Electronic Copy of Owners Manual? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Electronic Copy of Owners Manual?

Picked up a new (to me) LT and it did not have an owners manual . . . . I know that most of them are limited in their value but some basic pieces of information such as locations of things to check, pressures, volumes, etc. make it a nice reference - especially for a newbie.

I have not been able to find any for sale and wondered if there was an electronic version . . . . if not, if some had one I could borrow, I'd make a .PDF file and make it available.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-SC
Picked up a new (to me) LT and it did not have an owners manual . . . . I know that most of them are limited in their value but some basic pieces of information such as locations of things to check, pressures, volumes, etc. make it a nice reference - especially for a newbie.

I have not been able to find any for sale and wondered if there was an electronic version . . . . if not, if some had one I could borrow, I'd make a .PDF file and make it available.

Thanks in advance

Andy
Andy - I don't know the ramifications, if any, of making a .pdf file available on line. The booklets I have do say that permission must be acquired from BMW AG in order to reproduce wholly or in part. Maybe one of the copyright fellers around here can say. In the meantime, I have an extra set of the three 'booklets' that came with ole Toad (a '99 model) --- the Rider's Manual; the Service and Technical Booklet; and the Consurmer Warranty Information booklet. Both have been used to some extent, butt still functional. I'd be glad to loan you one of 'em for a period of time; just return all three when you're finished. PM me with a snail mail addy and I'll pop them in the USPS Tuesday or Wednesday.

BTW - don't know as I know what year model LT that you have, and there will be some slight differences as year models progress. You might wanna confirm some of the information to be valid as applies to the newer model LTs.
post #3 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 9:47 pm

cd manuals o bay,cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Andy - I don't know the ramifications, if any, of making a .pdf file available on line. The booklets I have do say that permission must be acquired from BMW AG in order to reproduce wholly or in part. Maybe one of the copyright fellers around here can say. In the meantime, I have an extra set of the three 'booklets' that came with ole Toad (a '99 model) --- the Rider's Manual; the Service and Technical Booklet; and the Consurmer Warranty Information booklet. Both have been used to some extent, butt still functional. I'd be glad to loan you one of 'em for a period of time; just return all three when you're finished. PM me with a snail mail addy and I'll pop them in the USPS Tuesday or Wednesday.

BTW - don't know as I know what year model LT that you have, and there will be some slight differences as year models progress. You might wanna confirm some of the information to be valid as applies to the newer model LTs.
there are some manuals on ebay for auction and sale with buy it now auction,you don't have to wait untill end of auction. picked 1 up last week for under $10

post #4 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 9:53 pm

The owners manual is available from A&s BMW for $26.
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=29861

You may want to pick up a Clymer service manual around $40,
that will have everything you need.
there was a thread a while ago on how to get one cheap, do a search for Clymer

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 18 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Service manuals in .PDF

I did pick up a .PDF version of the service manual for around $15 with postage - 450+ pages and very high quality scans . . . . . . wanted to the owners manual for reference as well.

Thanks for the feedback . . . .

Andy
post #6 of 18 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 12:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Be aware that the "manuals" offered on eBay are illegal copies. Sure they're cheap, but you're just supporting some kid with a CD burner and a shaky sense of right and wrong. Your call.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 18 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 6:51 am Thread Starter

I see that . . . was hoping it was an Owners Manual - already bought the Clymers

As you said, that is obviously what it was. I had already bought the Clymer's manual as it's a bit of a challenge to use a laptop in the garage . . . and I have had good luck with the Clymer manuals on other bikes. Seems the owners manual has more info than the ones that come with bikes from the Far East. My F650's manual was quite useful.

Only reason I asked was that I was able to get the manual for my Voyager XII thru the Voyager forum and it was a help.

Andy

Last edited by Andy-SC; Dec 25th, 2006 at 11:42 am.
post #8 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Any luck yet?

Andy (or anyone else...), have you found a .pdf owner's manual yet? I just brought home an '01 and it came with no manuals. I found one online for the comm system but I too need the regular owner's manual so I can figger this thing out! I'll order from the dealer if I have to but I don't want to wait that long.

