held air well. It might lose 1-2 psi a month and most of that is from checking the pressure. The volume of air is so small that it is easy to lose 1/2 psi just checking the pressure given how hard it is to get the tire gauge square on the stem with the disks so close to the rim.

I also carry a compressor and plug kit. Though, now that I think about it, the kit is probably ten years old and the plugs and cement probably pretty stale...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #4 of 24 Old Apr 14th, 2018, 12:11 pm

You say you have carefully worked over the bead area of your wheels and suspect some porosity in the wheel. This can happen. I agree the next thing is to coat the inside of the wheels. I suggest that you clean your wheel interior with some progressively nasty solvents and scotchguard (and gloves). I would start with 3M automotive adhesive remover to get all the bits of gunk off, especially the beads. Then a good wash of the interior with dome carb cleaner spray. Let dry well for a while and then paint/rub down completely with Loctite 290. It will penetrate any porosity. Of course allow no build up in bead area. Finding a small leak 5/10 psi a month is not easy. Soap might not do it. Specialty leak detectors like "Snoop" really help then it is staring for minutes at each area. I found a leak on a wheel that had been driving the owner nuts for a couple of years. It took a half hour of careful inspection with a quality leak solution. It was bead area corrosion.
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37481.../dp/B0002KKTRM
https://www.amazon.com/Snoop-Leak-8O...+leak+detector
milwbeemer likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 24 Old Apr 14th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Try this.Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System - Ride-On Weirdly enough look in the scratch and dent for discounted price.I use it every new set of tires.Does a great job of balancing too.I don't know the physics behind it but I get at least 1/3 more mileage out of tires too.(on Bridgestones)

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #6 of 24 Old Apr 15th, 2018, 8:58 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefMn View Post
Try this.Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System - Ride-On Weirdly enough look in the scratch and dent for discounted price.I use it every new set of tires.Does a great job of balancing too.I don't know the physics behind it but I get at least 1/3 more mileage out of tires too.(on Bridgestones)
I change my own tires and these sealants generally make that a messy job. I am not that desperate yet, but may get to that point. I will first try sealing of the rim. GM and others have information on that as some cars are similarly afflicted. Next I will try a bead sealant. I suspect one or the other of these will cure the slow leak in my rear tire.

I checked my front tire after 24 hours and it was down only 0.5 psi. The weird thing is that this tire carried me 8,500 miles around the US last fall losing only 2 psi the entire month and then goes flat over the winter sitting still. That suggests to me that it isn't the bead leaking, but might be the valve or possibly a very small puncture that I'm just not finding. I planned to ride this tire to Russelville and back, but may have to reconsider. It has nearly half its tread left so I hate to trash it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #7 of 24 Old Apr 15th, 2018, 2:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a friend paint the inside of a his wheels with Green loctite so he could run tubeless tires on ....as I remember 80's snowflake wheels. They were porous and you had to run tubes in them... That was 30 years ago, but it worked for him. He was a truck mechanic & had a pail of loctite to work with..

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #8 of 24 Old Apr 15th, 2018, 6:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
I had a friend paint the inside of a his wheels with Green loctite so he could run tubeless tires on ....as I remember 80's snowflake wheels. They were porous and you had to run tubes in them... That was 30 years ago, but it worked for him. He was a truck mechanic & had a pail of loctite to work with..
Locktite is probably a great solution, but pretty pricey for "painting" a large area. I am thinking about trying a silver paint.
Patric likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 24 Old Apr 15th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Garage

I had a problem keeping pressure as well. I think its because my rims are scratched up pretty good. Ever since I started using this stuff when I change tires I've had no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_92.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	142858  
post #10 of 24 Old Apr 15th, 2018, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchosteff View Post
I had a problem keeping pressure as well. I think its because my rims are scratched up pretty good. Ever since I started using this stuff when I change tires I've had no issues.
I was looking at exactly this stuff just last night. Wishing I could find a smaller quantity, but this amount would certainly last a long time!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 24 Old Apr 16th, 2018, 1:13 am

