Moving the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Moving the LT

Guys, getting ready to move from Ohio to NC...whoo hoo warmer weather here we come I am thinking of putting the LT either in the back of my pickup or if it fits back of the moving truck. What is the best way to strap it down?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:28 am

I would go to the nearest dealer and ask them. I'm sure they have some voodoo magic they can do.
post #3 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:48 am

Check in the FAQ section, there's a whole article on how to tie down your LT

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:51 am

The answer's in our very own Hall of Wisdom. CLICK

post #5 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Bet if you tried, you could find someone to ride it down for food.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:36 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
Bet if you tried, you could find someone to ride it down for food.
But Gee...Who lives in Ohio that would be willing to do this for a fellow forum member?! I wonder?!?!
post #7 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
But Gee...Who lives in Ohio that would be willing to do this for a fellow forum member?! I wonder?!?!
I got first dibs. Besides, I'm closer to Dayton than you are, Joe! (although based on your past history that means absolutely nothing. You will apparently ride anywhere, any time, for any reason. )

Mark, you're moving? We never even got a chance to ride.

Why don't we ride down together to your new location? And if Joe's nice, we'll let him ride along to show us how to take I-77 through West Virginia. I'm sure some other guys would join the caravan on the way down: Rock and Mike from Pittsburgh, Bill, Mike, and Jim from Columbus, and probably a dozen other guys I can't remember at the moment.

But to answer your question: if you are seriously considering putting the bike in a truck, I'd reconsider. Getting the LT that high off the ground is a recipe for disaster, although some people do it successfully. IMO, I'd rent or borrow a small trailer. The problem becomes riding or pushing the LT up a long, steep ramp; you can bottom out as you transition into the truck (especially a pickup), or you have nowhere to put your feet and you fall off the ramp. Not fun. YMMV.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:29 am

ummm, just a thought, but I wouldn't throw my bike in the back of a pickup without a lift or something
just Google 'motorcycle pickup lift'
I'd say 'just ride it!' =)
post #9 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:38 am
Super Moderator

Wisdom . . . hmmm!

First of all sorry for the long repsonse I only state that because this is a safety topic and you should only be atttempting to tie down an LT with a lot of information and safe procedures.

So here goes - I just read the Hall of Fame wisdom article that Joe referred to regarding how to secure the LT down in a trailered situation and I believe there are either many errors in this document and more discussion needs to take place regarding individual towing configurations.

First read the way BMW states to tie a bike down:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=3159

I repeat I do not believe you can actually do what is stated in the Hall of Fame document. So who is the author of these instructions - I would like to have a chat with them or actualy see if they have in fact actually accomplished these procedures on a LT. The only possible way to get soft straps on top of the fork bridge and place sufficient holding forces in a downward direction would mean that the secure connection points would be very close to the front wheel and would not offer great stability for our 850# monster. The further the tie points move away from the front wheel (to the left and to the right) the greater the stability however your soft straps and tie downs will contact all sorts of stuff under the tupperware and this plain won't work - or at least on my LT they won't work - I have tried!!

I would not recommend you try to tie your bike down in this fashion.

My Qualifications: I have an LT and a BMW MultiTrailer and have towed the my LT on many occassions. Please note I perform all this without assistance from anyone.

I posted this information several years ago, so here goes:

1. Remove the front fender - period!!

2. Remove the 10mm nut securing the brake line hose on the right side fork and let it be free as not to bind or hit that strap in the picture.

3. Use soft ties on the cross bracket on the forks - exactly like the picture in the BMW procedure shows. In fact I even use some towels to make sure there is no wear on the forks.

4. Use ratchet style tie downs - some debate here but not by those that actually tow. I do not believe you can generate sufficient forces with conventional ties that rely on spring compression - not the case here.

5. Remember you are not compressing the telelever or any suspension components. Thus the only compression forces induced by the ratchet ties is transferred to the tires so make very sure you have a high strength tire brace/stop and connection points on the trailer. Look for the tires to bulge slightly - against some portion of the wheel guide / brace. I have even thought of reducing tire pressure so I get a more resilient back holding force.

6. Oh yea do not get too carried away with ratchet ties you can over stress.

7. I only use one ratchet tie on the rear on the bar under one of the luggage bags. I do not find that you need to generate great holding forces as most of the tie down forces on the front tire are sufficient to hold the bike. Just compress the rear a few inches is all I do - straight down pull.

