Cycle Lift and the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Cycle Lift and the LT

Has anyone used a cycle lift on an LT? I have a quality unit that has a 1x1 foot top plate. I used to use it on my Electraglide and could sit on the bike!! It's very stable. Gettin too old to work all hunched over!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:22 pm

AArrgghh !!!

Not sure I would trust an LT on that.....At least not with my balance and cramped quarters it would just take a little "slip" to put her down....

Several of us have the Harbor Freight Motorcycle lift....Works fine....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Not a good idea. The LT doesn't have a cradle frame like the HD, so the only way you could lift it would be under the engine itself. Besides possible balance issues, the lower fairing would be in the way. And after all that, you'd be covering up the oil filter and drain plug, which is one of the most common service items on the bike.

Take a look under the bike and see what I mean.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 9:12 am

For the LT, or just about any other "frameless" bike, these type lifts, and the ones you see at Sears, etc., won't work.

For these you need a totally different type of lift, the most popular are the large plate lifts that you ride (or push) the bike onto. Handy-lift or Ranger to name a couple. Fairly expensive though. Harbor Frieght now has one that works, a lot less money than the Handy-Lift, but also a lot lighter constructed.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Garage
Do you mean this lift?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94121

$379 + Shipping

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:08 pm

That's the one. They also have a manual version of it for $299.
post #7 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Harbor Freight adds $50 charge for items shipped by truck (like that lift) IN ADDITION TO you paying freight company for the freight at time of delivery.

I don't know about the similarities and/or differences between their lift and this one, but this is the best deal I have found yet on this lift ($634 delivered, including front wheel vise).

Anyone have any experience with either lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Do you mean this lift?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94121

$379 + Shipping

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Hf

I have one of the Harbor freight lifts. It works just fine...

Got mine on sale and had a 20 % off coupon to boot...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I just found out there is a Harbor Freight store just down the road in Irving, TX. If I can get the lift from the store and save the freight (and $50 extra fee), then it becomes pretty much a no-brainer if the list performs well enough.

Thanks, John. Now I just need to find that 20% coupon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
I have one of the Harbor freight lifts. It works just fine...

Got mine on sale and had a 20 % off coupon to boot...

John

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I just found out there is a Harbor Freight store just down the road in Irving, TX. If I can get the lift from the store and save the freight (and $50 extra fee), then it becomes pretty much a no-brainer if the list performs well enough.

Thanks, John. Now I just need to find that 20% coupon!
Ditto on the Harbor Freight lift, got mine with the coupon for $240+tax
go to their website and sign up for their mailing list,
last weeks flyer had a 15% coupon but alas it got "tossed" already

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Cycle Lift

Thanks for the replies and information gentlemen. I will take your advise. Heck, the lift I have cost over $400. and it is a top quality unit. Guess I'll have to find a HD guy that needs a lift (I know many do)
post #12 of 22 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 11:50 pm

Bike Lift

Before I would put my BMW on a Harbor Freight $300 lift you might want to look at a quality lift for the money. These are used by pros and available to the general public. I've seen the Harbor Freight and for a dirt bike I think it's a great tool, but for $20k hangin in the air? Just my opinion and I've used both.
http://www.kendonusa.com/lift.htm

John
02 BMW
LT
98 HD FLHT
97 Honda Valkerie
65 HD Chopper
01 Polaris Ranger
post #13 of 22 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 12:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I hadn't seen the Kendon lifts before. Interesting option. Plus they're made in Anaheim so I could pick up locally. I'll have to give that some serious thought.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 22 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 11:04 am

I respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by akzl
Before I would put my BMW on a Harbor Freight $300 lift you might want to look at a quality lift for the money. These are used by pros and available to the general public. I've seen the Harbor Freight and for a dirt bike I think it's a great tool, but for $20k hangin in the air? Just my opinion and I've used both.
http://www.kendonusa.com/lift.htm
Unless you run a shop and use a lift everyday, the Harbor Freight lift is more than adeqaute,
the big platform is also very convenient to use for other repairs (as my lawnmower yesterday)
and it handles the LT without any concern.

