• 2 Post By Jabrown
  • 2 Post By Mark65
  • 1 Post By Wazza
  • 1 Post By mondrage
  • 4 Post By jers99lt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 30th, 2018, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

Don't Ever Try to Sell Your K1200LT

Haven't had an issue with the bike in years. Maintenance has been simple and specs have all been acceptable. I mentioned just once to my wife that I was considering selling the old girl. Well let me tell you, she heard it loud and clear.

Over the winter in a heated garage.
- Front Brake line blew on first use - New set of Spieglers on the way
-(granted, BMW known issue)
- Oil Pump seal Failure
- Transmission oil on the floor too.

Will be getting the Oil Pump and Brake lines on soon to ride it 35 miles, to tear it down and replace the clutch and any seal along the way. Hopefully it's just the output shaft, but I doubt it.
- Will also be drilling Weep holes for everything too.

Don't let her hear you, she has feelings too. I feel like the bike is looking at me with a sad droopy faced dog expression.
ibbones and beech like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 30th, 2018, 3:48 pm

I got reminded that this is not just limited to my LT(Kitty). Last week, I got my new BT020 rear tire. So, we took the rear wheel & it over to the shop, to get it mounted & balanced.
On the way back, my A6 Quattro(Beauty) realized that I hadn't been paying as much attention to her as I was to Kitty. So, she popped her HP fuel pump!
Now, I've got the new pump, a replacement gasket for her leaky oil filter housing & an expensive coolant crossover pipe to replace the one that breaks on fuel pump replacements. Whenever I get a couple of clear days, Beauty will have my undivided attention!
Meanwhile, the GF(Isabelle) was with me when I got that tire mounted & knows how much time & money I've spent on LT & A6 parts & pieces lately. So, guess who else I have to make sure, also, does not feel "neglected"?!
Now, I guess we're lucky to have such problems.....

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 30th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Re: Don't Ever Try to Sell Your K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJa View Post
I got reminded that this is not just limited to my LT(Kitty). Last week, I got my new BT020 rear tire. So, we took the rear wheel & it over to the shop, to get it mounted & balanced.
On the way back, my A6 Quattro(Beauty) realized that I hadn't been paying as much attention to her as I was to Kitty. So, she popped her HP fuel pump!
Now, I've got the new pump, a replacement gasket for her leaky oil filter housing & an expensive coolant crossover pipe to replace the one that breaks on fuel pump replacements. Whenever I get a couple of clear days, Beauty will have my undivided attention!
Meanwhile, the GF(Isabelle) was with me when I got that tire mounted & knows how much time & money I've spent on LT & A6 parts & pieces lately. So, guess who else I have to make sure, also, does not feel "neglected"?!
Now, I guess we're lucky to have such problems.....
Anyone who says machinery can't hear, and respond, is an idiot. I can't begin to count the number of times a vehicle, a power tool, any number of pieces of equipment have noticed, or heard that I was paying serious attention to another piece of equipment, and broken just to spite me. They're in cahoots, I tell ya!
Patric and niel_petersen like this.

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
RA#44657
AMA#3647653

Let's Ride!

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 31st, 2018, 2:16 am

Funny subject. I've always thought that your vehicles have feelings. Many times over the years as I have been getting ready to trade one car in for another, the car I'm trading will break down on the day of the trade.
Just before Christmas last year I drove down the coast to have a look at the LT that I bought. I put a deposit down on it and drove home. The very next morning I went to start my car to go to work and it wouldn't start. After the long trip down and back it decided to die. Only a flat battery but still I though it was odd.
Two days later I drove back down the coast with a mate to pick up the bike. I drove my car and my mate rode my new bike home. The very next day after that as I was driving home from a job my car just died at the traffic lights. It was out of action for 3 days. At that point I thought my car was just jealous that I had a new love.
Mark65 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 31st, 2018, 5:16 pm

Don't Ever Try to Sell Your K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Funny subject. I've always thought that your vehicles have feelings. Many times over the years as I have been getting ready to trade one car in for another, the car I'm trading will break down on the day of the trade.

Just before Christmas last year I drove down the coast to have a look at the LT that I bought. I put a deposit down on it and drove home. The very next morning I went to start my car to go to work and it wouldn't start. After the long trip down and back it decided to die. Only a flat battery but still I though it was odd.

Two days later I drove back down the coast with a mate to pick up the bike. I drove my car and my mate rode my new bike home. The very next day after that as I was driving home from a job my car just died at the traffic lights. It was out of action for 3 days. At that point I thought my car was just jealous that I had a new love.

Exactly because of that, I donít sell any of them.
Sold my DRZ and bought it back. Great bike.
My Ď99 323i was all neglected so I replaced everything but the body. Including a new engine. Happy now.
The A8 is happy with all the attention and the GS, LT and K12R get lots of love.
As Steve McQueen said:
ďYou canít treat cars like people, cars need loveĒ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mark65 likes this.

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
Sachs MadAss FY125-20
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mondrage; Mar 31st, 2018 at 5:35 pm.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 1st, 2018, 12:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cars or bikes, I give 'em a pat and a fond thought as I walk by them in the garage. Doesn't hurt. ;-)

Have fun,
Jer
radar41, Jabrown, Voyager and 1 others like this.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 16th, 2018, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Update: rebuilt the oil/water pump, and replaced the front brake lines with Spieglers. I will get to the back lines after chasing down the leaking seal on the transmission.

When the weather turns for the better (It snowed this morning. It was 70 on Friday), I will ride it down to the car wash without the fairing to give it a nice bath. Since, fluids of some sort, Litterally almost every fluid the bike has has leaked or spread itself somewhere on the external bits. Brake fluid Check. Antifreeze Check. Engine Oil Check. Transmission Oil Check. Fork Tubes Check (still not sure why they are still weeping a little oil).

The list is shorter on what hasn't leaked this winter. Rear Shock, Slave Cyl, Final Drive. The Final Drive is probably just waiting for me to put it back on the bike and ride it before the bearing goes. I might be a bit pessimistic today.

Looking for a piece of wood to knock on....

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in