8. Do not loose / misplace the bolts, washers and nuts.

9. Drive a few miles and check everything and retighted in necessary. While I am towing i occassionaly look in the rear view mirror to see if the LT is waving side to side - if it is tighten up the ties. Please not is the trailer is waving side to side tightening the ties will not improve anything. This will depend on the quality / suspension of the trailer. Please note my BMW Multi-Trailer does wave around since it has independent suspension.

Since I load and unload the trailer by myself you will need to be careful, patient and safe. The weight of this motorcycle leaves little room for error.

I have dropped my LT 3 times - twice when placing on various trailers. (experience is an unforgiving teacher). Make sure you have extremely wide boards / ramp so that you can place your feet at all times in contact with the ramp or extra boards.

I would recommend in loading and unloading the trailer with your vehicle and trailer pointed "down hill" - not too steep. Make sure the motorcycle is warmed up and not prone to stalling out because if it stalls and there is no motor and you are rolling backwards the brakes may not function as you expect them to - both my drops!!! (Takes your breath waway!)

Well good luck - be safe!!!

I am planning on doing a Safety Video this spring showing how to do all this, I am a believer that once you see how it is done it will give anyone who wishes to tow the experience, knowledge to be safe and a good starting point.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #10 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:46 am

I dunno...

All of this controversy reinforces the sentiment:
JUST RIDE IT!
post #11 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:12 am

BMW procedure

Here is the procedure I used to transport my bike. Worked for me over a 800 mile trip.

Roy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200LTtiedownprocedure.pdf (586.0 KB, 64 views)

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #12 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:15 am

I have loaded the LT into the back of a medium size (24ft) Budget rental truck. Once I gathered enough courage and knowing it's a one-shot deal, I rode (sped) up the ramp. The ramp is rated at 1200lbs. I left the bike on its sidestand and then ratcheted it upright by using the tipover bars to the side of the truck using the bar matching it's height. I did not want a downward pull on it. Good thing I did that or it could possibly bend according to the FAQ. I just wanted to keep the bike from shifting side to side since the front of the tire was already pushed against the wall anyway. I then tied the rear down using the points specified in the tie-down bulletin to the side of the truck. I tied the bike in an "X" pattern to keep the tension uniform all around. I also tied the rear tire down as extra precaution to limit any forward movement. Yes, I did think about hitting the oilpan when riding up and it could've if my driveway wasn't on an incline. I tried to make as level as possible which helped. Also, you will need a person to help you unload it. I sat on the bike and he kept the bike from tipping over from behind as I backed it down the driveway. The oilpan did not hit the ramp when backing down the ramp. I checked the bike each time I made any gas stops and it was all fine. I moved from Denver to Florida without any problem.

It's the journey, not the destination.

2002 K1200LT-E "StratoLounger"
2000 Road King Classic "StratoKruzer"
post #13 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 1:34 pm

Smile

I have an enclosed trailer you are welcome to use but I need it back.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #14 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinne
Guys, getting ready to move from Ohio to NC...whoo hoo warmer weather here we come I am thinking of putting the LT either in the back of my pickup or if it fits back of the moving truck. What is the best way to strap it down?

Reverse it down,
Use the engine's reverse to slowly and controllably back her off. She'll go down without even using the brakes.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #15 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 1:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Here is the procedure I used to transport my bike. Worked for me over a 800 mile trip.
I've also used the "official" BMW procedure without any problems. I keep four soft-ties in the bike at all times. I've never had to remove any bodywork or use any tools for that matter. Just take your time to get it strapped down right, and check on it a few times after you get moving.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I got first dibs. Besides, I'm closer to Dayton than you are, Joe! (although based on your past history that means absolutely nothing. You will apparently ride anywhere, any time, for any reason. )

Why don't we ride down together to your new location? And if Joe's nice, we'll let him ride along to show us how to take I-77 through West Virginia. I'm sure some other guys would join the caravan on the way down: Rock and Mike from Pittsburgh, Bill, Mike, and Jim from Columbus, and probably a dozen other guys I can't remember at the moment.

But to answer your question: if you are seriously considering putting the bike in a truck, I'd reconsider. Getting the LT that high off the ground is a recipe for disaster, although some people do it successfully. IMO, I'd rent or borrow a small trailer. The problem becomes riding or pushing the LT up a long, steep ramp; you can bottom out as you transition into the truck (especially a pickup), or you have nowhere to put your feet and you fall off the ramp. Not fun. YMMV.

