LT Virgin needs some ideas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2018, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

LT Virgin needs some ideas

So I'm gonna "upgrade" my '09 LT

Hate the BMW NAV GPS so I'm gonna add a Garmin Zumo 395LM
Gotta wire the new power cable. Any ideas where to get switched power?

Also wanna put a USB power socket in the CD compartment. I have a USB
that attaches to a battery tender pigtail. Any ideas how to make it look O.K.?

I'm one of "those guys" that would pay you to do it for me but not the dealer.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Re: LT Virgin needs some ideas

You need a fuse block that is turned on via a trigger relay. Here is a start but spend some time googling MC fuse blocks and look at other forums besides searching here. Plenty of folks have done this, no wheel being re invented.
You can trigger your relay power to the fuse block via some source that goes hot when the key goes on. Neat job counts. Use some 3m friction tape to shield wire runs. Tie wraps count, follow existing wire bundles. Size your wire well. No need for anything larger than 16 ga. Mostly 18 will work well. Do the electrical math.
https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html
There is so much equipment out there for what you want to do, people here are astounded you asked! It will be fun and take your time to do a nice job that accomplishes what you want. Make a Map of your work so later you know what happened. Do not wire over stuff that has to be removed for maintenance, find good routes.
Run your add on devices from your fuse block circuits. Run your ground wires all the way back to the block along the supply line. Do not cheat and ground anywhere you want. Use brown wire for grounds.
There are electronic fuse blocks out there if you are into tech.
read this so you understand why you want a trigger relay to fire up your fuse block and isolate it:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2018, 10:08 pm

I wanted a USB charger in my top case but the only existing power is to the light which is hot all the time so I pulled the light, installed a push button switch and put in a 2 port with voltage readout. Used standard spade connectors so it all plugs directly into the existing wires in case I want to replace the light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02492.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	142578  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2018, 11:05 pm

Regarding the GPS hookup, I took the stingray off and wired directly to the plug from BMW for the factory GPS (left front side of the bike when sitting on it). I bought the cable from the dealer or Amazon (can't remember) and connected the new plug to my GPS power cable so it could plug into the bike harness. Worked great for what I was trying to do. YMMV

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 10th, 2018, 11:38 pm

The core electrical component for my accessory package is a Fuzeblock...Welcome to Fuzeblocks - Out Stuff blows so yours doesn't It makes things rather easy to connect each component either switched or unswitched. As for the GPS power, I have chosen to have mine unswitched for the simple reason that I can do whatever GPS function I need without turning on the bike. Sure, you can ask...what happens when you forget to turned the GPS off when you park the bike? Answer...it will only happen once.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in