Power Jack Capacity - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 3:58 am Thread Starter

Power Jack Capacity

What can you run off the power jack by the left leg. Am thinking about heated Gerbings gear. Thought I had read you can only run about half of it at a time, but can't find the thread. Forties and up, I don't find a need for heat, but thinking of doing some cold weather riding this winter. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 6:00 am

Gary:

I use the direct battery connect with in-line fuse for the Gerbing's gear. You get one with any piece of their gear that you buy. I run it under my seat and have the plug-in come up at the front of the seat. Much, much easier to plug in when you get on the bike than to be reaching down along your left leg to fiddle with the accessory plug! Same for my SO. Her's comes up between the front and rear seat. Also right in front of her. In the summer when not in use, I just tie wrap the cords under the seat and out of sight. The charging capacity of the LT is outstanding, as much as some cars. 700 amps comes to mind, but that stuff is out of my field!

Can the LT handle the heated gear? Absolutely! My normal winter "load".....heated jacket liner, and socks for the both of us, her heated gloves plus both seats and my grips. On really cold days add my heated gloves. Never been any issues with drainage on the battery, even with all this gear.

Dick
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:04 am

Having owned a couple of BMW heated vests and now a Gerbing jacket liner,
I can say you've made an excellent choice, however you may want to also consider a thermostat for the Gerbings, without it their gear will cook you, it works that good.

As far as what you can run of the LT, I've not even come close to the limit with my jacket liner and a heated pants and jacket combination for her, heated seats, handgrips, stereo, a half a dozen extra lights on the front of the bike and all the taillights and marker lights on the trailer, my voltage meter still reads 13.4 at speed and 12.4 at idle

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:29 am

IIRC, the power outlet shares a 15 amp circuit with the rear outlet, the radio, and the top case (that's close, but probably not exact).

You & the passenger should be able to wear heated gear from head to toe and not exceed 15 amps. If you do, simply run it directly from the battery with their included hookup.

This thread discusses some of this. I thought I had posted a spreadsheet of power requirements, by Gerbing product, but can't find it at the moment.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 8:36 am

The left side power outlet shares a 15A fuse with the wind screen motor. The map light, top case light, and top case power outlet share another 15A fuse.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #6 of 10 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
The charging capacity of the LT is outstanding, as much as some cars. 700 amps comes to mind, but that stuff is out of my field!
More around 67-80 amps and 840 watts....700 amps would power a small town.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 1:30 pm

I may just have large busy feet but I went the same way as Dick after kicking the powerlet plug loose a few times and worrying I might eventually damage the receptacle.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #8 of 10 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
More around 67-80 amps and 840 watts....700 amps would power a small town.
Interesting the the new GT has even more output. To the turn of 945 watts! Woohoo!!!

As for the topic of this thread, connect all of your heated gear DIRECTLY to the battery. It is much more effective that way.
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 2:35 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I do have a dual thermostat, just have never used any of it. Think I will just go ahead and wire it to the battery based on comments here.
post #10 of 10 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Interesting the the new GT has even more output. To the turn of 945 watts! Woohoo!!!

As for the topic of this thread, connect all of your heated gear DIRECTLY to the battery. It is much more effective that way.
What you didn't tell us, old buddy, is that thanks to the wonderful Canbus system on your new GT, you CAN'T plug in a full Gerbing suit (pants and jacket) into the 12V DC accessory socket because it will draw too much current and shut off. We don't have that problem on the LT.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in