Rick
post #9 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 1:06 pm

Talking

For all you legal eagles out there(no offense)You can get them from your dealer for about $25.00 a pop.
post #10 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 1:16 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcanup
For all you legal eagles out there(no offense)You can get them from your dealer for about $25.00 a pop.
That's just for a BMW rider's manual. The service manual that Ken was refering to is over 100 bucks and because it comes on CDROM and not in book form any more, lots of people are selling them illegally for cheap prices

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #11 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 5:11 pm

For my 2000 LT, it seems there is 1) the Owner's Manual, 2) a "Service and Technical Booklet" that includes some service information that's not covered in the Owner's Manual, and 3) a Radio Operation manual that holds such secrets as how to adjust the amount of volume gain in the speed-sensitive control. When I got the bike last month, I got one copy of item 1 (that had fallen into the gap between the passenger seat and the trunk, two copies of item 2 in the document cubby in the trunk lid, and some photocopies of some pages from item 3.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #12 of 18 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 6:08 pm

I recently picked up a 99LT, no manuals. I'm full of very basic questions, likely too dumb to post, something an owner's manual would fix.
Ah well - figuring it out while the poor thing is freezing in the garage is half the fun. Heck, just the other day I discovered how to open the seat. Woo-hoo! Now if I only knew what the weird button is on the underside of the seat, with air flowing through the symbol....
post #13 of 18 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:40 am

If that question was serious, it's the seat heater. Rock the switch forward for low heat, rock the switch back (the side with the two raised bars) for high heat. Look under your passenger's seat and see if your lucky passenger has a bun toaster, too.

The symbol is such because they used the same switch that is used for the grip heaters on other bikes.

I can tell you from experience here, NO question is too dumb to ask.

Really.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #14 of 18 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 9:27 am

A few minutes of searching online will bring up this link
http://www.carloboldetti.com/bike/manuals.htm
very useful for all sorts of bikes, and from there you can get to this PDF
http://bmw.k100rs.free.fr/files/repa...00LT%20ENG.pdf
for a full 1200LT workshop manual. It may not be the latest, but very handy.
Hope this does not break any rules, but hey, it's out there for the finding. Just gotta luv the internet!

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #15 of 18 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
If that question was serious, it's the seat heater. Rock the switch forward for low heat, rock the switch back (the side with the two raised bars) for high heat. Look under your passenger's seat and see if your lucky passenger has a bun toaster, too.

The symbol is such because they used the same switch that is used for the grip heaters on other bikes.

I can tell you from experience here, NO question is too dumb to ask.

Really.
Wicked! Thanks for that. It was a serious Q. I wasn't sure if I had heated seats or not. Not sure if grips are heated, either, or where the control is.
Example of pathetic: not sure how to lift the pax seat. Like I said, it's really cold right now and I'm afraid of breaking the brittle plastics by yanking on the wrong thing.
Damn this winter crap...
post #16 of 18 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 8:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeister

Not sure if grips are heated, either, or where the control is.
Example of pathetic: not sure how to lift the pax seat. Like I said, it's really cold right now and I'm afraid of breaking the brittle plastics by yanking on the wrong thing.
Damn this winter crap...
Grip switch is by your right thumb.. looks like a grip with wind blowing through it.

On the rear seat - two 5MM allen head screws where the main seat rests and it easily lifts out (don't forget to unplug the seat heater connector on the left side).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 18 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 9:20 pm

Shop manual

Try this link: <link to copyrighted material removed>

Last edited by eljeffe; Feb 23rd, 2007 at 9:56 pm.
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 4:32 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-L
Andy (or anyone else...), have you found a .pdf owner's manual yet? I just brought home an '01 and it came with no manuals. I found one online for the comm system but I too need the regular owner's manual so I can figger this thing out! I'll order from the dealer if I have to but I don't want to wait that long.

Rick
I have been trying to find a comm manual for the '99 for some time. I have trouble getting the comm sys to work. I am hoping the comm manual will help. I did find a comm manual but it is for an '05 or later. It is in pdf format and the wiring diagrams are unreadable. Perhaps you can lead me to the right place to get a comm manual for my '99. You can email me at [email protected]. hope to hear from you soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in