Highway peg suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:48 am Thread Starter

Highway peg suggestions

Hey Guys,
I am new to the BMW KLT and love the bike! At 37 degrees I have to turn the heated seats down cuz my bum is roasting!
Anyways, I am looking for highway pegs for my 1999. Any suggestions? I looked at the Mick-o-pegs but are concerned that they may be kind of low to the ground whicle cruising. What are your thoughts?
Thanks for the help!
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:56 am

I started with the J-pegs. Never could get comfortable with them. Got the M-O-Ps installed at the CCR. Couldn't be happier. Don't think I would use them on the twisties but for cruzin' they're great. Cheers.
Bill
post #3 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:14 am

I have been using the Mick-O-Pegs for over a year. There is no problem with their distance to the ground. Now if you are zipping through the twisties the might pose a problem, but with type of riding I am sure you would prefer to keep your feet very close to the shifter and the brake.

post #4 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:50 am

Smile

I have a set of Ottomans. Not only for 1/2 the price of J-Pegs but they work!
Mike Patch is also a contributor to this board and will take care of ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RightOttoman.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	8843  

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #5 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:03 am

The Mick-o-Pegs are not an issue while cruising or in gentle sweepers. I would not use them in tighter curves.

Your choice of highway pegs are going to be a personal (i.e., subjective) choice. Try to hook up with someone else who has it and try it out. Makes a big difference.

Don't forget to check out Ron Miller's "Strutz" product -- a new type of highway peg for the LT. Do a search on that term and you'll see his post.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:19 am

Love My J-pegs

I got the J-ped XLs last Christmas. I'm 6'3" and I'm very comfortable with them. They are expensive, no argument there. There are several choices out there for you. I haven't tried others, since I'm pleased with what I got.

Keith
post #7 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:36 am

My (maybe more)

Bob's Highway Pegs - The cheapest, but also the least functional and possibly the dumbest looking on a $20K motorcycle.

Highway Ottomans - Reasonably priced, possibly the most functional, but I didn't care for their aesthetics. The big question: Are they still available?

Mick-o-Pegs - Reasonably priced, look good, but I didn't like the feel of them. Even though they are well-built, they feel like they're going to break.

KonTour's "Strutz" - Expensive, untested by me. And I have yet to actually see an LT with these installed.

J-Pegs - Expensive, but quality-made, and they look OEM. Great for riders less than 6 feet tall.

* J-Peg XLs - Expensive, but quality-made, and they look OEM. Great for riders over 6 feet tall. I used them for 35K miles and loved them to death! My choice.
post #8 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
My (maybe more)
KonTour's "Strutz" - Expensive, untested by me. And I have yet to actually see an LT with these installed.
The "Strutz" are not going to be made by KonTour and I haven't heard who if anyone else is going to make them. This is a shame as I thought they held the promise of an excellent alternative.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #9 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:25 am

There are also highway pegs you can get at sierra bmw that attach to the crash bars on the LT. They only cost $129, but you do have to modify the plastic covers on the crash bars slightly. I have them, and they work just fine, and you can use mick o pegs with them too, which I just ordered. Just so the picture is complete. jrlakin
post #10 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 1:33 pm
Gold Supporter

Is there a photo of an LT with Mick-o-Pegs here?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #11 of 15 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 1:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Is there a photo of an LT with Mick-o-Pegs here?
On their website.
post #12 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 2:42 pm

Smile RE: Pegs

Greg:

I use the Highway Ottomans and they are very confortable. I can use them as a foot rest or as a rest for my calves and stretch my legs out all the way.

hth

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #13 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 4:56 pm

I have the J-Pegs, and while they are well made and look almost stock, I don't care much for them. Have to splay my legs out too wide, and they are not far enough out to do much good. I have a 30 1/2" so I doubt that my legs are too long for them.

I suppose I'm spoiled by the highway pegs on my Harley's engine guards. I can rest my heels on the front end of the floorboards and the balls of my feet on the pegs. My size 15 feet probably have something to do with bridging that gap.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 5:49 pm
RMW

Greg,

I have used the XL J-pegs for 60K miles. I have not tried anything else I like better for my 34" inseam. Before selling my Dad's Lt. I used his bike with the highway ottomans and also found them comfortable but didn't like them as well as the more secure feeling (to me) J-Pegs.

One thing not mentioned yet is that a drop with XL J-pegs will very likely cause a puncture in your lower fairing. There is nothing to stop the pointed end of the XL peg from going through it. Several posts speak to this problem if you want to look for them. I don't know for sure but I don't believe the standard J-Pegs will do this.

Also, any footrest, you rest up against with the bottom of your foot will be more comfortable with a backrest. Leverage works out better IMHO.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #15 of 15 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:37 pm

Ottomans

Also tried the JPEGS and then went to Ottomans, they are the most comfortable for long hauls by far for me at 6'1". Installed in 15 minutes, I like that too! Jpegs are an issue if you drop your bike.

John
02 BMW
LT
98 HD FLHT
97 Honda Valkerie
65 HD Chopper
01 Polaris Ranger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in