mystery connector on fuel injector harness - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By anarchosteff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2018, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Question mystery connector on fuel injector harness

I'm putting my 2000 LT back together after a main seal/clutch plate/gearbox job.

I was about to start plugging the fuel injector connectors in when, to my dismay, I counted (6) identical connectors. Obviously, (4) of those are for the injectors, and the other two are for something else.

I'm pretty certain I know which ones are for the injectors, but I'm not too sure about the other two. We'll call those "A" and "B".

One of them is for the temperature sensor on the air cleaner box. I'm sure once I mount the air cleaner box I'll be able to tell if its connector "A" or "B". However, I've been looking around and I can't figure out where I disconnected the other one from.

-Steve
Titusville, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180408_171738_Film4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	142353  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Garage
Re: mystery connector on fuel injector harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchosteff View Post
I'm putting my 2000 LT back together after a main seal/clutch plate/gearbox job.

I was about to start plugging the fuel injector connectors in when, to my dismay, I counted (6) identical connectors. Obviously, (4) of those are for the injectors, and the other two are for something else.

I'm pretty certain I know which ones are for the injectors, but I'm not too sure about the other two. We'll call those "A" and "B".

One of them is for the temperature sensor on the air cleaner box. I'm sure once I mount the air cleaner box I'll be able to tell if its connector "A" or "B". However, I've been looking around and I can't figure out where I disconnected the other one from.

-Steve
Titusville, FL
I think one goes to that "vacuum thingy" at top of your picture (probably the short cable) - mine was green w/white stripe (and some other color I can't see in my pics).

HTH.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2018, 7:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

on the air box some place ...air temp or something like that.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2018, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
I think one goes to that "vacuum thingy" at top of your picture (probably the short cable) - mine was green w/white stripe (and some other color I can't see in my pics).

HTH.
That connector is the one just above where it says "injector 2". I forgot to label it in the pic.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2018, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Seems that the long one, "B", is the one that is the temp sensor on the air cleaner box. Perhaps I'll spot my "A" guy in the morning.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchosteff View Post

-Steve
Titusville, FL
Because the 3 or 4 pins connectors are pretty much impossible to confuse, lets concentrate on the many 2 pins connectors of this left engine side:

1) A single 2 pins connector for the sensor attached to front of AIR-BOX is easy because its wire is longer than all other 2 pins connectors of this side. Just to be 100% sure, confirm that you see 1 wire BROW-YELLOW and the other wire BROWN-BLUE (unique combo of colors for this side)

2) All 4 injectors connectors look the same except for minor wire length difference because of location they go (injector 1 to 4 front front to rear). They all have the same wire colors for their 2 wires (GREEN-WHITE and YELLOW-GRAY). Because these BOSCH MOTRONIC are batch injection system, you could plug any of these 4 into any injectors and it would work the same. However, the wire length from harness is the clue which goes where (avoid undue pulling or stress on wires).

3) FINALLY, the remaining 2 pins connector that looks identical to the 4 injectors connector goes to the Charcoal canister vent valve (also called PULSE valve in manual). This PULSE valve is attached in front of the throttle bodies and has 2 vacuum hose (linked into the 4 small vacuum hose setup on 1 side - to the charcoal canister on the other side).

IMPORTANT NOTE 1: To avoid confusing the PULSE valve connector with one of the 4 injectors connector, confirm that this one has different color wires (1 is GREEN-WHITE, but the other wire is GREEN-BLUE).

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: if your K1200LT was not built for the USA market ..OR.. if it has been modified by previous owner to remove charcoal-canister, then you may NOT have a PULSE-valve in front of the throttle bodies. In such case, the connector can be left opened and zip-tied to fuel rail.

I can see a PULSE-Valve in your Photo, but I want these instructions to be "generic" and be able to help someone else in future that may have an Euro spec (or CANADA Spec) K1200LT where no PULSE-Valve is installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200LT_Pulse-valve_Canister-Hoses.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	142361  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Apr 8th, 2018 at 8:14 pm.
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 8th, 2018, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the detailed clarification John. I've updated my pic to show the solved mystery.

-Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	harness.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	142377  
Patric likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 9th, 2018, 3:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just make sure the injector connectors (or all of them in fact) are fully locked on. Give each one a gentle tug after connecting.

I did not get one injector connector seated fully and the bike ran good until I hit 4,000 RPM and the bike ran like crap. Below that it was fine. Found the connector pulled off number 1 real easy. Seated it properly and no problems. But it took a while to figure that out and I was on a trip to the mountains!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in