Hypothetical Rant - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 7:07 am Thread Starter

Hypothetical Rant

It bothers me that the members of this site can pictorially put together great information, along with easy to understand written instructions, on how to do routine and not so route service and enhancement tasks on the K1200LT and yet the manufactures, who should be able to do much better, DON'T.

Guess they like jargon and don't want us to touch "their" bike. Oh well, enough of my rant.

Hope everyone has a great holiday and a safe and healthy New Year. Thanks for all of the previous help.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 7:17 am

Total Agreement Here!

Dano,

I agree...the BMW factory manual is one of the worst manuals I have ever seen. Very few clear pictures...vague instructions at times (i.e. - "remove Transmission").

Thank you to all the people on this site who make up for the deficiencies! It takes a lot of "know how" from the folks on this site to be able to service this bike correctly and not spend a fortune doing so!

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Dano,

I agree...the BMW factory manual is one of the worst manuals I have ever seen. Very few clear pictures...vague instructions at times (i.e. - "remove Transmission").

Thank you to all the people on this site who make up for the deficiencies! It takes a lot of "know how" from the folks on this site to be able to service this bike correctly and not spend a fortune doing so!

Merry Christmas!!!!!
Actually, I think the BMW service manual for the LT is pretty darn good. I have seen much worse! The service area on removing the transmission is more than just "Remove the Transmission", and was plenty for me do do the work.

Try to work on a BMW car! There is precious little service information available for them at all. BMW has almost nothing available, and dealers sell Bentley manuals, for the models that have one printed. On my 525i, the automatic transmission has information for changing the fluid. The repair section is basically "Replace the Transmission"!

My 2001 740iL has NOTHING available for it other than the BMW TIS CD, which they do not sell to the public. Even that information is pretty sparse. As much as I hate buying copies of things like this on eBay, the only way to get the little information available is to do so.

The BMW service manual for the LT is an absolute wealth of information in comparison.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:02 am

I want to thank all those who have contributed "how too" stuff for this site. I couldn't believe the owners manual didn't have a section on how to change the engine oil at least. Even the manual for my Yamaha Majesty told how to do that.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but I believe I can change my own oil and transmission/rear drive oil at least.
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:10 am

If I were making the decisions, I don't know just how much I would change. Us guys that are capable seem to 'find a way', and the rest probably should be taking their bikes into the shop. Just remember...the dealers don't want you doing your own work anymore than BMW Motorrad does.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:45 am

How about the Cylmer manual? Is that better or at least easier to use than the factory one? I've used them before for outboard motors, and thought they were great, but it seemed to me they were an out and out copy of the Mercury Service manual. (I had one of those a friend gave me also.)
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 1:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink BMW manual is made for the BMW factory mechanic

Snip ...BMW factory manual is one of the worst manuals I have ever seen. Very few clear pictures...vague instructions at times (i.e. - "remove Transmission ......

Well , a friend of mine , who was the mechanic at a BMW motorcycle dealership told me 20 years ago .

The BMW factory manual is made for the BMW factory mechanic . Some one that has been to there school .They don't put a lot of stuff in there manual that a trained factory mechanic should all ready know . Kind of like school books , they don't put much simple math in a Algebra book .

Anyway , that's the way I understand the how the BMW factory manual is put together . ...Patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:18 am

One day, we'll be able to down load a video on how to change the slave cylinder; how to drill the drain hole.

How to change the rear end might be next?

Hear that Santa?

Bob
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:30 am

If you think the BMW manual is bad you should take a look at the manuals that Rolls Royce has for their jet engines. They are laid out like they were written by a schitsofrenic manic depressive.
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 4:10 am

As stated above, they are written for experienced mechanics. Have you every looked at a Motor Manual, the basic resource for mechanics? The first step in removing a motor is "remove all accessories". Not the kind of instruction I need.
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 3:58 pm

How about writing our own manual? Sure, the BWM LT manual is one of the better BMW manuals, but it's still fairly poor when contrasted with some of the write ups here. We're not all factory trained techs, so some of the 'assumptions' of the BMW manual don't apply.

I was just reading about some educators writing a text book onine - using a Wiki. It'd be trivial to setup a Wiki that'd not only allow all the membership to contribute, but be available to anyone.

No, I wouldn't think it could be a replacement for the HOW and FAQ - those are excellent resources in their own rights. But rather a new, community/user developed service manual. It could have pics, videos, diagrams, text, descriptions limited only by imagination. Someday - if there's concensous - it could even be 'published' as an ISO image or CD so folks could have local copies. But then, maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of it all.

Only 'gotchya' I can think of is we could *NOT* copy BMW's, Clymer's or anyone else's copyrighted material. Specifications would be OK - I think - but it'd have to be totally an original work.

If there's any interest, I'd be game on setting up a wiki just for that (I already host 2 here). Heck, may do it anyway just to see what happens.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Last edited by Zotter; Dec 24th, 2006 at 4:15 pm.
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 6:50 pm

I think that's a great idea. Original photos should not be a problem, and diagrams and such could present an opportunity for some of our members to really let their creativity shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
How about writing our own manual? Sure, the BWM LT manual is one of the better BMW manuals, but it's still fairly poor when contrasted with some of the write ups here. We're not all factory trained techs, so some of the 'assumptions' of the BMW manual don't apply.

I was just reading about some educators writing a text book onine - using a Wiki. It'd be trivial to setup a Wiki that'd not only allow all the membership to contribute, but be available to anyone.

No, I wouldn't think it could be a replacement for the HOW and FAQ - those are excellent resources in their own rights. But rather a new, community/user developed service manual. It could have pics, videos, diagrams, text, descriptions limited only by imagination. Someday - if there's concensous - it could even be 'published' as an ISO image or CD so folks could have local copies. But then, maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of it all.

Only 'gotchya' I can think of is we could *NOT* copy BMW's, Clymer's or anyone else's copyrighted material. Specifications would be OK - I think - but it'd have to be totally an original work.

If there's any interest, I'd be game on setting up a wiki just for that (I already host 2 here). Heck, may do it anyway just to see what happens.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in