2003 Clutch Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Mar 8th, 2018, 9:56 am Thread Starter

2003 Clutch Replacement

Local BMW shop quoted $2600. Symptoms, you can hear rattling when idling, get worse when you take off. When you max adjustment on clutch, gets better. I think the previous owned replace clutch and did it incorrectly. Any local gearheads in Dallas want to take on this challenge, above my skill sets.

Jim Yarborough
214-934-4911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Mar 8th, 2018, 10:31 am

Re: 2003 Clutch Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbo1 View Post
Local BMW shop quoted $2600. Symptoms, you can hear rattling when idling, get worse when you take off. When you max adjustment on clutch, gets better. I think the previous owned replace clutch and did it incorrectly. Any local gearheads in Dallas want to take on this challenge, above my skill sets.

Jim Yarborough
214-934-4911
Welcome to the forum Jim. the LT is often called a box of rocks and you are generally told to not listen too closely or you will lose your mind thinking it is falling apart which is another issue entirely. Here is a summary of the things that can make noise that are generally not life threatening. The clutch will generally not make noise on its own especially with the clutch out.

Diagnosing a sound remotely is often difficult. First, when you begin pulling in the clutch, does the rattling stop? If it does, then the noise is likely the clutch pushrod rattling with no load on it. It is a Hydraulic clutch so there is no adjustment to speak of. If you adjust the stop screw too tight in the handle, that can block the fluid return hole and lead to other issues. The pushrod has a piece of felt around it to prevent it from rattling so if that is worn or was removed, it can make noise. To replace the felt, removal of the final drive and swing arm are necessary to reach the clutch slave cylinder where the rod can be removed and the felt replaced. Some early models did not have this felt but I think a 2003 should have been equipped from the factory

Other possible rattling is caused by gear lash in the alternator drive. Turn on everything you can, lights, heaters, high beam and see if it gets better with a higher load on the alternator. Not much you can do about that one but if that helps, you at least know where the noise is coming from.

The cam chain can make noise( rattle) if the tensioner is not doing its job well or if the guides are severely worn but most that have in excess of 100K still see no issue there with worn guides.

Lastly, there is a less likely possibility of the output shaft in the engine making noise. A much bigger job to try and silence that but it won't cause any damage.

If you are in a state that doesn't require a helmet, try wearing one. That will quiet the engine and also protect your head.
mtrevelino, mr1150gs and trussell like this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Mar 8th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Re: 2003 Clutch Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbo1 View Post

Jim Yarborough
214-934-4911
Our local shops wanted closer to 4k. I thought they were nuts. But after tackling it myself I can see why.
It's almost taken me a year to do it. (along with every other update possible) It would go much quicker the second time but for sure this bike is a beast to work on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in