Uhaul has a bike specific trailer that is supposed to be great and reasonably priced for the rental. I would not attempt to put into pickup. Too high and too heavy and too expensive! Hey it can't be that far a trip. If you can, just ride it over there.

As heavy as the bike is I would use a trailer, if I could not ride it, that has a front wheel chock for sure. Secure the front at the trees down each side of the bike and compress the shocks somewhat to put tension on the front shocks. Secondary tie downs can be put from the grips on the handle bars down (but not too tight here) and out to the sides for extra support.

DO NOT tie down from the plastic bar covers!

DO NOT tie it down with either the side stand or the center stand in use. The bike should stand up straight and the shocks should be compressed, say 50% or so to maintain tight tie downs. Finish off by tying the rear wheel down just in case of a severe bounce in route.

Have a good move.

Tom

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #17 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 5:25 pm

I'll ride it for you!
Bike should never be trailered it's bad for it and you. You'll start looking for socks with a bar and shield thingy that goes over the ankle bone..
Rock
post #18 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 5:31 pm

Quote:

Where you movin to?

Us Buckeyes may be able to take over this state if we keep trying.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #19 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_King
I have loaded the LT into the back of a medium size (24ft) Budget rental truck. Once I gathered enough courage and knowing it's a one-shot deal, I rode (sped) up the ramp...
Will all due respect to my fellow LTer Road King, this is what I'm talking about -- anything that, by its very nature, is a "one-shot deal" is something I'm not willing to experiment on with my bike. Go with a trailer if you can't ride 'er to your new home.

I rented one of the Uhaul trailers mentioned previously. Reasonable cost, tows easily, has a recessed area for the front tire, etc. An enclosed trailer is better if you can swing it, of course.

Be sure to check your tiedowns at every stop. Just takes a moment to do a walk-around and ensure everything is snug. Those things can really loosen up, especially over the first few miles.

Also (as previously mentioned) for heaven's sake don't use non-ratcheting straps, AKA "cam buckle" units, rope, baling twine, or Silly String . They can let loose, unlike the ratcheting straps.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #20 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Also (as previously mentioned) for heaven's sake don't use non-ratcheting straps, AKA "cam buckle" units, rope, baling twine, or Silly String . They can let loose, unlike the ratcheting straps.
I use ratchet type tie downs on ole Toad, mainly cuz we gotz lotz of 'em around the ranch; however, did ya know that BMW over on the other side of the pond uses those "cam buckle" units for tieing down the LT in the shipping crate. Matter of fact, Lone Star gave me a ship pot load of 'em several years ago. The webbing straps are pretty stiff (not like the nylon or lawn chair straps) and the thangs worked great. Only problem I had wuz being able to pull 'em taut where taut wuz needed. I like the ratchets for doing that, as well as being able to re-cinch after a few miles on the road. The "cam buckle" ones just never seemed to re-tighten for me.

Not sure BMW still uses those buckles, butt if they do, your dealer prolly would like to get rid of 'em, if you ax.
post #21 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:39 pm

No problem with the FAQ instructions.

When I bought the LT, I trailered it from NH to NJ on a small boat trailer that I converted to a dirt bike trailer. I followed the instructions in our Hall Of Wisdom and had no problem. I used two tiedowns front, two rear, and the manager at the dealer where I bought it wanted me to add one more from the back wheel straight back and secured under the rear of the trailer. I did so, but I believe that one was not necesary. I built a "V" into the front of the trailer as a wheel chock. The tire did not fit snugly into it, I left about a half inch of room on either side of the tire. And guess what? After about 300 miles at highway speeds, at the end of the trip the tire was exactly where it started, it didn't even move that half inch to either side of the wheel chock! I was really amazed. I did check the straps and the position of the bike often during the trip, and it never moved at all.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #22 of 37 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
...Not sure BMW still uses those buckles, butt if they do, your dealer prolly would like to get rid of 'em, if you ax.
My dealer has a box of them by the front door. He sells them for $1 each, but advises against using them for trailering.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #23 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 3:22 am

One day my brother from Oklahoma showed up at my house in Florida with a 850 lbs Yamaha in the back of his pick-up and no ramp of any kind.

When I asked him how we were going to get it out... he said easy just like he put it in...no ramp needed.

He bet me he could do it by himself....and using no ramp within 15 minutes.

He said get in the truck,
We drove about 3 blocks and he saw a little half wall off to the left at a Rec Center. He backed up to it....dropped the tailgate and rolled it out on the level
ground behind the wall. He said you can always find a place if you look.