There are a lot of tire issues but I promise you that if you pull the wheel off,(rim and tire attached together) and stick it in a bucked of water that you will know where your leak is coming from.
Patience and a bucket of water (or bottle of soapy water spraying along the rim as well as the tire will tell you the same thing.)
If you don't get any bubbles then that will tell you that you have a slow leak that is occurring through the rim. Most light metals are somewhat pourous and therefore air can slowly find it's way out
An old school solution to this is to scrub the rim down and then spray paint the inside of the rim (the only other path of air is through the rim)

Good luck
post #12 of 24 Old Apr 16th, 2018, 8:07 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussell View Post
There are a lot of tire issues but I promise you that if you pull the wheel off,(rim and tire attached together) and stick it in a bucked of water that you will know where your leak is coming from.
Patience and a bucket of water (or bottle of soapy water spraying along the rim as well as the tire will tell you the same thing.)
If you don't get any bubbles then that will tell you that you have a slow leak that is occurring through the rim. Most light metals are somewhat pourous and therefore air can slowly find it's way out
An old school solution to this is to scrub the rim down and then spray paint the inside of the rim (the only other path of air is through the rim)

Good luck
I don't have any buckets that big. Will have to use the Jacuzzi.

I gave the front wheel a thorough visual inspection and then a soapy water bath and found nothing. I hate to submerge the front wheel as I don't like soaking the bearings and getting the hub internals wet. The rear wheel is not a problem.

Fortunately, it has been the rear wheels that have the slow leaks. My current front tire issue is unlikely to be the rim. I suspect tire or valve.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 24 Old Apr 16th, 2018, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I don't have any buckets that big. Will have to use the Jacuzzi.

I gave the front wheel a thorough visual inspection and then a soapy water bath and found nothing. I hate to submerge the front wheel as I don't like soaking the bearings and getting the hub internals wet. The rear wheel is not a problem.

Fortunately, it has been the rear wheels that have the slow leaks. My current front tire issue is unlikely to be the rim. I suspect tire or valve.
If you do use the Jacuzzi, make sure you don't turn it on. Would make it difficult to distinguish between its bubbles and ones coming from the tire.

OR

Walk up ( or drive) to your local tire store and use their bucket. Have you tried over inflating it to like 60 PSI during the testing?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #14 of 24 Old Apr 16th, 2018, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
If you do use the Jacuzzi, make sure you don't turn it on. Would make it difficult to distinguish between its bubbles and ones coming from the tire.

OR

Walk up ( or drive) to your local tire store and use their bucket. Have you tried over inflating it to like 60 PSI during the testing?
Not yet. It has lost only 2 psi in three days. If I ride it a few miles and this rate holds, I will ride it to Arkansas and just try to wear it out and inspect the wheel closely when I mount the next tire.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 24 Old Apr 16th, 2018, 3:46 pm

When I found a leak this small on a wheel, I was wearing those headband flip down magnifiers and using a high quality leak bubble solution. I'm not sure if the normal tank dipping format will work out.

Beech

post #16 of 24 Old Apr 16th, 2018, 4:05 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
When I found a leak this small on a wheel, I was wearing those headband flip down magnifiers and using a high quality leak bubble solution. I'm not sure if the normal tank dipping format will work out.
I tend to think you're right. Less than 1 psi per day from a relatively small volume tire isn't much air. However, if it doesn't get worse, I can live with it until this 888 is worn out. Probably be done by the end of the year.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 24 Old Apr 28th, 2018, 5:23 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Off to a bumpy start-dacd16dd-c938-43f9-962a-c01433890288_1525008390964.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I tend to think you're right. Less than 1 psi per day from a relatively small volume tire isn't much air. However, if it doesn't get worse, I can live with it until this 888 is worn out. Probably be done by the end of the year.
Well, I think I have uncovered most of my tire pressure issues.

