• 1 Post By Beemer tiger
  • 1 Post By Wazza
  • 1 Post By longride
  • 2 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Smile Change of pace

Seems like most forums are to post bad news and problems with everything can go wrong with them. I'm going to change this up a bit.

I purchased a 2004 KLT with 6500 miles on it. Got a killer price as I used the fact the radio didn't work an the bake lights were flashing problems. This forum gave me the knowledge to know the issues were not permanent nor serious. A battery disconnect got the radio back on business, and brake fluid stopped the warning flashers.

I was looking at riding this bike from Chicago to Daytona Beach about 1300 miles with not much knowledge of maintenance performed., or condition of the bike. I posted a few months back on recommended things to do.

Well the tires looked new and I changed the motor, trans and final drive fluids. The bike still had the plastic fuel disconnects, original brake lines, and internal gas tank fuel lines. I worried about these things for a while, but just decided to get on with things and see what happened.

What happened it the bike performed flawlessly for the 1300 mile trip. What an awesome ride! Hated grips and seat came in handy in the cold, and the bike ran like a top getting about 45 mpg for the trip. So much comfort and easy handling. Loved every minute of it!

After I got it home I change the brake lines to Spieglers and flushed the system. Had to do the front circuits twice to get out all the air. Changed out the fuel disconnects to metal ones from Beemer Boneyard. Still have my GS 911 from my RS and ran every test and all came out with no issues.

Fantastic bike! I know I need to get more maintenance done such as plug wires, fuel lines, fuel filter and such, but I am going to ride it a few thousand more before I do them. No trips planned, so any failures will be local.

I just wanted to post up some good news and thanks to this forum, I got a pretty awesome bike for a fantastic price.

George
Patric, pkpr1998, ibbones and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 11:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Change of pace

Thanks for posting this. It is encouragement to a new Beemer owner (and casual rider) anticipating the spring and warm riding weather.
HRGuy likes this.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 7:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Very good to hear all went well. What a great bike and they are fun to work on.

post #4 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2018, 5:16 am

Right along with all your good fortune, there is a $4500 2002 43k miles LT for sale, on the Baltimore CL & the fb K1200LT group, that sounds to be extraordinarily well maintained & equipped.
If I hadn't found mine, I'd be looking at it REAL FAST!
It sound like a seller who is just "moving on". &, I understand that. That's what I'm doing with all my early '80's Suzuki GS-G stuff. I'm happy to be on an LT!

A good man once told me, "Don't ever get rid of your bike. It's your soul."

'06 Audi A6 3.2, "Beauty"
'00 BMW k1200LT, "Kitty"
'82 Suzuki GS1100GK, "Medussa(evil)"
'80 Suzuki GS1000G, "Penny",

Gone, but sorely missed
'77 Yam XS750-2D, "Loretta"
'84 Yam Venture, "the Polish Pony"
'73 Porsche 911T Targa(mechanical injection)

Last edited by LarryJa; Mar 27th, 2018 at 6:29 pm. Reason: Spelling correction
post #5 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2018, 9:16 am

Many thanks to you for posting this. There are times that I read this forum and think what the hell have I done. I have on 05 model and it is a thing of beauty but sometimes I'm almost afraid to drive out the front gate. When I thought about buying my bike I read quite a lot about how the flying brick was almost bullet proof. What they seemed to forget to mention was that the rest of the bike could fall apart around it. Massive exaggeration I know, but that's the impression you could get from reading posts here at times. At the end of the day though these are not new bikes. They are very complicated motorcycles with many things that could go wrong. I remind myself that I have bought myself a luxury tourer that would have cost around $30,000 here in Australia. I got mine for far less than that and I know I have work to do on it. This weekend I will be replacing the fork seals, They leak more than a rusty tin roof. I believe that my transmission will need to come out for a rebuild sooner rather than later. Most gear changes need two actions of the shift lever. Before I change up I need to carefully lift on the lever and release it. After that it will change to the next gear.
Perhaps a worn selector drum. I guess with this bike the positives outweigh the negatives otherwise we wouldn't still be talking about them here and riding them.
I have to admit that it has been about 6 weeks since I have been on it, bad weather, too busy, too tired, but all I have to do is walk into the garage and look at that bike. No regrets here.
Mark65 likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2018, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Wazza, I feel ya! I was sweating my purchase after a few days and thinking I made a mistake. Taking on 1300 miles on a bike I knew nothing about, and reading these forums for a while gave me the impression the wheels would fall off a mile down the road. Then I figured that you only hear the bad news and never the good, so the trip was worry free when I just rode the heck out of it and quit thinking so much. At this point I am extremely happy with my purchase. Common failure points are well known, and I will address all of them that I can. In the mean time, ride it like you stole it!
ibbones likes this.

