Scuffed Up Black Engine Guard On Almost All LT's? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Scuffed Up Black Engine Guard On Almost All LT's?

Went to 2 BMW stores today in Atlanta, shopping for myself. Every single used LT had the scuffed up black pieces from being set down, hopefully gently. I guess it's good they're only about $30 to replace for each side. My guess is that if and when they do come out with a new LT it will have a lower CG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
My guess is that if and when they do come out with a new LT it will have a lower CG.
And what fun is that? Part of the deal is to be able to brag about dropping the LT, especially in front of large crowds.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 5:05 pm

My GT is approaching 13K miles. Not one drop. Not even one near drop. If you're afraid of the dropping an LT, you have two options. Buy a lighter bike, or learn how to not drop it. I rode an LT for over 40K without dropping it.

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 6:45 pm

Careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
My GT is approaching 13K miles. Not one drop. Not even one near drop. If you're afraid of the dropping an LT, you have two options. Buy a lighter bike, or learn how to not drop it. I rode an LT for over 40K without dropping it.
You know what Proverbs says: Pride goeth before a fall.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:08 pm

and.. what will we do with those wonderful DA pins, patches and stories?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'll let you know when I drop it. But if my GT does end up on it's side, the story sure will be more compelling than "I tapped the front brake and down she went.".
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:55 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
"There I was, coming out of a corner with the rear wheel drifting and front wheel rising away from the pavement as I powered out at full-throttle when out of nowhere a wild hog ran across the road. I body-steered the bike and dived between the hog and an Amish buggy who had suddenly made a left turn in front of me. I would have made it too, if it weren't for those fresh horse droppings . . ."

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:00 pm

Thumbs up Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
"There I was, coming out of a corner with the rear wheel drifting and front wheel rising away from the pavement as I powered out at full-throttle when out of nowhere a wild hog ran across the road. I body-steered the bike and dived between the hog and an Amish buggy who had suddenly made a left turn in front of me. I would have made it too, if it weren't for those fresh horse droppings . . ."
Yes! YES! YESSS!!!! I can smell the horse crap now!!!
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:10 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
You left out the part where he dives off the bike just before it cartwheels off a cliff over the Pacific Ocean into the sunset. But then he still rides it home.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #10 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:49 am

Quote:
Up around these parts, that ain't to far fetched. And they are officially know as Steam Pies, If your in the front of the group and can get the full soccer style kick on one (like you were doing the opussom punt) the guys behind will cuss you for a week. Ah life is great
So Howard
You got it you were proud and over it went, that the story pretty much??
Rock
post #11 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yes! YES! YESSS!!!! I can smell the horse crap now!!!
On my Pyrenees trip in '05, our guide called it "Green Ice"!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:53 am

Quote:
... Every single used LT had the scuffed up black pieces from being set down...
When I purchased my LT I had those pieces replaced along with the chrome strip on the sidecase to erase evidence of the previous owner's parking lot drop. Less than 2 months later I left it in neutral on the side stand and watched it fall as I walked away barely missing my car that had just returned from the body shop where the damage done by a falling oak tree was repaired. I have decided not to replace them this time. Its kinda like a badge of honor.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #13 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:58 am

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Yep BillY learned (Sorry Billy )
And Joe was very considerate about it too.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:01 am

I have a badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee
When I purchased my LT I had those pieces replaced along with the chrome strip on the sidecase to erase evidence of the previous owner's parking lot drop. Less than 2 months later I left it in neutral on the side stand and watched it fall as I walked away barely missing my car that had just returned from the body shop where the damage done by a falling oak tree was repaired. I have decided not to replace them this time. Its kinda like a badge of honor.
I have a badge
and a Pin form Pete

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #15 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:40 am

I haven't every dropped mine yet either--BUT, it has fallen off the side stand three times. Twice in the garage right after I first got the bike, and once in a Parking lot at a local hardware store. All of these were my fault, in the sense that I didn't realize when I first got the bike just how crappy the side stand is. As we all know, it doesn't lock into place really, and if it the bike isn't in gear or if it is allowed to roll too much what will happen. Hopefully now, after a year of riding my LT, I know better. At least I make every effort to fully extend the side stand and keep it in gear, and make sure I put it on the center stand if the terrain allows. jrlakin
post #16 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:58 am

Maybe if BMW sold them to us pre-scuffed we wouldn't have to do it ourselves.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #17 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
Maybe if BMW sold them to us pre-scuffed we wouldn't have to do it ourselves.

Yeah, but they would charge an extra fee, certainly out of my budget! Also, special order from Germany, wait time 4 months for delivery

I forgot once the disk-lock. It's amazing how fast the locomotive went down, brutally crushing... my ego (as I was trying to be so cool in front of an audience). Never fails.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #18 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 4:21 pm

Three items needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Yeah, but they would charge an extra fee, certainly out of my budget! Also, special order from Germany, wait time 4 months for delivery

I forgot once the disk-lock. It's amazing how fast the locomotive went down, brutally crushing... my ego (as I was trying to be so cool in front of an audience). Never fails.
1-file
2-sand paper
3-permanent marker

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #19 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:17 pm

Black crash bar covers

Quote:
Went to 2 BMW stores today in Atlanta, shopping for myself. Every single used LT had the scuffed up black pieces from being set down, hopefully gently. I guess it's good they're only about $30 to replace for each side. My guess is that if and when they do come out with a new LT it will have a lower CG.
Not many people know this but... when the dealer changes your oil, at least my dealer, they lay the bike down on the floor so they can put the oil in quickly. This will eventually mark your black crash bar cover on one of the sides. Of course if they are all scratched and gouged then it has been dropped.

Bill
Ocean Blue
2005 05 LT
post #20 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:32 pm

Where did that story come from? It's nice to have relationship with the service departments at both the dealers in town. I've been back there during dozens of oil changes and never once have they laid the bike over on the tip over bars to add oil. Most of the time, the bikes are raised off the floor just like we do it at a tech session.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in