Just Lowered Driver's Pegs Today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:11 pm Thread Starter

Talking Just Lowered Driver's Pegs Today

Greetings All.

Just received, installed and went for a short ride with Suburban Machinery's driver peg lowering brackets. So far so good. Definitly a difference, even on the short ride I went on tonight. Gear shifter and rear brake is easier to find, though the gear shift takes a bit more "throw" to up-shift. Cornering is fine so far, but I am not an aggressive rider anyway so I'm not too worried about scraping anything.

Guess the most important part of this minor mod is that I rode about 3500 miles on a bone stock bike and read everything I could find on this forum BEFORE I invested in the lowering brackets. Thanks to all of you that contribute so much to this site. I really appreciate it.

Happy Holidays and Safe Riding...

Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:36 pm

You can adjust that shifter, not hard to do.
post #3 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:23 am

Keep us informed on the long time test. How tall are you? What is your inseam length?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:30 am

Suburban Go It Right!

I know so much of this is personal, based on body size, leg length, etc, etc, etc. BUT I LOVE MY LOWERING KIT BY SUBURBAN! Wouldn't want to ride without it. Every time I ride an LT without them I feel really cramped, and I have relatively short legs! I also have very bad knees. SUBURBAN GOT IT RIHGT FOR ME! Comfort city!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:40 am

Pegs

last year prior to a 5000 mile trip I put the lower pegs on mine and really liked them. I am 5'6 with a 29 inseam. About 2 months ago I went riding with a group of guys and we were riding the twisties very aggressively and I found myself scraping the pegs alot. So I put the stock ones back on. I am not scraping anymore but even with my short stature I feel cramped after a few hours. I am putting the lowered pegs back on. Tall guys must really feel cramped on a LT with stock pegs.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #6 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:46 am

I almost sheared mine in two pieces. But before that happened, I lifted the rearend of the LT in the north GA mountains and decided enough was enough. I pulled over and removed them immediately before I got myself killed.

They are great for comfort...but very dangerous for aggressive riding.
post #7 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:06 am

Regarding the shifter: You can also install an inexpensive product from Ilium Works that makes the toe part "fatter", and thus easier to work with. It just slides over the stock shifter.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:10 am

You made the right move for your riding style Joe. My concern was always even if your not an agressive rider but have to make that one agressive move to avoid a collision your might just stick the peg and lose it...
BTW how are the pegs on the GT???

Rich in Florida
post #9 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:48 am

Another one of those "I love my lowering kits and I've got a short inseam how do guys with long inseams handle it."

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratorino2004
BTW how are the pegs on the GT???
VERY high! I've only scraped the feelers on the pegs a couple of times. Wore through the toe sliders of my SIDIs though.

The high pegs on the GT is why some riders like the ergos of the FJR better. I personally like tighter ergos, even though I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. And with tighter ergos comes improved lean angle. And what could be sweeter than that?!
post #11 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:44 pm

On my last LT I had the stock pegs and a set of Highway Ottomans. I was able to ride long distanes with that setup. However, when I bought my current LT it came with the Suburban Machinery lowering kit. I was dreading my ride from DC to Albuquerque without the Ottomans. After 30 min on the bike I realized the ride may not be torture after all. Ended up being comfortable all the way back. Including a 900 mile day!

All that to say that I also LOVE the lowered pegs as well!

x2 2005 K1200LT, 1999 R1100S. All 3 sold. No bikes currently...
post #12 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:57 pm

Love mine, sure they scrape, but thay fold up. Mine has nice rounded corners on the bottom of the bracket now, looks better.
post #13 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 1:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Y'all do know that you can also raise the seat to the higher position? You don't lose any ground clearance that way.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 4:45 pm

Yea, but raising the seat only tilts the rear of the seat up which puts more pressure on the tail bone.
post #15 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 5:54 pm

Lowreing kit

I have been using suburban lowering kit for about one month and find it to be quite satisfactory, as long as you are not to aggressive in the curves. I ride one up and I have not had a problem.

Look Where You Want To Go And The LT Will Take you There
post #16 of 18 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

FWIW...

I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I currently ride with the seat in the "high" position, though I may lower it once to see if I can ride without instant charley-horses in my hips. Then again, I may just ride....

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Bruce

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #17 of 18 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Yea, but raising the seat only tilts the rear of the seat up which puts more pressure on the tail bone.
You are right, but that can be cured by cutting the front bracket of the seat and adding about 15 mm piece of steel as extension.
I had to do this as my power seat aduster lifts the tail of the seat 56 mm from the stock low position and I got the slipping downhill -feeling when the seat was in the top position. As a matter of fact I will still raise the front of the seat more this winter (and perhaps make it even adjustable - not powered, though). However, raising it still more will require small modifications to the front padding of the seat as it starts pressing the little plastic piece around the oddments lid lock.
I have some pics of this job but being now in Thailand I dont have my laptop along, but if anyone is interested I can post them after Jan 2nd.

And BTW, I also have the foot peg lowering kit and I am a very happy camper, too! In fact, riding bumpy road with the seat in high position I can almost do it like a motocross rider!

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #18 of 18 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:05 am

I' also have a set of Suburban Machinery pegs and like the added room. Before I replaced my stock shocks I was concerned about dragging pegs in the twisties, however I live in flat country so I used them until I reached the twisties and then took them off. Since I installed my Wilburs shocks, which raised the bike 1/2- 3/4 inch I really haven't had many occurrences of dragging. However when I replaced my stock seat with a Rick Mayers custom seat I didn't like the feel of the SM lowering kit. With the lowering kit installed my legs seemed to pinch more at the edge of the seat. With my new seat I haven't been as bothered about peg location. I guess its a combination of many things on what "works" for you. As for me I now ride with my Wilburs and Rick Mayer seat and am happy as a pig in mud! (I keep the SM lowering kit in the trunk if I feel the need for a change on a long trip)

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in