Glass work - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beemer tiger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 4th, 2018, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Glass work

I just picked up a trailer to pull behind my LT. it has some damage and I’ve done some glass work in the past but a couple of these I need just a little guidance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ll start here). Just wondering if I need to cut away the piece in the first pic. The second looks like it was originally filled with resin and shaped if that makes sense. Thanks in advance. Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1522873812887.jpg (1.08 MB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg image_1522873838324.jpg (1.08 MB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg F0048373-F70F-4EBE-900E-06E52F44B684_1522874082697.jpg (1.68 MB, 92 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 4th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Re: Glass work

Once you get it repaired you will have a great trailer. I have one like it and it pulls great. It will cost you 2 or 3 miles per gallon. It is nice to have those power assisted brakes pulling a trailer. I never know it's back there unless I am backing up.dd
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 4th, 2018, 8:15 pm

I am no expert, but you may be dealing with SMC which is similar to glass but uses different products to repair your local auto body supply house could help.

05 Dark Graphite LT

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2018, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Took trailer to repair shop, dang i wish i would have sat down... $2000 min in repair work, yup I'll step up and do the work.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 5th, 2018, 11:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstrman View Post
Took trailer to repair shop, dang i wish i would have sat down... $2000 min in repair work, yup I'll step up and do the work.
I'll not claim "expert" regarding the skill required for repair either. However, one of my (too many) careers was in selling equipment, tooling, and supplies to manufacturers of such products. Depending on volume, these trailers were probably built with the outer shell being done in a mold. In the process, the mold is meticulously cleaned, polished, and kept free of contamination. At least, the outer shell is formed in the mold possibly using a fine layer of non-woven fiber & resin. Additional layers could be applied for strength.

I had one customer who used a process called Reactive Injection Molding. That is where the mold was sprayed with the finish coat by a spray gun, and then the mold was closed, the liquified substrate (molten plastic) was pumped in, cured under controlled heating, and after a set time, the mold was separated, to reveal a shiny finished tractor fender. In this case, it was not fiberglass, but some kind of thermoset plastic compound.

This trailer looks much like it was built in a process similar to boat hull manufacturing. Repairing it will be similar to the challenges of repairing a damaged boat hull. If you have or know of a marine repair or supply shop, perhaps you can get some good advice, and purchase a kit to do the repair yourself. Key will be to follow the instructions, get the glass substrate properly prepped, matting wet, layered in without air bubbles, and within "set-up" time of the resin. In addition to the chemical ratios of the resin/catalyst, fiberglass tends to have an overall "cure" time that must be allowed to run its course before final finishing. If you try to finish it too soon, a shrinkage line could form in the repair area. Follow the instructions, and it should do fine.

If you are an incurable tinkerer (like me), the repair itself could become an enjoyable adventure in itself. Sometimes, "the story" of a project is more important than "perfection." If you are a perfectionist...then this could be miserable drudgery, and perhaps better left for a professional.
beech likes this.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 6th, 2018, 12:18 am Thread Starter

Thank you for your post. I own a 27ft sailboat that that i have completely restored and had to do some hull work. You are right the journey is what its all about. The work is not perfect but I love it. I hope this journey will be the same.
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 20th, 2018, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

The journey has been amazing restoring this trailer. It is now ready for paint.. It needs new tires and it has 2 ply on it now and im wondering about staying with that or would 4 or 6 ply be to stiff? any thoughts?
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 21st, 2018, 9:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstrman View Post
The journey has been amazing restoring this trailer. It is now ready for paint.. It needs new tires and it has 2 ply on it now and im wondering about staying with that or would 4 or 6 ply be to stiff? any thoughts?
If two ply tires are what the factory used, I would stay with them, particularly if this trailer has suspension. The suspension and tires should be a tuned unit and changing tires can upset the balance.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in