I was checking the rear pressure and I seemed to have a hard time getting the gauge to seal on the valve stem. Then I felt some air on my thumb that seemed to be coming from the base of the stem. I then wiggled it and it moved side to side letting air escape each direction. That may be part of why I lost air on my trip. I can see hard bumps possibly jiggling the loose stem and letting small bursts of air.

I've never had an issue before with the Kurvey Girl stubby metal valves. I believe they are double nutted on the inside, but apparently this one worked loose. Fortunately, I have a 50% tread tire on my spare rear wheel that will easily get us to CCR and back. And probably to BWOM-10 at Tail of the Dragon in June.

As for the front, I spent some quality time today slowing spinning the wheel and spraying it with soapy water and carefully watching for bubbles. Never found a single hint of leakage. Decided to spin the tire and check the rim for dents or bead damage. Again nothing. I then lowered the floor jack to raise the rear wheel to change it as mentioned already. When I came back to the front I decided I might as well wipe down the front wheel since it was well covered in soapy water. As I spun the wheel it stopped abruptly. I pulled and it began to rotate, but again stopped quickly. I noted the spot and did it again and it stopped at the same spot. I had serendipitously lowered the front to where the front tire cleared the slab except at the high spot in the tire. A closer look showed a pronounced bulge just off-center in the tread. See attached pictures.

Then, as the now pretty clean tire dried, I noticed another dimple in the tread. I think it is hardware, but it may be a cactus thorn from my desert trip. I can't detect any leak, but it certainly is not to be ignored. So, a new tire is on the way. So, I will have a new front shoe for CCR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FACE507F-3A72-4E02-B55F-F00B3C171E88_1525008249280.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	564.6 KB
ID:	143458   Click image for larger version

Name:	2FD13C5D-9FBE-408B-AB01-38269577C569_1525008320339.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	633.4 KB
ID:	143466   Click image for larger version

Name:	4B5C5F9B-7829-442E-BD66-45FDAB13E5FD_1525008432023.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	677.0 KB
ID:	143482  
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Apr 29th, 2018 at 9:28 am. Reason: Add pictures
post #18 of 24 Old Apr 29th, 2018, 9:17 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I had a bubble sort of like that on an ME 880 front that I noticed as I was getting read to replace it. It didn't leak either but I was glad I was replacing it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 24 Old May 2nd, 2018, 4:31 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I had a bubble sort of like that on an ME 880 front that I noticed as I was getting read to replace it. It didn't leak either but I was glad I was replacing it.
My new tire arrived yesterday. AMT is fast. I ordered last Saturday. They will submit old tire to Metz for warranty review. I had 9,000 miles on it so I don’t expect much. This is the second failure of a made in Brazil Metz after 4 good German made ones. So far no failures of the Brigdestones.

Since it is 86 here today (snowed last Sunday), I decided to git’ER done.

I fixed the loose rear valve stem on the rear wheel and added a light coat of bead sealer to the valve stem seals. That is messy stuff. Put it on the remounted rear also and the new front, but not sure I got a uniform coat. Very hard to hold the stiff tires down with one hand and apply sloppy goop with the other. Probably should have had a second pair of hands.

We shall see if it was worth the effort.

I also found the front stem a little loose so I tightened it, but didn’t remove it to goop the seals. Must be thermal cycling and vibration that loosened them over the 6 or so years I’ve had them, even double nutted. May have to use thread locker if they loosen again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15AE8353-7A54-4A68-AF22-A59E9061F715_1525292837232.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	479.0 KB
ID:	143706   Click image for larger version

Name:	F9C7D5DA-5464-481A-A795-B69B87B76044_1525292927511.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	143714   Click image for larger version

Name:	5C003F73-8698-41C9-BBFB-4B2FEAF474D8_1525293019858.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	707.4 KB
ID:	143722  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2018, 7:55 pm

