Best way to get stuck trans drain plug out? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By LarryJa
  • 2 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Best way to get stuck trans drain plug out?

My preseason maintenance is progressing well, so far.
This morning, I thought I'd make good use of a rainy, snowy morning & knock off the trans lube change. Everything went fine until it got to loosening the drain plug. That mother's on there!!! Straight torque &/or heavy hammer impacts to the wrench had no effect on it at all...
The bike's a 2000 &, I'll bet, there's no sealing washer on there & it's been on for years & years of heat & cool cycles!!! So, that babes on!!!
Once again, I am certain that I am not anywhere near the 1st to have a 1200LT trans drain plug "locked on"..
So, before I break out the torch & the freeze&release can, what's the experienced wisdom on getting this drain plug out?
BTW: when I pulled the fill plug(easily) the clean 20ml of overfill came out quite clean, for whatever that's worth...

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 11:51 am

Re: Best way to get stuck trans drain plug out?

I believe you are talking about the large plug on the brick engine. It has no crush washer and is installed with a fairly high torque. I seem to remember in the upper 30's ft/lbs.. I think you are on the right track with heat and cooling. The aluminum of the case should expand a little bit more than the steel plug with a heat gun. There are cooling sprays available. Loctite has one and I use bubble gum remover spray. (I'm about to say something that I am sure is obvious to you but just checking, it is upside down and you need to check your direction. On the other hand sometimes tightening pressure helps break things loose too)
Smart jerk works better than slow pressure.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Thx for tbe quick response!
I've probably put about 150 ft-lbs on this already.
This plug is really stuck! But, I'm going to give it a try with a stronger wrench & a heavy hammer, before bringing out the torch....

'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"

Gone, but sorely missed

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

I got the 14mm hex bit into this stronger wrench & smacked it with that sledge hammer head. Bam!
Onward!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180402_130143_1522688541583.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	478.6 KB
ID:	142026  
Patric likes this.

'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"

Gone, but sorely missed
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 2:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

That plug can be fun sometimes ... I put it in with a torque wrench, take it out with a 3/4" drive rachet handle.
I use my 3/4" drive rachet a lot taking things off like the rear wheel stuff like that .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 2:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJa View Post
I got the 14mm hex bit into this stronger wrench & smacked it with that sledge hammer head. Bam!
Onward!
That is still a wimpy wrench. I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar (they're called that for a reason) and mine has always come out without undue stress.
mtrevelino and vernvernvern like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 3:32 pm

I always used a 1/2 inch breaker bar with a "cheater" bar (piece of either 1-inch or 1-1/2-inch copper pipe about a foot long). Always did the trick. Also, make sure you loosen or remove the fill plug first. I always made a mess when I changed the fluid as the center stand is in the way. I placed a piece of cardboard down to help protect the garage floor from oil.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #8 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 4:00 pm

Garage

Just did mine a few weeks ago and it was probably on there for 10 years at least. Long cheater bar and a hammer shot got it. Next time it should be cake! I always use some PB Blaster, then heat and a couple shots with a hammer to shock it before trying to loosen a stuck fastener. Works like a charm........mostly!

George

2004 K1200LT - Gray Ghost
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

The 14mm socket I got wasn't short enough to fit in with my breaker bar.
So, I whacked the hex bit out of it. Then, I tried loosening the drain plug with a box wrench & a cheater pipe on the end. That almost snapped the wrench. Also tried smacking the box wrench with a good sized ball peen. No luck.
I picked up that stiff combination wrench & a couple of good smacks with the sledge head did the trick.
If I can find a shorter 14mm hex socket in the future, I'll be going with a breaker bar too.
Now, I'm on to the shifter maintenance & airbox temp sensor wire disconnect on the other side. I bought the sealed ball linkage set. So, after I clean & lube everything, I'll keep the original as a spare.
Thx guys!