George

2004 K1200LT - Gray Ghost
post #7 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Most gear changes need two actions of the shift lever. Before I change up I need to carefully lift on the lever and release it. After that it will change to the next gear.
Perhaps a worn selector drum. I guess with this bike the positives outweigh the negatives otherwise we wouldn't still be talking about them here and riding them.
I have been in several high mileage transmissions and never saw a worn drum. Try this next time you are out. For shifting, lightly load the shifter with your toe and THEN gradually pull in the clutch. It should pop right into the next gear before you move the clutch lever more than an inch or so. Also shift in the power band on the LT, this is between 3,500 to 5,000 RPM any shifts lower than that will be very doggy. First gear is good to 62 MPH before you hit the rev limiter. Explore the power band on your bike I think you will be impressed.
pkpr1998 and Mark65 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Quote:
I believe that my transmission will need to come out for a rebuild sooner rather than later. Most gear changes need two actions of the shift lever. Before I change up I need to carefully lift on the lever and release it. After that it will change to the next gear.
Perhaps a worn selector drum.
John is right about the selector drums not really being a wear item so do what he says on shifting and preloading the shift lever. You can also look at the linkages. They may need to be cleaned and lubricated plus the deflection lever inbetween the linkages can get loose and flop around not transferring proper motion on to the transmission so if you haven't done a linkage service yet, do that and it may also help.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #9 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
John is right about the selector drums not really being a wear item so do what he says on shifting and preloading the shift lever. You can also look at the linkages. They may need to be cleaned and lubricated plus the deflection lever inbetween the linkages can get loose and flop around not transferring proper motion on to the transmission so if you haven't done a linkage service yet, do that and it may also help.
Thanks for your advice guys. Actually the first thing I did was pull the linkages out to clean and lube them.
The ball joint at the shift lever is a little worn, perhaps it's time to replace the linkages.
post #10 of 18 Old Mar 27th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Quote:
Thanks for your advice guys. Actually the first thing I did was pull the linkages out to clean and lube them.
The ball joint at the shift lever is a little worn, perhaps it's time to replace the linkages.
Just to be sure, the part I am referring to is #10 with bolt #13 going through it that can get loose and allow #10 to move around not transferring the motion through it. If you already took care of that, great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shift Linkage.png
Views:	37
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	141697  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #11 of 18 Old Mar 28th, 2018, 5:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Also check each ball stud to make sure they are tight (8 mm wrench). If they loosen they will snap off.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 18 Old Mar 29th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Also check each ball stud to make sure they are tight (8 mm wrench). If they loosen they will snap off.
Yes I have had all this assembly apart to clean , check and re lube. All I found besides dirty and dry ball joints was a loose fit between ball and cup on the connection to the foot lever.
It probably equates to about 1mm of slop but that wouldn't cause the foot lever to do a full travel with no resistance. When you pull up on it a second time the foot lever then has resistance against it and at that point it will change.
I am replacing the fork seals today and have removed the lower faring sections to give me more room to move. I will be checking them again.
post #13 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2018, 11:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Seems like most forums are to post bad news and problems with everything can go wrong with them. I'm going to change this up a bit.

I purchased a 2004 KLT with 6500 miles on it. Got a killer price as I used the fact the radio didn't work an the bake lights were flashing problems. This forum gave me the knowledge to know the issues were not permanent nor serious. A battery disconnect got the radio back on business, and brake fluid stopped the warning flashers.

I was looking at riding this bike from Chicago to Daytona Beach about 1300 miles with not much knowledge of maintenance performed., or condition of the bike. I posted a few months back on recommended things to do.

Well the tires looked new and I changed the motor, trans and final drive fluids. The bike still had the plastic fuel disconnects, original brake lines, and internal gas tank fuel lines. I worried about these things for a while, but just decided to get on with things and see what happened.

What happened it the bike performed flawlessly for the 1300 mile trip. What an awesome ride! Hated grips and seat came in handy in the cold, and the bike ran like a top getting about 45 mpg for the trip. So much comfort and easy handling. Loved every minute of it!

After I got it home I change the brake lines to Spieglers and flushed the system. Had to do the front circuits twice to get out all the air. Changed out the fuel disconnects to metal ones from Beemer Boneyard. Still have my GS 911 from my RS and ran every test and all came out with no issues.

Fantastic bike! I know I need to get more maintenance done such as plug wires, fuel lines, fuel filter and such, but I am going to ride it a few thousand more before I do them. No trips planned, so any failures will be local.

I just wanted to post up some good news and thanks to this forum, I got a pretty awesome bike for a fantastic price.

George
I think most of the positive stuff is in other forums such as Ride Tales. The general forums seem more focused on features, how to operate the bike, maintenance, accessories and repairs. You may want to peruse the non-model specific forums in addition to this one.

Not to burst your bubble, but I had almost no trouble with my LT until it had 27,000 miles on it. You aren't even broke in yet at 6,500.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #14 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Garage

Thanks for the post. I just bought my first BMW, a 2009 LT, a couple of weeks ago. I've heard all of the great and not-so-great stories of BMW ownership, but when it came down to it, the ride couldn't be beat. Preventative maintenance and not riding like a moron should help in the long run.
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2018, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage

You aren't even broke in yet at 6,500.

Make that 8,500!

George

post #16 of 18 Old Mar 30th, 2018, 6:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You aren't even broke in yet at 6,500.

Make that 8,500!
Takes about 15,000 miles to break in the LT engine.

Takes about 25-30,000 miles to start breaking.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2018, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Takes about 15,000 miles to break in the LT engine.

Takes about 25-30,000 miles to start breaking.
I'm looking forward to breaking the heck out of it!

George

post #18 of 18 Old Mar 31st, 2018, 1:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I'm looking forward to breaking the heck out of it!
Absolutely. Just keep your lift greased and your tools ready.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in