Dumb ??? Slave Cylinder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Dumb ??? Slave Cylinder

There is a ton of stuff here and in the archives re the slave cylinder. Exactly what is it and where is it located on the bike? Has BMW supposedly corrected the problem so that it should not be an issue on the K2006 LT?

Been looking at this issue a long while and just had to ask.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
There is a ton of stuff here and in the archives re the slave cylinder. Exactly what is it and where is it located on the bike? Has BMW supposedly corrected the problem so that it should not be an issue on the K2006 LT?

... its 'down on the other end of the hydraulic pipe from your (clutch) master cylinder - BM have designed it, so, that, if you get a leak in the piston seals, it leaks into the clutch housing and shags your clutch - a small hole drilled in the cylinder will allow the clutch fluid (if the seals go) to harmlessly drain away, without contaminating the clutch plate.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 3:38 pm

To add, the fact that the LT has a "dry clutch" is the reason it trashes it...should the seal fail allowing fluid in where it's not supposed to be. So as a preventative measure we drill a drain hole into the slave cylinder housing. Replacing that seal is cheap-cheap. Replacing the whole clutch?...not so much.

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:42 pm

Smile

If you ever decide to get yours done there are a lot of people not too far from you who have experience changing theirs out and drilling a weep hole, give them a shout, most would be happy to help out
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:06 pm

I donít mean to hijack here, but where Mr. Bakerís LT is an í06 and mine is an í05 with 6,000 mi. (purchased new 6 months ago), would there be any warranty issue if you take it upon yourself to drill the weep hole while still covered?

BTW-My slave cylinder let go at 2,800 miles.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #6 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmas
I donít mean to hijack here, but where Mr. Bakerís LT is an í06 and mine is an í05 with 6,000 mi. (purchased new 6 months ago), would there be any warranty issue if you take it upon yourself to drill the weep hole while still covered?

Quite frankly, I would not do this mod to my LT until the warranty was expired. Not that it would void the warranty, but why open that can of worms? My
post #7 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:24 pm

Maybe So...maybe Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josmas

I agree with JOE...I just talked with a guy who was told by his dealer that if he drilled the weephole it would void his warranty (at least for coverage of that issue).

I know this could differ from dealer to dealer or factory rep to factory rep. I would personally wait until my warranty had expired rather than risk it. If it fails...carry it to the dealer for a brand new clutch, slave cylinder etc!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Quite frankly, I would not do this mod to my LT until the warranty was expired. Not that it would void the warranty, but why open that can of worms? My
My would be ... I agree on not upsetting the warranty claim, however I would keep the weep hole procedure in mind and take a preventive action in the season that the warranty expires. That way the owner would avoid the issue of failure the following season. It seems to be well documented, at the very least, the slave cylinder needs to be a 48K service item.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:31 pm

TWO people agreed with me in a row?!?! Is it too late to change my answer?
post #10 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:50 pm

I hope you are still having those tech sessions 2-1/2 years from now Pastor. I'll have to make the trip down from NH as soon as the warranty expires so you guys can walk me through it... Either that or I need to ride more to crank up the miles so I can come down sooner.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
TWO people agreed with me in a row?!?! Is it too late to change my answer?
Joe, Your not always wrong or opinionated... your just Joe..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 19 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage
One question that didn't really get answered was location. The slave cylinder is located down in front of the swingarm, and its only purpose is to disengage the clutch.

Several '05 bikes had early failures, but otherwise it just seems like this is a wear item on the LT. Dave Shealey originally recommended replacing it every 60K, but we've seen several at that mileage that have failed or were about to. So I'd agree that 48-50K is a good replacement interval.

I don't think I'd rush to drill the weep hole before 36K unless I was in there for some other reason. But then again, there are advantages to doing this procedure while the bike is still new and clean. I guess it all depends on an individual's mechanical confidence, or if an opportunity arises at a local tech session or CCR. I could see a dealer claiming warranty problems, and if you rely heavily on your dealer that is a valid concern. But once the bike rolls of the lot it's mine, and I'll make the final decisions on how it's taken care of.

I also agree that if you do have to go in and replace the clutch, then go ahead and replace every seal that you can get to while you're in there. The cost of a few extra parts is trivial compared to having to open it up again and redo the job later.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. Not knowing exactly what and where the part is/was was beginning to bug the hoodoo out of me. I think this will go in the watch but really worry later category for my '06.

There is so munch to learn about this beast!

Merry Christmas to all!
post #14 of 19 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:58 pm

Has BMW supposedly corrected the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
OK, here is the information I got from my S. FL dealers service tech, Sean. He is the type of guy that does not BS about BMW issues or problems, straight shooter.

1- He said they had a LOAD of slave problems prior to mid to late 2005 LT's.

2- The new post late 2005-2006 slave has re-enforcements around the throughout bearing he claimed BMW had pinpointed the problem to this bearing 'WOBBLING" thereby ruining the seal.

3-he showed me the old slave and the new one and I saw the differences first hand.

4-My dealer and he said "THEY" (this dealer only) could care less if I drilled the hole and would not open a Pandoraís Box denying coverage, in fact Sean would be delighted to only replace the slave as the entire clutch is a "MF'er".

he did have concern of contamination entering the hydraulics from the piston sliding-wicking action in a somewhat open environment (drilled weep-hole).

5-IMPORTANT, he said as of last week they did not replace a SINGLE late 2005 or 2006 model or the new modified slave.

For what it is worth.

Merry Christmas!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #15 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage
All that sounds very reasonable. Did he say whether BMW used the same part number for the new slave cylinder, or if they are just letting the old stock run out before carrying the new version. I sure would like to see a pic of the new unit.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
All that sounds very reasonable. Did he say whether BMW used the same part number for the new slave cylinder, or if they are just letting the old stock run out before carrying the new version. I sure would like to see a pic of the new unit.
Ken,
Again, the "no replaced since" is only what Sean and the dealer said.
When I go there I will try to get a pic and current P/N.
From what I personally saw, the new slave has three cast metal reinforcements that completely surround the full thickness but not the diameter of the bearing. This supposedly prevent shifting or movement of the bearing. The old one did not have these reinforcements.
P.S. fyi he also said they still have the fuel quick connect problem, happens between 2-5 years, garaged bikes out of the sun seem to have less occurrences and miles don't seem to play a part.

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #17 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Joe, this makes room for me to worry about something else...

Very much appreciate the update.
post #18 of 19 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:00 pm

Seeing that my 05 just blewthe cylinder with 7600 miles onthe OD i,ll keep you informed as to any warrenty problems and if the dealer drills a wep hole for the fluid.
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer259
Seeing that my 05 just blewthe cylinder with 7600 miles onthe OD i,ll keep you informed as to any warrenty problems and if the dealer drills a wep hole for the fluid.
Unless you know the mechanic real good, you don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of convincing him to drill the hole.
BUT...check the other posts on this thread to verify if you get the updated slave. The new one should have the three reinforced metal flutes around the bearing.
Take pics of both slaves if you can.

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in