Quote:
You say you have carefully worked over the bead area of your wheels and suspect some porosity in the wheel. This can happen. I agree the next thing is to coat the inside of the wheels. I suggest that you clean your wheel interior with some progressively nasty solvents and scotchguard (and gloves). I would start with 3M automotive adhesive remover to get all the bits of gunk off, especially the beads. Then a good wash of the interior with dome carb cleaner spray. Let dry well for a while and then paint/rub down completely with Loctite 290. It will penetrate any porosity. Of course allow no build up in bead area. Finding a small leak 5/10 psi a month is not easy. Soap might not do it. Specialty leak detectors like "Snoop" really help then it is staring for minutes at each area. I found a leak on a wheel that had been driving the owner nuts for a couple of years. It took a half hour of careful inspection with a quality leak solution. It was bead area corrosion.
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37481.../dp/B0002KKTRM
https://www.amazon.com/Snoop-Leak-8O...+leak+detector
Many years ago a car co. 'painted' their differential cases with wicking Locktite because of oil leaks due to casting porosity.
beech likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old May 3rd, 2018, 11:37 pm

If you are using aftermarket metal valve stems, some bmw rims have a rib or the casting shape is dome metal there the stem outer nut goes to secure the stem. This area needs to be filed flat, if not the stem can move sideways with normal air addition and gauging. This will loosen the stem. I recommend staying with German rubber valves if this is the case.

Beech

post #22 of 24 Old May 4th, 2018, 6:58 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
If you are using aftermarket metal valve stems, some bmw rims have a rib or the casting shape is dome metal there the stem outer nut goes to secure the stem. This area needs to be filed flat, if not the stem can move sideways with normal air addition and gauging. This will loosen the stem. I recommend staying with German rubber valves if this is the case.
I bought the Kurvey Girl stems because I had read here or somewhere that they fit the LT wheels without modification of the wheels. This seems to be the case as the metal collar just fits inside the rib ends.

They came with no torque spec and I did not want to over tighten and crush the rubber seals. I suspect I didn't tighten them enough or didn't tighten the jam nut enough. They held for six years. Just need to check them at each tire change in the future and use Loctite should they loosen again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	708E1103-D662-46BD-BC0D-0DA48D1365EC_1525437971390.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	143762  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; May 4th, 2018 at 1:27 pm. Reason: Add picture
post #23 of 24 Old May 5th, 2018, 8:38 am

Hope that your air leaks are now fixed! Nice tire changer. What brand and where did you get that?

Thanks

Steve
post #24 of 24 Old May 5th, 2018, 9:00 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekremer View Post
Hope that your air leaks are now fixed! Nice tire changer. What brand and where did you get that?

Thanks

Steve
NoMar bought online. Once you learn the technique, it works great. The key is to follow their instructions precisely. The first time I was unable to install the stiff LT tires with their mount bar. They show an alternate technique using their long pry bars. I bought the bars and they work, but I found that my issue with the mount bar was trying to move too fast and not using their paste lube on the drop center. I tried using just a spray lube, but I think that was drying too fast. If the tire can't slide easily in the drop center, life gets hard.

I now can mount the tires using just their mount bar. Lube the tire and rim per their videos using their paste lube. Use the mount bar, but don't rush it. Just bump it an inch with your hip and wait. You will see the tire relax as it slips around in the drop center. Bump the bar again and wait. A few iterations of this and the bead will slip over the rim. It takes a little effort to be sure, but you don't need to be the Incredible Hulk to make it work.

Using too much muscle just twists the mount bar out of position and risks breaking a tip. Ask me how I know. I haven't broken a top yet, but I had a hard time keeping the mount bar from twisting at first. I was using too little lube, the wrong lube and trying to move the mount bar in one fast motion like a tire machine moves. That didn't work well. Much better to bump the bar with your hip and give the tire time to respond. And if at all possible, let the tires sit in the sun for an hour. This makes a huge difference.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in