I lost the bet and learned a lesson.

So if you have to, you can make the pick-up work.

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"
post #24 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 6:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Where you movin to?

Us Buckeyes may be able to take over this state if we keep trying.
Moving to a town called Carthage in the sandhills area of NC. For us golfers it is about 12 miles north or Pinehurst. Going to love it!!!
post #25 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:

I do like the idea of riding it down Howard. I will be heading down in a couple weeks to start and the wife will stay here till the house sells. My only concern would be the weather in say Feb or March in the mountains...snow, rain etc. Not worried to much about cold weather if its sunny. I will let you guys know when the big move is and riding down would bee a hoot
post #26 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 6:57 am Thread Starter

I want to thank everyone for their input You guys are great!!! Pickup not a good idea I will most likely try to ride her down. It is beautiful through the mountains and anyone who wants to join me would be most welcome (more to help with the move. I will keep you guys up to date and if anyone on the forum lives in North Carolina please let me know, we would love to hook up for some rides. And if anyone wants a nice golf get-away let me know they have 43 courses in a 20 mile area and I will only be a couple hours from the mountains!!

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a very blessed 2007!
post #27 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:05 am

Mark, do you have a tentative date when this will happen?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #28 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 7:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Mark, do you have a tentative date when this will happen?
Not really. I start the new job the 16th of January. Hopefully the house will sell soon and we can get moved in Feb or March. Dont really want to ride the bike down till we have a house there.
post #29 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:58 am

Quote:
Not really. I start the new job the 16th of January. Hopefully the house will sell soon and we can get moved in Feb or March. Dont really want to ride the bike down till we have a house there.
Gotcha.

Your concern about riding through the mountains in February or March is probably a good one. Could be "interesting" at that time of the year. I haven't been that way at that time of year; perhaps others have input for you on that.

Congratulations on the new job, new house, and big move, and good luck with selling the house in Ohio.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #30 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:46 am

Yes what you say is true, but the bike your brother unloaded was not an LT. The LT if loaded in the back of my long bed (8 foot) pickup truck puts the rear wheel on the tailgate. No way I'm running around with the weight of the LT on the tailgate. YMMV.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #31 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Gotcha.

Your concern about riding through the mountains in February or March is probably a good one. Could be "interesting" at that time of the year. I haven't been that way at that time of year; perhaps others have input for you on that.

Congratulations on the new job, new house, and big move, and good luck with selling the house in Ohio.

Thanks Howard!!!
post #32 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 4:31 pm

If you have a pickup with a 7 foot bed you should be fine. The overall length of an LT is about 8 feet, and the wheelbase is actually less than 6 feet. My 2002 fit inside my 8 foot trailer's dimensions.

I also forgot to mention that you CAN use a half-height loading dock, one that doesn't end inside a building. I found one at the rear of a shopping center once to unload my Harley.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #33 of 37 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Yes what you say is true, but the bike your brother unloaded was not an LT. The LT if loaded in the back of my long bed (8 foot) pickup truck puts the rear wheel on the tailgate. No way I'm running around with the weight of the LT on the tailgate. YMMV.
No it was not an LT...it was a Yamaha Venture which is longer than an LT.
No the rear wheel was not on tailgate. You CAN turn front wheel and angle bike and strap her down.
Just pointing out there are other ways to skin a cat.

By the way my brother has a trailer....but uses this way when he doesn't want to hassle with a trailer.

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"
post #34 of 37 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:29 am

Here ya go!

I have attached a .pdf file that should help you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200LT Tiedown.pdf (586.0 KB, 41 views)
post #35 of 37 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:54 am

Helpful to me, and saved a copy of it as reference when loading in my trailer.

[note to BMW snobs -- don't even say it! ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedog
I have attached a .pdf file that should help you!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #36 of 37 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
...Not sure BMW still uses those buckles, butt if they do, your dealer prolly would like to get rid of 'em, if you ax.

Quote:
My dealer has a box of them by the front door. He sells them for $1 each, but advises against using them for trailering.
So, your LT comes all the way from Germany strapped down with these . . . but moving an LT from OH to NC using the same straps is "not advised"?!?! Got it!!!
post #37 of 37 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
So, your LT comes all the way from Germany strapped down with these . . . but moving an LT from OH to NC using the same straps is "not advised"?!?! Got it!!!
(614) 239-1269. Ask for Bruce.

I was there again today, noticed the box of straps, and should have looked at them closely to confirm they are what I described previously.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in