'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"

Gone, but sorely missed
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 5:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Glad you got that out OK. As for the air box temp sensor, check this bulletin and see if any of these mods have been done already to this bike. You can do the mods OR you can disconnect the air box temp sensor but you CANNOT do both without risking detonation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200tech_info.pdf (557.2 KB, 33 views)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2018, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

My initial ownership maintenance continued today with shifter maintenance/upgrade completed. I pulled off all the left side Tupperware to also check out the coolant reservoir, etc.
Boy, getting the front screw started on the handrail is a real PITA!
So far, I did not see the "Brown loop" wire, connected or clipped.
My LT was mfr'd Jan '00. So, if the ecu hasn't been updated, I'll be pulling the airbox temp sensor wire. However, I haven't gotten a GS911 yet. So, I cannot yet verify it's version yet.
The only essential stuff left on my list is to screw anchor the mirrors & make sure the rear disc abs sensor clearance is in tolerance. That looks a little wide to me, after putting on the ebc disc. & I finally got a set of nonmagnetic feelers.
Then, it's ready for the Road.
After that, I'll get to the gps mount, usb connections, conventional 12V outlets, etc.
But, all is going well(except the weather). So, I may get some seat time in the near future!!!

'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"

Gone, but sorely missed

Last edited by LarryJa; Apr 5th, 2018 at 11:19 pm. Reason: Clarification
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2018, 7:59 am

Quote:
My LT was mfr'd Jan '00. So, if the ecu hasn't been updated, I'll be pulling the airbox temp sensor wire. However, I haven't gotten a GS911 yet. So, I cannot yet verify it's version yet.
A K1200LT built before JULY-2000 does not have the new so-called "dual-program" ECU and a matching BROWN-WIRE in the harness. HOWEVER, it may have an update ECU installed later by a dealer based on the Service-Bulletin.

SO... once you get a hold of a GS911, you need to check:
1) if you ECU shows a number ending with "478" or "194", it is the older "single-program" ECU. Newer ECU will end with a number like "048" or "984" for a 1st generation K1200LT like yours. See attached photo for GS911 screen data relevant for this....

2) In addition to the above, if you find you have a newer ECU, you ALSO need to remove TOP-BOX to check if the YELLOW Cat-Code Plug was removed as specified in Service-Bulletin (to trigger the 2nd ECU map).

3) Assuming the 2nd map is triggered (new ECU and Yellow plug removed), you MUST make 100% sure the Air-Box Temp Sensor is plugged AND functional. Otherwise you will have double effect - this may cause serious engine issues. GS911 "real-time" data screen will show actual value read by Air-Box Temp sensor even before engine is started (as long as ignition is ON).

A constant value of 20 celcius (68 F) is suspect as this the default value generated by ECU when the Air-Box Temp sensor is seen as defective (or unplugged).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT (2002) AutoScan_GS911.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	142170  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2018, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Thx sailor!
I should be able to read my ecu version well before we get into hot weather temps, especially how this Spring has been going....brrrr...

'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"

Gone, but sorely missed
post #14 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2018, 1:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
My preseason maintenance is progressing well, so far.
This morning, I thought I'd make good use of a rainy, snowy morning & knock off the trans lube change. Everything went fine until it got to loosening the drain plug. That mother's on there!!! Straight torque &/or heavy hammer impacts to the wrench had no effect on it at all...
The bike's a 2000 &, I'll bet, there's no sealing washer on there & it's been on for years & years of heat & cool cycles!!! So, that babes on!!!
Once again, I am certain that I am not anywhere near the 1st to have a 1200LT trans drain plug "locked on"..
So, before I break out the torch & the freeze&release can, what's the experienced wisdom on getting this drain plug out?
BTW: when I pulled the fill plug(easily) the clean 20ml of overfill came out quite clean, for whatever that's worth...
If you have the room or can make room an impact gun could work too. Smaller battery operated "Rattle Guns" are nice to have

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2018, 9:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I believe you are talking about the large plug on the brick engine. It has no crush washer and is installed with a fairly high torque. I seem to remember in the upper 30's ft/lbs.. I think you are on the right track with heat and cooling. The aluminum of the case should expand a little bit more than the steel plug with a heat gun. There are cooling sprays available. Loctite has one and I use bubble gum remover spray. (I'm about to say something that I am sure is obvious to you but just checking, it is upside down and you need to check your direction. On the other hand sometimes tightening pressure helps break things loose too)
Smart jerk works better than slow pressure.
A smart jerk like me used a cheater bar...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in