Slow speed shimmy/wobble - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Slow speed shimmy/wobble

New tires & front brake pads - (ME880/BT020). Now I've got a slight front wheel shimmy, noticeable when I first start moving. Didn't feel it before the new tires. I've checked the wheel & the brakes, both appear OK. However, the steering damper doesn't have any resistance when I turn the wheel. Is this the likely culprit? I assume I should feel at least a little friction. Is this unit rebuild-able?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 3:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Slow speed shimmy/wobble

The damper would not come into play for slow speed stuff. Easy way to test. On the center stand (some one hold the top case down so the front wheel is off the ground) move the bars slowly from side to side. You should feel nothing. Now move them as fast as you from side to side - you should feel resistance to the rapid movement. If you feel none it has leaked out its oil.

With two new tires she should be smooth as glass.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 5:07 pm

While you have the front tire off the ground checking the damper, spin the front wheel and make sure it looks true ( both tire and wheel) as it spins. As John said, new tires should be smooth as glass unless something was bent during changing or you have a bad tire. Also, make sure the front wheel is properly mounted and not lose in any way.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Is it possible that the front tire bead is not set properly? The combination of tires you have here are the same as I have used for several years with no issues.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #5 of 11 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 9:29 pm

I have the same issue. I thought it's just me but I feel it when I pull off with the front wheel turned. I feel it worse when I make a u-turn when parking and I have to go very slow. At speed if I take one hand off the handlebars it wobbles slightly. God forbid I loosen up the other hand it wobbles very bad then.
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2018, 1:26 am

Every bike is a little different and may react to tire conditions differently. Of course it is the tires or installation, as that is what you just changed. And I have nothing good to say about mixing brands and types. But to lighten things up, here is a tank slapper you don't want to match:
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/lif...k-crash-video/

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2018, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
New tires & front brake pads - (ME880/BT020). Now I've got a slight front wheel shimmy, noticeable when I first start moving. Didn't feel it before the new tires...
My first bet is wheel balance. I'd remove the front wheel and recheck balance.

This is assuming that the tire is not defective and is properly seated on the rim. Inspection of the tire/wheel assembly while rotating should reveal any problem here.

HTH
Munmi likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2018, 9:55 am Thread Starter

Tire selection/mix - This appears to be the most common choice among those on the forum here. I've used them before with no problems. I also don't feel any wobble at higher speeds. Once I felt a slight wobble with the old worn tires, but this was with both hand off the bars at @40mph.

With the brake calipers removed the wheel rotates freely and looks true. I checked it on the top & sides (as best I could) with a caliper and it doesn't appear to be out of round. I considered balance, but wouldn't think that would be a factor at 5-10mph.
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2018, 7:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I had a brand new tire that was slightly out of round (I could see it) but it never really bothered me at all.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 11 Old Mar 6th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Some times a tire will hang up on the bead of the rim flange a tiny bit. this makes a dip in the tire. Hard to see and hard to fix, re mounting with some good tire lube is the trick. I have seen it twice and it is a pain. Clean the rim bead carefully. Older bikes like the LT's have corrosion and junk build up and if your tire man is in a hurry minimal cleaning is on the table. Ocassionally I have to spend twenty minutes with scotchguard abrasive cloth and some solvents of various seriousness to successfully clean the inner rim area. Not saying your tire was not faulty, keep in mind that the quality of motorcycle tires shows in their price. Every effort is used to make good tires by the manufactures.
Voyager likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 7th, 2018, 7:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Some times a tire will hang up on the bead of the rim flange a tiny bit. this makes a dip in the tire. Hard to see and hard to fix, re mounting with some good tire lube is the trick. I have seen it twice and it is a pain. Clean the rim bead carefully. Older bikes like the LT's have corrosion and junk build up and if your tire man is in a hurry minimal cleaning is on the table. Ocassionally I have to spend twenty minutes with scotchguard abrasive cloth and some solvents of various seriousness to successfully clean the inner rim area. Not saying your tire was not faulty, keep in mind that the quality of motorcycle tires shows in their price. Every effort is used to make good tires by the manufactures.
I'm with JZ and Beech. I would check for improperly seated bead first and then remove tire to check balance. If no issues here, then I would suspect slight tire imperfection.

Most tires have a ridge/ring of rubber just away from the bead to help visually confirm unifirm seating. Spin the tire slowly and check that this ring has uniform distance from the rim all the way around. Maybe make a video and post to youtube where John "Eagle Eyes" Zeiler can take a look.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Last edited by Voyager; Mar 7th, 2018 at 7:39 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in