I haven't seen or used the lift your link shows,
but you could buy two HB lifts for the cost and have money left over.
and judging from the picture (in my opinion)
It looks to be much more suited for as you say "dirtbikes".

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 22 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 12:08 pm

Harbor Freight lifts

I paid $441.98 including shipping for my Harbor Freight, I did not have a coupon or discount.

I consider the Harbor Freight lift to be a good quality unit, not the best, but good enough for a hobby user.

Note: some time ago the Harbor Freight platform lift which looked like the current one, was rated around 850lbs. So be careful when passing commment on the Harbor Freight lift, are you talking about the older version or the new one? They look pretty much the same but the new one is rated 1000lbs and the older one only 850.
post #16 of 22 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 3:41 pm

I can substantiate Charlie's comment. I just threw away the box that my Harbor Freight lift came in, and it said right on the box that the lift was rated for 1,000 lb.

I found a $299 price on the Harbor Freight web site, where the store was asking $399. When I informed the store of this, they said "Print it out and bring it in". I got it for $299 + tax at the store.

Be aware that the manual HF lift takes about 65 pumps of the foot pedal to raise the platform all the way. For the occasional user, NBD. Several bikes a day? Dunno ...

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #17 of 22 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
I found a $299 price on the Harbor Freight web site, where the store was asking $399. When I informed the store of this, they said "Print it out and bring it in". I got it for $299 + tax at the store.
Good tip. I'll print the web listing, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Be aware that the manual HF lift takes about 65 pumps of the foot pedal to raise the platform all the way. For the occasional user, NBD. Several bikes a day? Dunno ...
HF also have an air powered one for only eighty bucks more at $379. Even with occasional use, I know I would probably regret not getting the powered one. May as well use that 240v 60 gallon compressor for something!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #18 of 22 Old Dec 25th, 2006, 4:00 pm
Ric

Just Info on Lifts

Quite some time ago I posted a request in re motorcycle lifts on this site. At that time I didn't get a lot of replies so I started looking around for one. The lift I had was strictly for Harley type bikes and would not work on the LT without a bunch of messing around. I finally settled on the Handy Lift 1000 with 8" optional side panels. Expensive? Yes it was, but it is one of the most stable lifts I looked at. There were other cheaper lifts and one or two others that had a greater lift range, but the clear winner was the Handy Lift. I use the lift a lot and it was obvious that Handy Lift was the best as most of the dealers use them in their shops. I will say this regardless which lift you think best, don't make your choice on how high the table will lift a bike. Over 36" and stability of the platform becomes a big issue. I looked at one well known lift that would rise a bike 46" high. The problem was that a heavy bike that high in the air made the lift REALLY wobbly. Rick
post #19 of 22 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:34 am

I am looking for a lift, where did you get the Handy? What was the cost? This looked pretty nice and a good price, anyone use this?
http://www.asedeals.com/motorcycle_lift_gen.html

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #20 of 22 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 8:55 am

Smile Handy

I just bought a Handy air lift about two weeks ago. I wanted American made and it cost a little extra. It works great and is worth it's weight in gold. I have had my LT and CL on it. I cannot imagine working on a big bike without a lift.

Ron
post #21 of 22 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 9:15 am

Some will surely disagree...but I think you get what you pay for in a lift and I have the 1000lb Handy airlift with the wheel vise, the extra scissor jack, and the towbar dolly. I have had it for 3 years and it cost about $1100 with the extras and shipping.

I just this week bought the 8 inch side extensions from Handy and they were $175 shipped from the same seller I got the original lift from.

"Quality is always remembered long after price is forgotten...."

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #22 of 22 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 7:55 pm

Garage
Take a look at this lift..."www.on-bike.com/products_bigblue.htm"

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in