Refilling brake system - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Refilling brake system

Hi all

Have got the brake system completely emptied (2001 with servo brakes)...waiting for my Spieglers to arrive.

After installing the new lines do I fill all reservoirs and start sucking it thru with my vac pump or is there a set routine to follow?

Appreciate your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 5:12 am

Re: Refilling brake system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokar99 View Post
Hi all

Have got the brake system completely emptied (2001 with servo brakes)...waiting for my Spieglers to arrive.

After installing the new lines do I fill all reservoirs and start sucking it thru with my vac pump or is there a set routine to follow?

Appreciate your help
John, I don't have a servo system but I don't believe your vac pump will work. The servo system actually has 4 separate circuits that need to be bled in a sequence. If you don't have a Clymer manual, you can look at this video that goes through the process. There are also threads on this site with the procedure. There is a funnel that really helps as you need to use the servos to move fluid through the system and the reservoirs are very small. The funnel allows you to greatly increase the fluid capacity for the bleed so you don't run the reservoir dry and pull air back into the system. the I-ABS is very sensitive to any air in the system. Have a look at this video keeping in mind that the I-ABS system has 2 locations for the reservoirs, under the seat as I believe yours will be and in later models, they were moved onto the ABS unit itself.

If you had really bad old fluid in your system, you should push a large amount through the system to hopefully clear any old goo out as you mentioned in a previous post. Hopefully the system wasn't damaged by lack of maintenance.

Good luck.

https://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/se...egrated-brakes

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Here is some information:
(and if you have a GS-911, it is helpful for a complete bleed and check)
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=4385

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 25th, 2018, 2:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

While Beech's posted videos are great they are for a FLUSH and not for an empty system refill and bleed. The techniques are the same but often you have to fill some lines before you can get anything to work correctly.

I always drain before I do the brake lines. I usually leave the top of the front hose loose (where it meets the hard line at the frame) and push fluid up from the farthest front caliper (be sure and press your pistons in fully) until I see fluid it at the end of the hose. I did not do this on the last bike I did and it took a great deal of bleeding over three days to finally get the air out. I also push fluid up to the handle bar reservoir from the ABS bleed port. It is worth your while to push fluid again from the front caliper to the ABS reservoir since it is remoted by a hose from the ABS unit. I have never had any luck using a vacuum bleed device since it will suck air from around the bleed nipple threads and it is hard to determine when the air is out.

Like wise I push from the rear caliper up to the reservoir. I usually have to do a conventional bleed of the rear control circuit as that does not do well with a push from the ABS bleed port.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 5:45 am Thread Starter

Hi Gordon.....thanks for that.

Been thru the bleeding process when I got the bike home after purchase...got a huge amount of air and mustard coloured crap out of the servo. The bike ran fine after i was finished...no faults...braked fine....for 2 days and then it blew the front line at the typical spot. I wanted the know if there was a specific order to refill what and suck/pump from where really.

Was good to strip it down...found various bits of wiring that needed new tape and found the original air filter...yep '01 stamped on it...17yrs in the hole...the bike has got 135,000 kms...just a faint flutter on the throttle at about 1700rpm..other than that you wouldn't know the filter was as bad as I found it to be.

Also am in the process of mounting a new GPS on the stingray...just getting the bits and pieces together atm...interesting to see how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
John, I don't have a servo system but I don't believe your vac pump will work. The servo system actually has 4 separate circuits that need to be bled in a sequence. If you don't have a Clymer manual, you can look at this video that goes through the process. There are also threads on this site with the procedure. There is a funnel that really helps as you need to use the servos to move fluid through the system and the reservoirs are very small. The funnel allows you to greatly increase the fluid capacity for the bleed so you don't run the reservoir dry and pull air back into the system. the I-ABS is very sensitive to any air in the system. Have a look at this video keeping in mind that the I-ABS system has 2 locations for the reservoirs, under the seat as I believe yours will be and in later models, they were moved onto the ABS unit itself.

If you had really bad old fluid in your system, you should push a large amount through the system to hopefully clear any old goo out as you mentioned in a previous post. Hopefully the system wasn't damaged by lack of maintenance.

Good luck.

https://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/se...egrated-brakes
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 5:46 am Thread Starter

Thanks Beech...appreciate the links

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Here is some information:
(and if you have a GS-911, it is helpful for a complete bleed and check)
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=4385

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpI05pWUp-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etex4BpLSKM
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks John...sounds good...will go down this path....tell me....F1 ,2 or 3 for the ABS push back to the handlebar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
While Beech's posted videos are great they are for a FLUSH and not for an empty system refill and bleed. The techniques are the same but often you have to fill some lines before you can get anything to work correctly.

I always drain before I do the brake lines. I usually leave the top of the front hose loose (where it meets the hard line at the frame) and push fluid up from the farthest front caliper (be sure and press your pistons in fully) until I see fluid it at the end of the hose. I did not do this on the last bike I did and it took a great deal of bleeding over three days to finally get the air out. I also push fluid up to the handle bar reservoir from the ABS bleed port. It is worth your while to push fluid again from the front caliper to the ABS reservoir since it is remoted by a hose from the ABS unit. I have never had any luck using a vacuum bleed device since it will suck air from around the bleed nipple threads and it is hard to determine when the air is out.

Like wise I push from the rear caliper up to the reservoir. I usually have to do a conventional bleed of the rear control circuit as that does not do well with a push from the ABS bleed port.

Last edited by Jokar99; Mar 26th, 2018 at 7:39 am.
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I always use the tall one F3 (control circuit) for the push to the reservoir. The other two are F2 (integral circuit - cross feed from front to rear) and F1 (metering circuit). Once you have filled the front reservoir now bleed (take fluid/air out) at each of the ports F1, then F2, then F3 and F1 again in that order until they are all bubble free. You should have little air if any at all following the push fill.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 4:42 pm

I use one of these for reverse filling. (have two, one for clutch mineral oil and one for DOT4)

Beech

post #10 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 7:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I use one of these for reverse filling. (have two, one for clutch mineral oil and one for DOT4)
One of what?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 8:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't know what Beech uses but I use this.

They have a cheaper hobby level unit. The V5.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 13 Old Mar 26th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Forgot the link. It is a syringe pump that has a flow through system suction and out put so no interruption and no air.
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Syste...+brake+bleeder

Beech

post #13 of 13 Old Mar 27th, 2018, 5:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Forgot the link. It is a syringe pump that has a flow through system suction and out put so no interruption and no air.
https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Syste...+brake+bleeder
Good idea for the job...I've bought a standard 200ml syringe pump...if needed I'll shut the valve and refill...might have to invest in one of those V5's for the future...thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in