Cruise control - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 4th, 2018, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

Cruise control

Hi, newbie question here.
Is it feasible/costly/possible to fit cruise control to an LT that wasn't factory equipped with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 4th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Re: Cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfunbus View Post
Hi, newbie question here.
Is it feasible/costly/possible to fit cruise control to an LT that wasn't factory equipped with it?
Having done a lot of work / tests / troubleshooting on these BMW cruise-control systems, I would say it is not cost effective, neither easy to retrofit.

It was NEVER intended to be retrofitted outside the factory as even the main wire harness is not the same. In addition to Left-handlebar-combo-switch, you would need a cruise-control unit (hidden under fairing) and a lot of home made wiring to compensate for changes in main wire harness. And to add to complexity, there is a change needed to the throttle-body assy for the 3rd throttle cable (between cruise-unit and throttle-bodies).

Of course nothing is impossible.... BUT unless you are very talented with wiring, have a lot of patience and money trow at this problem, I would say it might be easier to sell yours and buy a K1200LT with more options.

In summary, you would need:
1) A different Main Wire Harness ..OR.. many added wiring jobs yourself (mainly from brake switches to left handlebar switch to cruise unit)
2) A cruise-control unit
3) A different left-hand switch assy at handlebar (included high-low beam and horn)
4) A different throttle-bodies assy
5) two new throttle-cables

Even if you get all these parts USED cheaply on EBAY, you will need many hours of fun, work and testing...
No dealer has ever done it because BMW told them it was a "factory installed only" option AND because doing above would be very time consuming at $85 / hour at dealer (my rough average of hourly rate).

Sorry for the reality check ;-)
gunny and johnbaker15 like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 4th, 2018, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for your very prompt and informative response. I'd rather be informed with a 'reality check' than bumble on uninformed. Thank you.

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 5th, 2018, 2:04 am

Re: Cruise control

Let's not assume the stock cruise control is the only possibility. Before you poo poo my answer understand I am 71 years old, have ridden since I was 16, and I am a current IBA member. Prior to purchasing my KT 2 1/2 years ago I toured extensively on a Hayabusa for 6 years and before that 5 years on a Yamaha GTS1000. Both had after market cruise controls installed by me and worked perfectly.
Here is a link to ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-...1ZZTbr&vxp=mtr

They used to be made by Audiovox and now Rostra. The use a pulse from a coil to monitor RPM rather than speed. A touch of any brake will shut off cruise as will pulling in the clutch as it detects the rise in RPM. In one bike the cruise unit was back under the seat and in the other hidden in the fairing. The gray switch shown is opened up and sealed with silicone. My older unit was vacuum operated and the newer one as in the link, was electronic.

Just an option.
Benn there, done that.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in